Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^^ X2 (what Chip said)...

It may sound "overly simplistic" but the black tank is nothing more than a "bucket of poo" (with a lid on it). You can add all kinds of "monitor systems" or "detector systems" but when it's full, it's full (no matter what that push button light thing says)....

On every trailer we've ever owned (50+ years worth means many more than a few) we can tell when the black tank is approaching full. There's a distinctive change in the sound when flushing for about the last 10 or 15 flushes. That's usually a "full day of business" before nothing else goes down the chute....

Through experience, we "know" that we can dry camp (or camp with full hookups) for 4 days before we start 'getting close" and we can estimate when the flush will start "sounding different. I honestly can't remember the last time I pushed the button to see how full my black tank was. For me, it's more a "check the registration date on the pole in front of the campsite for the number of days so far".... I've found that to be just as accurate (or maybe even more accurate) than the monitor system with all those fancy lights that blink (or don't)...... KISS, it worked with chamber pots, it works with black tanks too ......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #22
Claudius

We never hook up, and potty generally doesn't get used till the night. We use the outhouse. So its maybe 2 weeks before we dump. We have never payed attention to the sound....i get that . Doesn't work well with gray and fresh though...lol
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Gray and fresh tank monitor probes don't foul as easily as black tank probes. There's no TP or poo to get hung up on the probes. We've never had an issue with gray or fresh monitor systems, just the black tank and that's the only one with the "need to listen for a sound change".....

But, I can say that we also know from experience, how many days we can camp, how many showers we can take and how long the fresh water will last without needing to monitor the status. After using the trailer for a while (4 or 5 camping trips), the monitor system just doesn't get used, we already know the tank status before we walk by and push the button.

It's sort of like knowing how many hot dogs we eat for lunch, so if we're going to have hot dogs for 3 lunches, we know how many to put in the refrigerator and how many packages of buns to bring along... For us, the tank status is pretty much the same, we know before we leave home how full the tanks will be when we break camp to leave the campground to head back home based on past camping trips. The monitor system just doesn't get used much, if any at all.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #24
Claudius

I'm starting to see what some of you are getting at. Although i have been Camping for almost 60 years, we only went on 3-4 week excursions out of each year when i was working. I know my Truck because i'm in it every day. I know what it sounds like and its behavior. The trailer would have that also, now retired for some years we have time to spend more time listening...lol. Thanks... it does make sense.
Lets get back to my PAINT, which is what i came here in the first place.......lol
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Your paint was addressed in post #10. You won't find any paint (other than a custom mixed color) that will match the paint on any 5 or 6 year old trailer. You're either going to have to (as you indicated) use some striping tape to mask the damaged paint or paint the entire side with something that's close. No "rattle can color" will match and most (again, as you indicated) custom matching isn't accurate. There's no "easy, sure way" to match 5 year old, faded paint.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
paint