Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
Camping family

Smile Bed

What does everyone do to make the bed more comfortable. Wife says it’s to hard. Suggestion
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
bobbecky

Probably replace the mattress with something better. We finally got tired of the junk mattress that came in our rig and had a custom latex foam mattress made that is the same size as the mattress that came in our rig.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
Northofu1

Howdy and welcome.
Cheapest way is try a memory foam topper, if that doesn't help try a new mattress.
Can be difficult if you have an rv sized queen or king. I use a residential sized queen mattress in mine.
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
Northofu1

try this post
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...091#post410091

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:04 AM   #5
busterbrown

Most replacement mattresses will provide much better level of comfort vs the OE mattress. One particular brand that gets high honors and excellent recognition in every social media forum I visit is the Zinus lineup. We originally had a topper but needed something with more base support that wouldn't break the "trailer mod" bank. Took a leap on the Zinus Gel-infused Green Tea 8" Memory Foam. The overwhelmingly positive reviews were accurate. Here's the link to mine. It's available in different sizes and thicknesses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072M8KWW1
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:23 AM   #6
purebred

Mattress in a box

We had the same problem with our new Alpine. Besides the flat hard mattress we were also cramped for space with the bed size. I removed the wood frame and cut it down to fit a regular sized bed and now have a lot more room when getting out of the bed. We went with a NECTOR brand mattress in a box. After taking it out of the box it eventually became 11 inches thick and came with two matching pillows. Kind of pricey but well worth it.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:34 AM   #7
BrooksFam

We had a sleep number mattress in our last RV. Got it at CW to fit a RV queen. It was great. We have a Tuft and Needle full size queen for our TT now. Gotta get a good nights sleep.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:26 AM   #8
1tenor

We put a good quality mattress topper on ours. Went camping in it last week. Slept much more comfortably and cooler too. We got a two layer memory foam topper.
1tenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:04 AM   #9
chunker

The first thing you can do is get an RV that has standard residential sized mattress and not the "who knows what size it is" RV versions. I insist on a residential queen for a number of reasons. I want night stands to put the CPAP on. I want to be able to get beside the bed to make it. Most importantly I want to replace it with a real mattress without having to get a mortgage. With a residential queen, 60"x80" you can get decent quality mattress "everywhere. The current RV, the 2020 Raptor 356, never left the dealership with the POS that Keystone installed at the factory.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:55 AM   #10
purebred

Totally agree with ideas here about mattresses. Now if I could figure out what to do about the front hide a bed in the living room. Another well designed piece of fine furniture by Keystone. When made down into a bed the front half is about an inch higher than the back half. Might have to get a piece of foam to go there to equalize the bed when the kids and grandkids visit. Sure is uncomfortable.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:07 AM   #11
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
Totally agree with ideas here about mattresses. Now if I could figure out what to do about the front hide a bed in the living room. Another well designed piece of fine furniture by Keystone. When made down into a bed the front half is about an inch higher than the back half. Might have to get a piece of foam to go there to equalize the bed when the kids and grandkids visit. Sure is uncomfortable.
When I had the 2011 Raptor 300MP it had a residential queen and I quickly learned my older body wouldn't/couldn't sleep on the stock mattress. I initially got a a dual density "cooling" gel pad from Walmart which worked pretty well. I decided to get a mattress from Sam's which completely solved that issue. When I sold the trailer that mattress went into the house in the guest bedroom. Sometimes bed shape and size in RVs offer no residential solution. My sister has a Winnebago "C" with a corner angled mattress. I gave her the topper which works great for them. With RVs we have to be creative most of the time. The topper I previously got was about 2-3" thick as I recall. Note, all toppers are not created equal.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:39 AM   #12
Roscommon48

first off get rid of the RV mattress and find one that your wife likes. that'll do it
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:46 AM   #13
ewbldavis

new mattress...

We added a topper - definitely helped, but not enough.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #14
Camping family

Thank you

Want to thank everyone for the suggestions and help with this issue. We decided to purchase a serta quilted topper 4 inch and it has made a big difference.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:34 AM   #15
Rangerj

Take the advise. Don't waste your money on a topper. Just get a good mattress and be done. We got a memory foam, $300 and it made a real difference. The only problem is we can't fit a king. When we trade, a king will be a must.

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:53 AM   #16
dutchmensport

Eventually, in every camper we've had, we've swapped out the mattress. We replaced with the same one we use in our house .... Serta.

However, when our current fifth wheel mattress, literally, shredded, we replaced it with a Helix Click here. It wasn't cheap by any means, but like everything else in our camper, we want only the best! We sleep on this bed every night, year round.

For us, our camper is our vacation resort and it's decked out with the best. Good dishes, good silverware, good bedding, good mattress. Nothing second handed in our or a cheap way to go. Good quality, means good comfort. The days of sleeping on the ground in a tent are long gone now. We're now too old to be uncomfortable or 'do' to just 'get by.'

My suggestion, bite the bullet, pay the price, and and get a good mattress. Hang on to your old one so if you ever trade the camper, you can put the old one back in it and keep the new one for the next camper. We kept the original queen mattress from one of our previous campers for over 5 years. We put it in the house, under another queen on a bed. Actually, that bed very seldom got slept on. When we traded campers, we kept the good mattress and put the original back in. We ended up putting it on the bed in the house (as it was better) and burned the oldest one in the house. New camper had a King (The 5er), and we went with the Helix this time.

Pay the price and be comfortable, your back deserves it, as does your own private vacation resort get-a-way!
Old 09-19-2020, 07:07 AM   #17
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerj View Post
Take the advise. Don't waste your money on a topper. Just get a good mattress and be done. We got a memory foam, $300 and it made a real difference. The only problem is we can't fit a king. When we trade, a king will be a must.
Remember a "king" is not a king is not a king. In all likelihood it will be a variant of an RV king. By variant I mean there is no absolute size dimensions for an RV king and could be just about anything. Additionally with the RV king you likely won't get night stands. May or may not be important but is if you use a CPAP. Also probably can't get beside the bed to make it or even get into it. If you are handy in sewing sheets won't be a problem, otherwise $$$ and limited availability. When you decide the mattress is a POS you can't got to your local mattress store for a comfortably sleeping replacement.

Just something to consider before jumping on the "king" bandwagon.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #18
Cheesehead4Life

Haven't used them myself, but I have heard good things about https://www.mattressinsider.com/ for standard and custom RV sizing...

2020 Outback 341RD
2018 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Cheesehead4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed