Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
dcf

Is my Passport axle story common?

I have a 2012 Passport 2850RL and recently noticed excessive wear on the inside edges of two tires on my rear axle. My understanding is this is likely an axle problem, and indeed there's not much apparent bend to the Dexter rear axle compared to the front one.

The tires are 2 1/2 years old, and if I remember correctly inside wear was one of the reasons I got rid of my last tires, although they also were rather old.

I've checked weights and I'm nothing close to overloaded. We bought this unit used in 2015 and the previous owner rarely used it.

In checking around with a truck alignment shop I trust, I was told to align the wheels, if it required adjustments, would likely be in the neighborhood of $700. The tech's suggestion that replacing tires a little more frequently might be less expensive than doing the work.

An RV dealer who does other service for us said he could swap out axle itself and reuse the hubs and brakes for about $450.

The axle is a D35 model. The camper, loaded, comes in at or under 6500 pounds, compared to a 7500 pound max.

Of course, I like the $450 better, but wonder if anyone else has relevant experience.
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

I can’t speak to whether it is a common issue or not. But the tire wear could be problematic. Besides the cost of frequently replacing tires, abnormal wear could result in increased tire temperatures (exploding tires?) premature bearing failure (wheel separation?), increased drag (poor fuel mileage?). If it were my money, why risk it? Go for the axle replacement, but make sure it is aligned properly.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
Customer1

Take it to a local good reputation trailer shop that builds and sells utility trailers, not an RV dealer and have the axle replaced. The RV dealer could intend on farming out the job anyhow.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcf View Post
I have a 2012 Passport 2850RL and recently noticed excessive wear on the inside edges of two tires on my rear axle. My understanding is this is likely an axle problem, and indeed there's not much apparent bend to the Dexter rear axle compared to the front one.

The tires are 2 1/2 years old, and if I remember correctly inside wear was one of the reasons I got rid of my last tires, although they also were rather old.

I've checked weights and I'm nothing close to overloaded. We bought this unit used in 2015 and the previous owner rarely used it.

In checking around with a truck alignment shop I trust, I was told to align the wheels, if it required adjustments, would likely be in the neighborhood of $700. The tech's suggestion that replacing tires a little more frequently might be less expensive than doing the work.

An RV dealer who does other service for us said he could swap out axle itself and reuse the hubs and brakes for about $450.

The axle is a D35 model. The camper, loaded, comes in at or under 6500 pounds, compared to a 7500 pound max.

Of course, I like the $450 better, but wonder if anyone else has relevant experience.

I bent the axle on a small Forest River toy hauler a few years back and couldn't find ANY shop that could fix the axle. The two tires on that axle were noticeably canted out at the bottom and were wearing. I ordered the replacement axle through Forest River and the shipping was stupid expensive; the axle wasn't that bad and just jacked the camper up and swapped hubs, etc. Wasn't that big a deal. If you have a shop that will put a new axle on for $450, jump on it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
IMASAP

^^ This is good advice.

Also, a shop charging $750 to align a trailer is silly. Stay the heck away from that shop.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #6
travelin texans

My last alignment back in '13 was $125 per axle.
Tell that "trusted" shop NO THANKS & find an untrusted shop that'll do it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:36 AM   #7
dcf

Good point on excessive heat. Thanks.

The trusted folks are trusted because they did a good job on an insurance repair after a tree fell on the camper, but I think this job was just a bit small for them to deal with. Huge truck shop. The $750 was assuming they'd have to bend the axle back to put the camber back in.

The RV shop that said they'd get a new axle is a mom-and-pop place I've dealt with since my first pop-up, so I suspect they'll be fine, and if not I know where to find them.
dcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:38 AM   #8
roadglide

I lost a bolt on the rear spring along with two correct tracks hexagon plates. I ordered new yellow plates from Lipped and bolts . I think it’s possible the yellow plates could be different from side to side causing alignment problems. I would look at the plates and make sure the elliptical hoe and the flats are the same on both sides.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcf View Post
Good point on excessive heat. Thanks.

The trusted folks are trusted because they did a good job on an insurance repair after a tree fell on the camper, but I think this job was just a bit small for them to deal with. Huge truck shop. The $750 was assuming they'd have to bend the axle back to put the camber back in.

The RV shop that said they'd get a new axle is a mom-and-pop place I've dealt with since my first pop-up, so I suspect they'll be fine, and if not I know where to find them.
If anyone is aligning the axles it's a given that they'll have to bend the axles if it's out of alignment, that's how it gets aligned.
As I said my alignment was $125 per axle & they had to bend both of them, tires wore evenly for the next 40-50k miles til they were replaced.
Not to mention if it's an insurance claim they can charge whatever the insurance company will let them get by with.
Replacing the axles will not guarantee an alignment won't be needed after they are installed.
Personally I'd find a shop to do an alignment at a reasonable price ($750 ain't it) first then if still an issue move on to the axle replacement.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #10
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If any one is aligning the axles it's a given that they'll have to bend the axles if it's out of alignment, that's how it gets aligned.
As I said my alignment was $125 per axle & they had to bend both of them, tires wore evenly for the next 40-50k miles til they were replaced.
Not to mention if it's an insurance claim they can charge whatever the insurance company will let them get by with.
Replacing the axles will not guarantee an alignment won't be needed after they are installed.
Personally I'd find a shop to do an alignment at a reasonable price ($750 ain't it) first then if still an issue move on to the axle replacement.
The axles can get out of alignment if the correct track plates are set different on the end spring and front hanger . I know because I had to replace one side, the slot on hanger is 1 inch after the plates are set the back and front spring will not move on the hangers.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, passport