Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2020, 12:59 AM   #1
KathyAnn

Flojet water pump question

Someone turned off the water outside to my trailer and did not tell me. May have been malicious.

I noticed the water pump would not shut off. Turned it off. Read manual and learned could happen if tanks were empty, so I went outside and found my water off.

Turned on and figured that would resolve problem, but it did not. The tanks say empty on the wall thing and water pump won't turn off on it's own. I don't see how they can be empty the water is on again.

I just got the trailer 2 weeks ago.

Going to call repair person Monday. Just seeing if someone has any ideas.
KathyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:08 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

The water pump draws water from the fresh water tank. If your hooked up to a hose (city water) you don’t need the pump.

If your fresh water tank is empty, the water pump won’t pump any water into the fresh water pipes and won’t shut off. Try this: fill the fresh tank, then turn off the water. Then turn on the pump, and turn on a faucet. Once water is flowing strong shut it off. Do this to each faucet and when your done the water pump should shut off. If not then post back.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:51 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

What model and year of trailer? Some have a utility center in a side compartment with a hose connection and valve to switch between city water and tank fill and others have a city water connection and separate tank fill port on the outside. When connected to city water, your pressure comes from the hose connection and the the pump isn’t needed and shouldn’t be on. When the fresh water tank is filled (like when there is no city water connection) your pump draws from the tank and provides water pressure to your plumbing.

I would do as Chuck suggested above. Add water to the tank, turn off the hose, turn on the pump, bleed the air and see if the pump builds pressure and shuts off when all faucets are closed. If that works, turn off the pump and keep it off, and turn the hose back on and you will be fine.

The only time we use the pump is when we are camping where there is no water supply at our site, or when we are on the road and pull over for a bathroom break.

Good luck and let us know what you find!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
KathyAnn

Water pump replies

THANK YOU both so much for sharing your knowledge. I have a 2012 Hideout (Keystone), and it does have separate ports for fresh and city water. This is my disabled son and my home. I'm 64, low income and my goal is to learn all I can to properly care for the trailer.

I am connected to city water and sewage. I now understand there must have been water in the fresh tank, the water pump was on when my electric turn on so it finally emptied out and the pump kept running. I will leave the pump off.

I now have another question regarding the hot water heater. Which is a Suburban. I watched a video that had me release the value to verify if there was water in tank, there isn't, so I suspected the values were set to block water for winterrising (I'm in Tucson so not too much fear of freezing) While the video had 3 values to turn, I have one and am thinking I just need to turn that. I've attached a picture and I'm hoping you can verify I am correct.

Again, I am so so grateful. The trailer cost took all I had and have to save more if I need to pay someone to help me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wh.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	29895  
KathyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Turn that valve the other way so its IN LINE with the line that goes into the water heater. then go to the faucet FURTHEST away and turn on the HOT side. You will get lots of air. When the water flows steady without any air then turn the water heater on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
tech740

If you have already tried the water heater on electric with no water you will most likely need a new heating element. There must be water in the heater tank when that is turned on.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Desert Dog

Since you mentioned that you are new to campers, I will also recommend that you do not keep the black or grey tank valves open continuously when connected to full hookups. Only open the valves when the tanks are full and need to be dumped. You may already know this, if so please disregard, but I thought I would pass this along as well. Glad you got your water pump issue sorted out.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:40 AM   #8
skids

It is shown in the bypass position. Horizontal would bring water to the tank. I recommend that whenever you winterize and bypass the tank and remove the drain plug, you flip the breaker on the fuse panel. That will help prevent turning on the heater with the wall switch and burning out the element. Yes, horizontal for the valve is how you bring water to the tank. Leave the plug out when you first do that and run water through the tank to rinse out the water and/or crap residing in the bottom. Personally, I like to sanitize mine with the rest of the system, but if you have an anodizing rod connected to the drain plug, it might not be a good idea (suburbans). I have a Dometic tank so this is not an issue for me.

Tags
water, water pump