Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Rollergirl

Question Rv Slide Outs

We just receintly purchased our RV and only use our RV on the weekends. We are currently closing the slides every weekend when we leave and reopening them again for the following weekend. Is it reccommended to do this or can we leave them open all summer long and just close them for the winter season? I've read alot of conflicting info. on the subject.....looking for answers?!

HLS & SSS
Rollergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollergirl View Post
We just receintly purchased our RV and only use our RV on the weekends. We are currently closing the slides every weekend when we leave and reopening them again for the following weekend. Is it reccommended to do this or can we leave them open all summer long and just close them for the winter season? I've read alot of conflicting info. on the subject.....looking for answers?!

HLS & SSS
In the owners manual of my first Keystone (2010), it recommend you bring the slide outs in once a week. It also recommended you do NOT lube them.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Jim W

Here is a link to the Lippert slide out owner's manual and service manual. Click on anyone of them and you will get a PDF copy of Lippert's recommendation for operating the slides.
http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...=38&Itemid=103

I would never leave the slides out for more than a seven day period. Both of my 5ers have stated this warning also.

In my humble opinion those that do leave the slide out do not read their O & M guide. They will also be the first to complain about the quality of the manufacture when the slide does not work.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
jq1031

From past experience I've learned that the slides need to be "exercised" in order to continue operating as they should. If I were in your position I would retract the slides every time I leave for the week & open them upon return. Also with the slides closed the chances of accumulating leaves, sticks & etc on top is greatly deminished.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

In both the Lippert Slideout and Keystone Owner's Manuals it advises users to retract the slide if the RV is not being used for extended periods and to actuate the slide once or twice a month to keep the seals and internal moving parts lubricated. So by retracting the slides as you do now, you are doing the correct thing.
In our Keystone manual, it also recommends that you do not walk or put your weight on the slide floor when it is retracted. The slide floor, when retracted, does not rest or lay flush with the main floor. Because it is not supported, any excess weight may cause the slide floor to separate from the slide walls. Consequently, if you plan on sitting at the table or on the couch when you are stopping for lunch or whatever........ you might want to rethink that and find another place to sit or rest.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
In both the Lippert Slideout and Keystone Owner's Manuals it advises users to retract the slide if the RV is not being used for extended periods and to actuate the slide once or twice a month to keep the seals and internal moving parts lubricated. So by retracting the slides as you do now, you are doing the correct thing.
In your Keystone manual, it also recommends that you do not walk or put your weight on the slide floor when it is retracted. The slide floor, when retracted, does not rest or lay flush with the main floor. Because it is not supported, any excess weight may cause the slide floor to separate from the slide walls. Consequently, if you plan on sitting at the table or on the couch when you are stopping for lunch or whatever........ you might want to rethink that and find another place to sit or rest.
Thanks for that, as we sometimes have lunch inside the coach at a rest area.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Joe:
We used to do the same thing until it was pointed out to us that Keystone doesn't recommend it for the reasons I outlined above. Your model is newer than ours and perhaps the slide floor sits flush and is fully supported by the main floor. Ours isn't. You might want to check your manual and your floor to see if there is a similar caution regarding putting weight/walking/sitting, etc. on your slide floor. If there isn't a gap or space or a caution, continue to enjoy your lunch at the table!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
KanTC

We were 'cautioned' by the dealer, not to sit, stand, or put weight on the slide-out while it's retracted/closed.

Festus, the info you've provided is correct for current models as well.

Online Owners Manual (page 54) dated 6/1/2011
"9. DO NOT step on the floor of the slide out when the room is retracted. The slide out floor is not supported by the main floor and
stepping on the floor may cause structural damage to the slide room."

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
geo

Bed slide?

I think, and it's only my own thoughts, that the bed (or bedroom) might have additional "under slide" support. At least it seems to by the two flattened slide tracks left in the bedroom carpet when we extend the bed. This under-bed support seems to make sense as there is quite a bit of storage under the bed, and who knows what we might store there - anything from hiking shoes to rocks and fossils! So far, no problems. And I will admit, in the past year, we have pulled the slides in and gone to bed because of 40+ mph winds popping the slide awnings. That said, I certainly would not step foot on the dining area slide when retracted or the kitchen slide either. I can tell the dining area slide is not supported from below like the bed slide.

I know, I might be taking a chance, but that's the way it looks to me.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
CPE

Post Slides in and out?

I was told I should order the second ac option(for heat in south) and I could live in it in Florida for 3 months(no mention of retracting the 4 sldes how often by the dealer) and travel other months. If I knew this, these vehicles would not be bought by many people who use them exactly like that. I would like an official response from Keystone as many are doing exactly what I said. (including the manager of my last KOA who lives in Ohio 6 months then 6 months in S Carolina).
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

While I am not full-timing, would it not be possible to retract the slides a couple of times a month "to keep the seals and internal parts lubricated" as suggested by both Keystone and Lippert? It doesn't take but a couple of minutes to bring the slide in and then put it out again. Perhaps the KOA manager is not aware of this recommendation or doesn't bother with it?
It is not surprising that your dealer made no mention of activating your slides on a regular basis ----- perhaps he doesn't know about it either - or forgot to mention it to you.
I am sure both the slide manufacturer and Keystone have made this recommendation for a good reason and following it might prevent future slide problems.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE View Post
I was told I should order the second ac option(for heat in south) and I could live in it in Florida for 3 months(no mention of retracting the 4 sldes how often by the dealer) and travel other months. If I knew this, these vehicles would not be bought by many people who use them exactly like that. I would like an official response from Keystone as many are doing exactly what I said. (including the manager of my last KOA who lives in Ohio 6 months then 6 months in S Carolina).
I think if you read the owner's manual carefully, there is a disclaimer stating something to this effect: "Keystone Recreational Products are intended for intermittent recreational use and are not intended to be used as a permanent home. Full time use will void the warranty."

While everyone knows that Keystone products are used by some as permanent homes, I don't think expecting the slides to hold up without following Keystone's recommendations is the greatest issue you may face if you're full timing. Run 'em in and run 'em out occasionally, what's the big problem with that?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
hankaye

JRTJH, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
While everyone knows that Keystone products are used by some as permanent homes, I don't think expecting the slides to hold up without following Keystone's recommendations is the greatest issue you may face if you're full timing. Run 'em in and run 'em out occasionally, what's the big problem with that?
With some of us "Fulltimers" the issue would be the skirting. Some use hard (plywood, OSB, etc.), or something else that is either screwed into the frame, or attached with some form of snap fastners. If using some form of cloth (herculite or whatever), then there is all the gravel or other material that has to be moved back and forth to allow detaching and re-attaching the skirting. Easier than it sounds. That's why CW and other RV supply places sell those supports to take the load off of the extension arms. Something most folks don't consider unless they are "Fulltiming" themselves ...

just sayin' .....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Hank, I can definitely see where it would be a "royal pain" with underpinning around the slide. As for the CW supports, they will definitely help with taking some of the weight off the slide chassis and make the trailer more stable, but I don't see how supporting the frame will keep the motor brushes (electric slide) or the orings and seals (hydraulic slide) and the gearing system exercised to maintain function.

When I was in the AF, any jet that sat on the tarmac for more than a couple of days would always have hydraulic leaks and electrical problems when powered up. In the fighter outfits I was assigned to, we had a policy to power up every jet at least once every 24 hours. If that wasn't possible, we knew we'd have a "hangar queen" by the end of the week.

I can't even begin to suggest how to best operate the slides or even if it's really that important, but I'd surely try to do it if possible just to maintain lubrication in the gears and keep the seals soft and/or the motors from corroding. I'm not referring to you when I saythis, but it's hard to imagine someone proclaiming that Keystone made a trailer that can't be used as intended, or that people wouldn't buy it if they knew of the recommendation to operate the slides (as some have done). Pretty much everyone knows that dealers will tell you whatever they think you want to hear if it will seal the deal. How many times have we heard about the novice who bought a 32' fifth wheel to tow with a half ton truck, expecting to be able to tow his boat (or jeep) behind it as well. Or the couple who go in, looking but not expecting to buy, fall in love with a floorplan and leave with the paperwork in hand and delivery scheduled for tomorrow evening after work. They show up at 445 and the dealer closes at 5, so their walkthrough is 8 minutes long so they can get out the gate before it's locked for the evening, not even knowing where the dump valves are, or even if the turn signals work. Those things aren't Keystone's doing, but they often get blalmed anyway. And to blame Keystone with a "bad problem" because they recommend that slides be operated weekly is pointing fingers at the wrong entity. To demand in this forum that Keystone give an explanation why they weren't informed of this requirement is not going to resolve any issue. We know that if (and that's a far stretch), IF Keystone even sees a comment on here, to my knowledge, they've never responded.

I know that when I put mine away in the late fall, winterized, batteries out, vent's covered and sealed, cushions placed so they won't have one side with no air flow, it'd be mighty darned hard (if not impossible) to operate the slide while under the cover. It sits like that for up to 5 months and I have no idea how to meet Keystone's recommendation either. But that doesn't change the fact that Keystone recommends exercising the slides weekly. I'd venture to say that my Keystone product is NOT inferior because "they" didn't tell me before I bought it. I can't imagine how it becomes unsuitable for use because of the recommendation to operate the slide periodically.

Keystone has problems, they build a product on an assembly line. But to say that a recommendation to operate a slide makes Keystone an "inferior product" just goes against the grain..... Excuse the rant, sometimes I'm "bad" I guess.

Like you, Just sayin' .....

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
CPE

NOT a rant thanks. I see many parked over weeks in camp grounds slides and some awnings secured out and tied down) extended and not heard of any failures from this. I did not say or think they built an inferior product; in fact I posted in here that I would def buy another. Customer Service is the worst of any company I have dealt with over the years,though.
As someone else said here when you take it out the door you own it and got it in many cases.
Just curious---- how often would make it "intermittent"? A vague term if used by a manufacturer; a recommended frequency would be a better guide, as it is with motor vehicles, etc for something that is important. We can all guess what is intermittent to us. I am trying to find a frequency suggested by Keystone or Lippert that I certainly agree should be followed per other postings here. It would seem this would even be a caution as is tire pressure checks, wheel lug torque check, etc,by one of them.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Not wanting to belabor the point but there doesn't seem to be much sense in asking or suggesting that Keystone or any other manufacturer precisely prescribe what they mean by "intermittent", "regular" or any other vague time frame. Do you want them to give you a specific day of the week? Every Tuesday? Their intent is clear. Do it. Regularly. Every so often. Once in a while.
We all have different interpretations of what these terms mean. Whatever term you like- go with it.
My Keystone Manual specifies "once or twice a week during extended travel stays". Lippert's manual says "actuate the slides once or twice a month". These times may not be in step, but the intent is to bring them in and out on a regular basis. Those recommendations are fairly clear to me and I don't require anything more specific than "regular".
Old 08-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
CPE

ended! there is nothing definite even both of those have different ideas I will do so intermittently. Thanks don't meant to rave. Appreciate all factual information I may get here!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
mikell

Swept the sliders off and did the in and out. Only problem is the one under the dinette the seal is off and on the ground.Checked the book hadn't done it since May not going to worry about it till were gonna hit the road.

BTW looked online at a 2005 Freightliner with a Cummings,dual cab,6 speed auto 24 mpg 76k miles for 26500$ might have a closer look Thursday. It should handle the 13000 lb Alpine 3640rl beast with no trouble. Room for a built in diesel genny too.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Lluker

I have seen several notes in various posts re the "owner's manual" or just the TT's manual... um, where does one get this "manual"?
Didn't come with our "new to us" '08 Passport 285RLS....
Lluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lluker View Post
I have seen several notes in various posts re the "owner's manual" or just the TT's manual... um, where does one get this "manual"?
Didn't come with our "new to us" '08 Passport 285RLS....
It's a generic RV owners manual produced by Keystone and is available on their website for download.

If you don't have manuals for the various appliances, etc., get the model numbers from them and then go to the various manufacturers' websites. All of their manuals are available for download.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote