Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
B3Dcampers

Question for non full timers

We just picked up our 2020 Avalanche 313RS. The man at the dealership told us when we are not camping, to keep it plug in b/c of the residential refrigerator. He said it will make the life of the refrigerator last longer. Y’all’s thoughts.
2022 F-350, 4x4 dually
Jacksonville, TX
B3Dcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Dcampers View Post
We just picked up our 2020 Avalanche 313RS. The man at the dealership told us when we are not camping, to keep it plug in b/c of the residential refrigerator. He said it will make the life of the refrigerator last longer. Y’all’s thoughts.

Keeping the camper plugged in while docked at home port is always a good idea as it keeps the battery charged; the residential refrigerator runs via AC but can't say if the dealer gave you good info here as I don't have a residential refrigerator. We keep our refrigerator on all the time while parked in our slot at home to keep sodas cold if I want to escape the craziness in the house and watch some TV.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
tech740

We keep ours plugged in at home between trips. Only off for winter storage. Makes it so that we don't have to empty it after every trip. I am under the impression that high ambient temps inside can shorten the life of the parts in the fridge. We keep the air set for 85 when at home. Granted I am in Michigan so it is not the heat of the South that I am fighting.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

This is my first res fridge but here's what I'll be doing;

The trailer always previously plugged in year round for the converter unless on the road. I will continue to do that.

As far as the res fridge we're going to play it by ear. Always had the RV fridge and we just shut it down when not in use. The res fridge is going to have some parameters that make it difficult for us to just keep it on for the sake of it. In W TX it gets hot. The res fridge does not want to be in a hot environment trying to operate and I don't want to run an AC 24/7 so it can just sit out in the barn running. So in the summer, if we're not traveling, I'm going to keep it plugged in with the inverter and breaker turned off.

I trust an RV salesman to tell me about a refrigerator as much as I do them telling me about towing weights. I've had multiple vacation homes where we always turned off the fridge when we left and turned it on when we got there. Those things lasted for decades - longer than I figure I'll keep this trailer. If it decreases the life by a tiny bit weigh that against the wear/use of the ACs running 24/7 in 110-115 degree temps.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
Javi

Le me say this about that..

While I am new to a residential fridge in an RV, I am not new to owning a fridge in Texas heat. The 77,000 sqft building I manage is not only tin, not air-conditioned, but it is full of machines and the summertime temperatures regularly run 110 plus. We keep three refrigerators running year round for the employees to keep their lunches and water cool. We also use the freezers to keep popsicles for them in the summer.

Anyway, one was there when I started 24 years ago, one is about 20 years old and the last a Samsung that the past owner's wife donated when she redecorated their house and is around 10 or so. The only time they're not running is when the power goes off...
Old 09-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Le me say this about that..

While I am new to a residential fridge in an RV, I am not new to owning a fridge in Texas heat. The 77,000 sqft building I manage is not only tin, not air-conditioned, but it is full of machines and the summertime temperatures regularly run 110 plus. We keep three refrigerators running year round for the employees to keep their lunches and water cool. We also use the freezers to keep popsicles for them in the summer.

Anyway, one was there when I started 24 years ago, one is about 20 years old and the last a Samsung that the past owner's wife donated when she redecorated their house and is around 10 or so. The only time they're not running is when the power goes off...

You know, that's what I thought. I've got 3 fridges here with one in my shop and one in the garage both w/o AC and they've ran for a long time. My concern was a warning I had read about operating them in temps over 95 or something like that. Figured it must be something particular to the "RV" Samsung fridge. I've got a Samsung at home but temp extremes aren't an issue. BUT...

I just pulled up the Samsung manual and the only warning I could find is that it may not operate properly below 10 degrees celsius - nothing about warmer temps.

I may just keep it on and see how it goes (it would be much simpler). Since I bought it I've either been in it or it's been in the shop so looks like I'll experiment a bit with it. I'm a little uncomfortable about turning it off then closing the doors and just leaving it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
gearhead

Naa, plug it in a couple days before you need it. I've got a deep freeze and a beer/bait refrigerator in the garage that has survived 12 Houston summers. Residential fridge in the Landmark gets plugged in a couple days before a trip. They're not stored in a A/C warehouse before you buy them.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote