Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
Searay9451

Hot water heater

I have a Grand Touring M-2510-RB. We have been running the hot water heater on electric only.
Last night the red light that is between the gas and electric switch for the hot water heater came on.

I have looked at several forums and googled it and some say the light has nothing to do with the electric on the gas. Some say the light is supposed to be on when the electric is on. Others say it's low pressure water supply or overheated.

We still have hot water. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Searay9451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The red light between my electric and gas switches says "dsi fault" which I assume means you have a problem with your ignition spark. I've not dug into it yet.

Edit; I failed to add that the spark is for the gas operation. The electric would still work explaining why you still have hot water. You might turn off the water heater. Make sure the stove is running properly "burners" operate properly then try the gas switch for the water heater again.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Searay9451

Thanks Sourdough, I haven't used the gas so that was why I was thrown off on why the light came on.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
Javi

The lockout lamp only comes on when the hot water heater attempts and fails to ignite the burner. The light comes on after three failed attempts by the gas pilot to ignite the burner. It indicates a problem. So, if I understand correctly, no light means it's working ok

If you want to see it come on just turn off the gas at the tank and open the hot water valve in a sink until the heater tries to relight the burner. After it fails to light the burner the lockout lamp will come on to let you know there is a problem.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Searay9451

Thanks Javi, We were not and have not used the gas and the gas switch is off for the hot water heater. We are only using electricity to heat the water.

The light came on last night and has stayed on since. That's why I was on this forum.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searay9451 View Post
Thanks Javi, We were not and have not used the gas and the gas switch is off for the hot water heater. We are only using electricity to heat the water.

The light came on last night and has stayed on since. That's why I was on this forum.
Was it me... I'd turn on the propane and see if it'll light...
Old 01-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #7
Searay9451

I was thinking the same thing Javi. Thanks
Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^x2. If it were me I would check to make sure it works and be sure you don't have some other sort of issue. Make sure you don't have air in the lines if you haven't been using LP by turning on the stove burners like I mentioned; make sure the LP ad electric switches are off, then turn it on (LP) to see if it will ignite. As Javi mentioned, prior to doing that you might run the hot water down with both switches off to make sure it is going to try to heat water when you turn on the LP switch.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
bobbecky

I think I read that the little red light comes on when the ignitor is operating to light the gas side. Ours comes on when we switch the gas on, and in a few seconds, it goes off and the gas is burning. I found this troubleshooting manual on a Heartland site several years ago, and it had this description of the sequence for the gas side operation:

"To operate in LP mode, turn on the LP rocker switch in your control panel. A small indicator light will illuminate for about 15 seconds to let you know that the ignition sequence is underway. During the 15 seconds, the control board will attempt to purge air from the propane feed line and then will attempt to light the propane 3 times over the next 6 seconds. If it fails, the water heater will lock the LP operation for safety reasons and the light will stay on. To clear the lockout, turn the switch off for 10 seconds and then turn on again to retry. Note that if the water in the tank is already heated, the ignition sequence may not occur until the water cools to less than 100 degrees."
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, hot water heater, water, water heater