Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
locogk28

Dish tailgater

We are thinking about a dish tailgater and a Wally what else do I need and we are part time campers we have dish at home what do I need and do to get fusing when camping
locogk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Not sure what you mean by "get fusing" but I have a Playmaker antenna and am happy with it. Just set the handle pointing north and the dish inside the little radome points south and it acquires the satellites pretty readily. I set ours on our slide out most of the time but if you live somewhere where there are more trees (we ain't got trees in the way in South Texas most of the time) you might want to pick up a tripod. I have one and have used it a couple times when camping near a river where there are actually tall trees. I have several RG6 coax runs; longest 75' and a couple shorter. I use an 8' run when I set the antenna on my slide out. I have an old trailer so no satellite connector on the outside of my trailer so I put an all weather bulkhead connector on the outside by popping a hole adjacent to our entertainment center shelf. I connect the dish to the bulkhead connector and on the inside there is a 2' piece of RG6 connected to our Wally. I called Dish and added the Wally for $7 a month and added a external hard drive and paid them to allow me to use it. There is a small fee. I have a 12' extendable ladder I keep in my front storage compartment to put the dish on the slide and set up takes only a few minutes. I had the first Wally die on my when camping in a location with no OTA TV so bought a spare when they were real cheap and keep it for insurance. Since I bought it, the one in there will likely never die.

You can look up old post I posted that tell you exactly which hard drive you must buy (won't work with any but the one i listed) and you can also add a USB wifi adapter to be able to use the voice command feature which I quit using when they went to google. Again, you must have the specific wifi adapter they specify or it won't work. If you look at amazon or ebay, they sell both the non-Dish branded versions of the EHD and wifi adapter much cheaper. Last, I found that 75' is the longest RG6 run that allows antenna control and power to the antenna.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
dutchmensport

We use to have DishTV and used a Tailgater. The receiver itself is the key. We transported the receiver from the house to the camper and back again. We never bothered having DishTV reset for local stations when we traveled. We could get that over-the-air.

Find out if your receiver recognizes the Tailgater. Simply put it in your yard at home, stretch the coax wire to your receiver and plug in. Let the receiver search. Not all DishTV receivers will do this, so you should check with DishTV first. But, once you can set the thing up in your yard, you'll know how to do it in your camper.

FYI, we canceled DirectTV and then later DishTV years ago because they kept jacking up prices. We've been over-the-air only and some internet channels that has served us well, and been a lot less costly.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
GHen

We find we need to call dish customer service when we go on the first trip of the year to get it set up right, supposedly you can do it on the app but seems like it doesn’t always work for us.
Also need to call them when you change states if you want local channels.

Just don’t go Boondocking without cell or data service without testing it first, set it up before you leave.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote