Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #1
JDDilly

Camping World

I have read numerous posts about the issues people have had with Camping World and wanted to give them a positive review.

A few years ago, as we were going to Disney World, we broke a leaf spring near Mobile, AL. It was late at so we went to the Camping World in Robertsdale, AL and spent the night in the parking lot. When they opened at 8 the next morning, I spoke to the service manager and explained we were meeting family at Disney World for Christmas the next afternoon. He got us in around 9 and had to techs working on or 5th wheel. Around 2 that afternoon they completed installing 4 new leaf springs with all the needed hardware and 2 new tires. We were on the road at 3 PM. They provided the best service I could have expected at a reasonable price.

In the fall of 2019, we purchased a new Montana HC 381TH at the Camping World in Monticello, MN. We got a great deal, and the purchase was good along with the PDI and a couple of issues we found. They fixed the 2 items as we waited so we could take delivery as planned. That winter we again went to Disney World and found a few more repairs. When we returned home in January, I took it in and had it back with all items addressed in about 5 days. After using the rig this past year, I had a list of about 10 items we needed addressed. I took it in this fall, and again, all items were repaired and I had the camper back in 2 weeks.

I think the experience people have with Camping World has a lot to due with the management of the location and not as much with Camping World as a whole.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
Bill-2020

I can agree that management has a lot to do with how well a particular location runs, sells and services it's customers. Wish I had your experience with CW.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

OP I have had the same experience. Tried an independent shop and it almost came to blows. My CW has taken care of me, to the extreme, since I started dealing with them. Had more issues recently, in FL, and was advised that as a CW customer ALL CWs would honor my warranty whether they sold my make or not - same as Marcus told me. I've had issues with CW and they have rectified them every time. I'm good with that. Thanks for your post.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
QCMan
Gone Traveling

As noted above, individual managers probably make the difference between CW locations. In 2015 we purchased a camper from the Myrtle Beach CW and at best I would consider it a very lackluster experience. Not bad but nothing to be excited about either. Fast forward to 2020 and our Cougar purchase and I was extremely impressed. The negotiations were extremely professional and the three hour PDI discovered a problem with a loose fitting on the suction side of the pump that was quickly addressed and the inspection continued.
Even though we were not new to all of this it seemed like every single system was explained in detail and with enthusiasm. The only thing that seemed to be missed was where the fresh water tank drain was.
I am not someone that is easy to impress but they did such a great job that I had to let Marcus know how great the experience was. We had worked together before on issues that came up about life memberships for the Good Sam club and he ended up personally thanking the folks that handled the sale and PDI at CW. In my world an improvement that big deserves praise.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The Camping World franchise in Houghton Lake was sold to CW around 2011. Before that, it was locally owned and operated as an independent RV sales/service facility. After it was sold, the staff "stayed on for several years". During that time, most of the same "eagerness to help customers with all their problems" was evident. As they left the business, through retirement or through "just moving on". things changed. Now, it's a "business designed to provide a service and make money".

Gone are the things like birthday cards mailed to customers for several years after a sale, phone calls to ask how things are going a week after the trailer was in for service, a personal invitation to the next open house at the dealership.

Service is still good at CW, Houghton Lake, but it's not nearly the same "level of personal service" that created a "family feeling of care for customers".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #6
Maineiacs

We bought our TT at CW in Harrisburg, PA as that's where our 5er died! Sales side was fairly well organized. Service side not so much. Locally we've been dealing with CW in Chichester, NH. Very impressed with their service staff.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
notanlines

Our sale went very smoothly at CW in Ocala, very professional and wouldn't sell to me until the SM actually saw my tow vehicle. Both major repairs have been done at CW in Fort Myers. They didn't get to be as big as they are without ruffling a few feathers. Every company has their naysayers. But somewhere they have done something right.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #8
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Gone are the things like birthday cards mailed to customers for several years after a sale, phone calls to ask how things are going a week after the trailer was in for service, a personal invitation to the next open house at the dealership. ....
I got a call about three weeks ago from our CW with a “congrats for the one year anniversary” and if had time to stop in for a one year full up service appointment and to check out the new 2021 line up, and assured me they could get a better payment if we traded up. I thanked him for the congrats, said the camper is in better shape than when we took delivery, and we had no notions to upgrade. I did get a $15 coupon in the mail before that for the one year thing, I spent the whole darn thing on tank chemicals!
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
Bandit12

Having heard several horror stories about CW, I'd like to add my 2 cents. We were on vacation this past summer, near Rapid City SD. Wife wanted a screen house since the bees were horrible especially when trying to eat supper outside. We went to the CE near Rapid and honestly, I was not impressed. We wandered around the showroom for several minutes trying to locate what we wanted. Finally found a display that had similar products but not what we were looking for. A further 10 minutes of trying to get anyones attention, I finally got the attention of the receptionist who acted as if they could care less we were even in their establishment. We went to Target and found a suitable unit we could live with on that trip. Fast forward 10 days. We were on our way home and staying at the Famcamp on Hill AFB near Ogden UT. The campground water pressure was so high, the dinky little pressure regulator I had tripped as soon as I turn on the water. Since we were staying there for 3 nights with full hookups, I suggested to my wife we go see if we could find an adjustable regulator. I found a RV dealer and we drove there and asked for one. No they didn't have one. We got back in the truck and start googling RV dealers. Called 2 before I gave in and called CW in Kaysville UT. THey had one in stock and we drove over. Wife and I had been talking about upgrading our trailer in a year or so to another Jayco. We had a hybrid and while we liked it, we did have a couple concerns and there was 1 or 2 comfort issues. While we were there I mentioned to my wife that this was a Jayco dealer, lets see if they have the model we're interested in so we could take a look at it. They did not have the model we wanted but they did have a 2021 Cougar 27SABWE with a similar floorplan. After looking at 3 different rigs, we talked ourselves into the Cougar. Dealer was awesome. He made me an offer sight unseen on my hybrid, and it was a bit more than what I knew the book value was. Once we agreed on a price, we told him we wanted a quick connection for propane under the trailer (for which they installed at no charge) and a Fantastic Fan installed in the bathroom, and we need it delivered in 24 hours. No problem. Here's a roll of blue masking tape, walk thru the trailer and if you see anything that needs attention, put a piece of tape on it and we'll get it taken care of. We showed up at 3PM next day, they had a crew out moving my hitch from my hybrid to the Cougar, finished the PDI, and oh BTW, I decided I want the backup camera for this unit. No problem, we'll get it installed. We walked thru and there were only 2 things that had not been repaired. One was the front bedroom door was out of adjustment, you could see daylight at the top of the door when it was fully closed. The other was the oven door handle was dented. They told me did not have one in stock but not to worry, they had already ordered one and would ship it to me. We then started moving our things from the old trailer to the new one. The sales rep even helped move a few things. 3 hours later, we were hitched up and on our way back to the campground at Hill. We worked till about 9 that night getting things stowed and ready for our trip home the next morning. 6 AM the next morning, I'm hitching up a brand new trailer, one I had not hitched up by myself before (the dealer did at delivery) in the dark and in 30 minutes, we were pulling out on the road for a 600 mile drive home. Within 2 weeks, I received a large box from CW in Kaysville. I expected to get just the oven door handle. No, they sent me the entire door. Took me a bit to figure it out, but I got the door swapped. They said they wanted the damaged door returned but there was no return shipping label. I called them and they emailed me a label and I sent it off. I have no complaints and nothing but praise for Camping World of Kaysville UT and our sales rep Rob Mahas.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote