Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

New Montana High Country 331RL First Impressions

I've now spent a total of 8 nights and traveled approx. 1500 miles with our new HC 331 RL and have made some observations that I'll share in case anyone is interested.

I came to have a High Country in a very weird sequence of events all of my own doing. I had many times walked through the MHC, Cougars and regular Montana's as well as many others. In our last walk through of all the above months before this purchase DW and I both assessed that the HC would not be our first choice....but forgot I guess.

The HC has the Road Armor suspension. When I asked about and investigated, it was supposed to be another version of the MorRyde suspension I had on my last trailer....it is not. From what I watched/felt it is nowhere near as compliant or as advanced as the MorRyde. I could watch the MorRyde all day as it seemed to sort of "float" over rough roads, dips and humps. The Road Armor is like all the other suspensions we have had; see a bump? The suspension jumps. See a hole? The suspension jumps. No smoothing, just sends it straight into the coach. That was confirmed on every stop we made; drawers knocked out, doors knocked open, debris from ? strewn everywhere - it must truly be a shockwave sitting on that suspension (it will come off).

Came with Ranier tires which I had removed at the dealership and replaced LRG Sailuns….very happy with that.

Interiors are not as nice and "quality" as our last trailer.

Furrion? I've never had Furrion before and hope to never have it again. TV, stereo, speakers, fireplace (help me!) - where to start??? TV? Programming in it doesn't even have the TV option in the source menu so there is no TV option - cable/air/satellite. Furrion? They don't exist for support other than every 2 days after an inquiry....if they feel like it and then the response is totally useless. I've spoken about the Furrion speakers before - never seen anything so cheap. Fireplace glass front fell off one side during travel. I will say the suspension caused that. The stereo is so limited and controls so arcane that I don't know how it exists in the 21st century. My solution? I will throw it all out when I get back and have time to upgrade.

Got that out of the way, now the "other stuff"...

Storage? We love the additional storage. Still have tons of stuff we could put in but don't need it.

Towing it? Much better than a bumper pull.

Slides? They are cable but seem to be either better supported, better wear bar construction, better motors...something.

Residential fridge - I was very concerned about that transition but so far we love it. Love it that we didn't bring our external ice make and let the fridge just do it for us. The extra storage in the fridge and freezer is an awesome upgrade.

This unit has the double sink vanity and so much bathroom storage that we positively love.

Floorplan/layout we love. Lots of room for 2 folks and puppy.

Light interior: I had mixed feelings about that because I've always loved the "wood" feel and insisted on it in everything we've had built or bought. That turned out to be a little offsetting when we spent 5 months in the trailer and all those dark wood tones began to feel like you were in a "hole" or tunnel. The lighter motif and higher ceiling of the 5th wheel really gives you more of that open feel you have in a regular home.

Ceiling fan: we love it and it gives circulation that is really needed in FL.

Bed/mattress: Came with an RV king mattress that as usual wasn't up to par. Replaced it with a residential queen and had the bed platform cut down to allow more room around the bed. Result? Perfect. Lots of room to maneuver around the bed to make it, get in/out etc. and DW made foam "supports" to go in each corner over the little cabinets to give you the feel of the full king bed.

Whisper Quiet AC: Awesome. Anyone that has spent days and evenings under the droning of an RV AC trying to listen to TV or talk on the phone knows how irritating that is. The quiet AC does not eliminate the noise but it reduces it substantially.

Microwave: Large - 1.6cf and works like a charm (not Furrion).

Underbelly: One thing I said I would never have again is Darco under anything in an RV after all the issues I've had. Well, I've got Darco. The major underbelly is coroplast which I'm good with. Slides have Darco which I don't like but I've dealt with it enough to know how to deal with it. The wheel wells which are very problematic have very little darco compared to our last trailer and the steel support/framing is much more robust and prevalent. As soon as I get back I will cover the wheel wells with hdpe or uhmw - just didn't have time before this unplanned trip.

Fantastic Fan: Fantastic.

Auto Leveling: I had been wanting auto leveling and came within a inch of having it installed on our TT. The cost and age of the trailer made me rethink that and I didn't. I LOVE it. I had figured I would get something with 6 point leveling but those come on trailers that absolutely require a diesel and usually a DRW - things I'm just not going to do.

Summary? We are very happy. I'm a bang for the buck guy (cost vs benefit) and we think this will fit that bill. We are easy on things and make them last forever so we don't see a problem here....unless it's the "pleather" .

Don't know if this helps a single soul in the world but...I'm sitting here alone while DW is with DD for a few days, have not another thing to do but listen to puppy snore so figured I would post some thoughts in the event anyone was thinking about making a similar transition.

Edit: Thetford Toilet; NO!! These things are poorly designed, they don't rinse well, not formed well etc. I am about 200 lbs. but I swear the "ring" for the toilet is built for a rear end about 12" wider than mine! It will come out as an upgrade as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:42 AM   #2
Mikendebbie

Good write-up. This gives folks things to think about when shopping and ideas for how to deal with items on the rig that do not meet expectations.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:32 AM   #3
skidoomatt

Thanks for your review. I would be interested in knowing about the upgrades when and how you do them, as the wife and I have a HC 385BR in our sights and is very similar to yours.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

About the only way to keep them from falling apart going down the road is another 6-7 K for suspension.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
About the only way to keep them from falling apart going down the road is another 6-7 K for suspension.
For that $6-7k you could do the IS suspension AND disc brakes, that right there is a FANTASTIC upgrade.
Would never own another large towable rv without disc brakes, worth every penny.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #6
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

That's what I was saying.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post

Until the last trailer I had always had a "regular" RV suspension and they in fact did bang things around. The MorRyde CR3000 on the last trailer was exceptional to me. I was constantly watching it work and always amazed that anything you put anywhere was still there when you arrived with the exception of our maiden voyage when we found out a retention screw was missing in the bathroom sliding door.

DW isn't here at the moment but below is a link to a video for a MorRyde suspension upgrade with disc brakes....looks very interesting to me and I've never been to Elkhart. Now, if the country ever opens back up it might be something I can talk her into (she has already said she is ready to go "back East".

Old 05-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Or if you wanted to go west I guess the do it in Bend Oregon too. If you do it make sure they set the toe in or they'll buying a set of tires like they did for me.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for that observation, I will be on top of it when we get it done.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
Papa of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've now spent a total of 8 nights and traveled approx. 1500 miles with our new HC 331 RL and have made some observations that I'll share in case anyone is interested.

I came to have a High Country in a very weird sequence of events all of my own doing. I had many times walked through the MHC, Cougars and regular Montana's as well as many others. In our last walk through of all the above months before this purchase DW and I both assessed that the HC would not be our first choice....but forgot I guess.

The HC has the Road Armor suspension. When I asked about and investigated, it was supposed to be another version of the MorRyde suspension I had on my last trailer....it is not. From what I watched/felt it is nowhere near as compliant or as advanced as the MorRyde. I could watch the MorRyde all day as it seemed to sort of "float" over rough roads, dips and humps. The Road Armor is like all the other suspensions we have had; see a bump? The suspension jumps. See a hole? The suspension jumps. No smoothing, just sends it straight into the coach. That was confirmed on every stop we made; drawers knocked out, doors knocked open, debris from ? strewn everywhere - it must truly be a shockwave sitting on that suspension (it will come off).

Came with Ranier tires which I had removed at the dealership and replaced LRG Sailuns….very happy with that.

Interiors are not as nice and "quality" as our last trailer.

Furrion? I've never had Furrion before and hope to never have it again. TV, stereo, speakers, fireplace (help me!) - where to start??? TV? Programming in it doesn't even have the TV option in the source menu so there is no TV option - cable/air/satellite. Furrion? They don't exist for support other than every 2 days after an inquiry....if they feel like it and then the response is totally useless. I've spoken about the Furrion speakers before - never seen anything so cheap. Fireplace glass front fell off one side during travel. I will say the suspension caused that. The stereo is so limited and controls so arcane that I don't know how it exists in the 21st century. My solution? I will throw it all out when I get back and have time to upgrade.

Got that out of the way, now the "other stuff"...

Storage? We love the additional storage. Still have tons of stuff we could put in but don't need it.

Towing it? Much better than a bumper pull.

Slides? They are cable but seem to be either better supported, better wear bar construction, better motors...something.

Residential fridge - I was very concerned about that transition but so far we love it. Love it that we didn't bring our external ice make and let the fridge just do it for us. The extra storage in the fridge and freezer is an awesome upgrade.

This unit has the double sink vanity and so much bathroom storage that we positively love.

Floorplan/layout we love. Lots of room for 2 folks and puppy.

Light interior: I had mixed feelings about that because I've always loved the "wood" feel and insisted on it in everything we've had built or bought. That turned out to be a little offsetting when we spent 5 months in the trailer and all those dark wood tones began to feel like you were in a "hole" or tunnel. The lighter motif and higher ceiling of the 5th wheel really gives you more of that open feel you have in a regular home.

Ceiling fan: we love it and it gives circulation that is really needed in FL.

Bed/mattress: Came with an RV king mattress that as usual wasn't up to par. Replaced it with a residential queen and had the bed platform cut down to allow more room around the bed. Result? Perfect. Lots of room to maneuver around the bed to make it, get in/out etc. and DW made foam "supports" to go in each corner over the little cabinets to give you the feel of the full king bed.

Whisper Quiet AC: Awesome. Anyone that has spent days and evenings under the droning of an RV AC trying to listen to TV or talk on the phone knows how irritating that is. The quiet AC does not eliminate the noise but it reduces it substantially.

Microwave: Large - 1.6cf and works like a charm (not Furrion).

Underbelly: One thing I said I would never have again is Darco under anything in an RV after all the issues I've had. Well, I've got Darco. The major underbelly is coroplast which I'm good with. Slides have Darco which I don't like but I've dealt with it enough to know how to deal with it. The wheel wells which are very problematic have very little darco compared to our last trailer and the steel support/framing is much more robust and prevalent. As soon as I get back I will cover the wheel wells with hdpe or uhmw - just didn't have time before this unplanned trip.

Fantastic Fan: Fantastic.

Auto Leveling: I had been wanting auto leveling and came within a inch of having it installed on our TT. The cost and age of the trailer made me rethink that and I didn't. I LOVE it. I had figured I would get something with 6 point leveling but those come on trailers that absolutely require a diesel and usually a DRW - things I'm just not going to do.

Summary? We are very happy. I'm a bang for the buck guy (cost vs benefit) and we think this will fit that bill. We are easy on things and make them last forever so we don't see a problem here....unless it's the "pleather" .

Don't know if this helps a single soul in the world but...I'm sitting here alone while DW is with DD for a few days, have not another thing to do but listen to puppy snore so figured I would post some thoughts in the event anyone was thinking about making a similar transition.

Edit: Thetford Toilet; NO!! These things are poorly designed, they don't rinse well, not formed well etc. I am about 200 lbs. but I swear the "ring" for the toilet is built for a rear end about 12" wider than mine! It will come out as an upgrade as well.
Glad to read you comments, just about to put down a deposit on 2021 MHC 331rl. Over all sounds like a pretty good coach. My wife love all the storage, but number one says she will not have anything with a window behind the stove. She doesn't want a greasy window or window treatment. Thanks
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa of 7 View Post
Glad to read you comments, just about to put down a deposit on 2021 MHC 331rl. Over all sounds like a pretty good coach. My wife love all the storage, but number one says she will not have anything with a window behind the stove. She doesn't want a greasy window or window treatment. Thanks

Papa - not long term assessment yet but more than 8 days.

We spent May-July in it and now since 11/4 (29 days or so). We are happy with the purchase. As in all things, particularly RVs, there are tradeoffs and we understood that, especially given my self imposed restrictions on a tow vehicle.

Furrion stuff is just not up to par but that's not a deal breaker - never had top notch electronics in any RV. TV had issues but yours may not - dealer said they didn't usually see the kind of problems I had with mine. Replaced with a 40" Vizio UHD smart TV. Wanted a Samsung but the smallest I could find like I wanted was 43". Cut out the Furrion speakers and replaced with JBLs. Disconnected the receiver (don't use the radio), put in a Sony BD/wifi unit and a Polk soundbar w/wireless sub.

The space is wonderful and we really like the layout. As mentioned we spent 3 months in it this summer and had no complaints about the layout or the general build. I'm walking, looking it over up and down every week - I am very happy. I will note on thing; watch the underside of the slides (darco). I've had many issues with the fabric but others have none - guess I'm snake bit when it comes to the darco.

When you get it, if you have questions or problems feel free to post or PM me. I think you will be very happy with your choice.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #12
Papa of 7

I believe the one we are looking at is the Granite, but either one is very nice. We will see if I get the deal worked out, and I am sure I will have questions. If I am not wrong you helped me tremendously back in the Summer, we just started camping and bought a Keystone passport 2950bh that we still have. We went all the way through an electrical problem( no 120v in the appliances) long story short, you had me to pull out the electrical panel and behind it I had a broken wire. We are not full timers. We have a few cows. Chicken and acres to watch over. But we have been out 12 times through the week Monday through Thursday because no weekends available. Have a trip planned for Monday to Rock Island State Park in TN. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-04-2020, 05:30 AM   #13
Skippy38

Very interesting write up. We are full timing in an Xlite 29RLI now and are considering an upgrade next year. Just curious, what made you pick the HC 331 RL over the regular Montana 3121RL? Other than price they are very close in terms of specs, weight, etc.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:40 AM   #14
Papa of 7

I don't want to steal Sourdough's thread, but wife loved the large bath, double vanities, and she said she didn't want a window behind her stove, and price.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:48 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
Very interesting write up. We are full timing in an Xlite 29RLI now and are considering an upgrade next year. Just curious, what made you pick the HC 331 RL over the regular Montana 3121RL? Other than price they are very close in terms of specs, weight, etc.

The #1 consideration for me was weight. I didn't particularly care what a unit cost but I was 100% hamstrung by weight due to my self imposed truck limitation. The 3121 weighs considerably more than the 331rl. As far as the units, a Montana is a little higher in trim level but most of that is just bling to me. We liked the bigger bathroom w/double sinks and the kitchen (buffet area). If weight is not a consideration then a couple of things to consider about the Montana vs MHC; the Montana will come with a 12" frame, the 331rl comes with a 10" (it is the largest MHC with a 10" frame; the next size up goes to a 12"). The 3121 will have 6 point hydraulic leveling, the 331 has 4 point electric. These were 2 of my biggest considerations when trying to assess them (outside the weight). They are both rated/warranted for full time living.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #16
Chanley8

New 2021 Keystone Montana HC 331RL Owner

Hi I wanted to know that since my 5th wheel Keystone Montana HC 331RL has the solar prep it seems to have a 2000 watt inverter and like 5 110v outlets with a special "SUN" logo/sticker on them. My question is will these outlets work without solar panels (did not install yet) off of the battery. My wife and I stopped at a truck stop that did not have a hookup and we did not have a generator. These outlets did not work for my CPAP. My understanding is the special outlets should work. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Chanley8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana