Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
Brycar77

Outdoor TV mount

I have heard tale that if my camper did not come with an outdoor tv mount that I can contact Keystone and they will send the "mounting blueprints" for the stiffners or reinforced area to do so. I have coax connections as well as 110 ot the outside wall but no TV mount. Anyone know if there is any truth to this and if so anyone have a contact email?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2020, 06:26 AM   #2
dutchmensport

I have no answer to your question, but would like to make a comment though.

As we've "aged" our activity level has "aged" as well. So, we thoroughly enjoy vegetating at the campsite now. We've done the hiking, swimming, go, go, go when the kids were little. Now, we enjoy relaxing and just sitting. Thus .... television outside sitting around a campfire!

Here's my observation. If you plan on watching television outside during the day, you will constantly be experiencing glare on the television, making it near impossible to see the image on the screen. This is especially true with the television back against the trailer, facing outward. So, when watch television, we are facing the camper.

Throughout the day, we have to constantly move the television around so we can see the image. As the sun moves, so does the shade. We have a shade for the picnic table and we have 2 quick shades. We set up the television on the picnic table, or a small stand alone folding camping table we have. As the sun moves, so does the television.

The only time the image on the television is clear and not constant glare is in the evening. Even under the awning, when the television is back against the camper in the shade, the surrounding bright light casts glare, making it impossible to see the image.

So, we found keeping the television mobile was "our" best solution. Now, if watching after dark, there's no problem then. It's fantastic located anywhere.

I carry a 100 foot coax cable and a 50 foot coax cable so we can hook up the outside television anywhere on our campsite and have mobility. The coax also comes in real handy for campgrounds that provide cable (thus the reason for 2 cables).

Anyway, before mounting a permanent mount that will most definately result in an unhappy experience (if watching television during the daytime), you might want to experiment with the television first by placing it in different locations, including the side of the camper, and see how it performs (in daylight and after dark). You may change your mind on installing a mount on the side of your camper that you may never use again after the first time.

If you can put the television in your basement area, open the basement door where the television is in a completely shaded spot, that might work for you too.... until you get a completely unlevel campsite one day and when you sit in your lawn chairs, you roll over! You'll be moving the television, I guarantee it.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #3
Brycar77

Yeah we have fought the glare and I agree totally with keeping it mobile. We don't do a lot of television watching even when we aren't travelling. We have been sitting a 32in in the basement for football and it has worked great for every place we have stayed in our new camper. I have tossed around the idea of a tripod along with a good stretch of coax as well. But to be honest the TV is usually muted with the game we want being radio broadcast thru the outdoor speakers. My consideration for the mount was more about kicking back with the little lady after dark on nice nights and watching a movie without worrying about tripping over coax or an extension cord. Which is totally doable from the basement door. But its always nice to have the option I think. I am more curious as to how high up the mount would be if I had one or if the camper was even reinforced for one at all.

Appreciate the thoughts and input!!
Old 11-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
BrooksFam

We have just put it on a small table near the RV or on the picnic table if we want to watch outside. I don't think I would like the looks of a mounting bracket on the side of the TV.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #5
travelin texans

Your top priority with an outdoor tv is/should be anyone parked near you, they may not enjoy watching & especially listening to your favorite program or team while blaring next door. Been parked next to far too many of those drunken arm chair quarterbacks screaming on Sunday afternoon watching their outdoor tv annoying the entire park!!!!!
Sorry to sound like a grump, but in my opinion they should not install outdoor speakers or tvs on RVs! You go camping to get away not to relocate from the recliner to a lawn chair to watch tv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Your top priority with an outdoor tv is/should be anyone parked near you, they may not enjoy watching & especially listening to your favorite program or team while blaring next door. Been parked next to far too many of those drunken arm chair quarterbacks screaming on Sunday afternoon watching their outdoor tv annoying the entire park!!!!!
Sorry to sound like a grump, but in my opinion they should not install outdoor speakers or tvs on RVs! You go camping to get away not to relocate from the recliner to a lawn chair to watch tv.
While I agree that outdoor entertainment should not annoy the neighbors, a lot of folks go camping in groups and it is more of a social activity than a secluded get away for two.

In fact, most (if not all) campgrounds I have been to have a much higher population density per square foot than my neighborhood which doesn't usually equate to piece and quiet most of the time.

Sometimes a campground can look like a refugee camp with all the various rigs, tents, close lines, bikes and kids toys stung about.

Most CG's have a quiet time from about 10pm - 6am and folks should at least respect that, but they don't always unfortunately.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
Brycar77

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post

I understand that way and of thinking and very much respect it. I didn't mean to strike a nerve. We are very respectful to all of those around us even when others are not. in the most crowded camp ground I would dare to say that no other camper would hear what we were watching unless they were being nosey and trying. We do respect the posted quiet hours and are usually inside to ourselves long before that time. And for the record football is played on Saturday As far as relocating from the recliner if it wasn't for having to be on base 3 more years to finish my 30 years of service my recliner would be a lawn chair!
Old 11-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #8
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycar77 View Post
I understand that way and of thinking and very much respect it. I didn't mean to strike a nerve. We are very respectful to all of those around us even when others are not. in the most crowded camp ground I would dare to say that no other camper would hear what we were watching unless they were being nosey and trying. We do respect the posted quiet hours and are usually inside to ourselves long before that time. And for the record football is played on Saturday As far as relocating from the recliner if it wasn't for having to be on base 3 more years to finish my 30 years of service my recliner would be a lawn chair!
First and foremost, Thank you for your service to our country. Second, welcome to the forum, there are a lot of good people who will go out of their way to help you with any questions. As with any forum, you will get an assortment of replies, information, and opinions.

My Sprinter is not as new as yours is. But I do have an external mount for the TV (we use a ShadePro patio screen on the awning to cut down glare) here are some photos. Yours being so new, I would hate to start drilling holes anywhere to find where they installed (if it was installed) the support for the TV Mount. You may want to contact Keystone directly with your VIN# to get accurate information. I have attached photos of how ours attaches, but it is a 2014. Kinda out of date from your 2021 (congrats on the new RV).
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear TV Mnt.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	30729[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OutsideTV Mount.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	30728  
Anderson Ultimate 3200
2016 RAM 6.7CTD,4x4,CC, 38 Aux Fuel Tank, Airbags
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:49 AM   #9
Brycar77

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Jaywalker View Post
First and foremost, Thank you for your service to our country. Second, welcome to the forum, there are a lot of good people who will go out of their way to help you with any questions. As with any forum, you will get an assortment of replies, information, and opinions.

My Sprinter is not as new as yours is. But I do have an external mount for the TV (we use a ShadePro patio screen on the awning to cut down glare) here are some photos. Yours being so new, I would hate to start drilling holes anywhere to find where they installed (if it was installed) the support for the TV Mount. You may want to contact Keystone directly with your VIN# to get accurate information. I have attached photos of how ours attaches, but it is a 2014. Kinda out of date from your 2021 (congrats on the new RV).
[ATTACH]Attachment 30729[/ATTACH]
Thank you for taking the time to take photos for us. I am nervous about drilling into the camper and likely wont. But I would like to know if the provisions were built in to do so. We park our camper at our hunting lease and have shore power. So mid day fall and early winter Saturdays we are resting and watching football around a propane heater and cooking. Basically just weighing options on what we can do TV wise. Thanks again for the input and photos.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #10
Mike&Sandy

Just saw this one on Amazon, even has a built in level.

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Lockabl.../dp/B01F2OZ0VM
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 3.42
San Antonio, TX
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tv mount