Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
jb238smw

Question Hot Water Tank in 2007 Outback

I just bought a 2007 Outback and think I have everything figured out except for the hot water system. The heater is an Atwood which, after looking at some other posts and at the unit itself, doesn't seem to have the external switch. So, I'm assuming that using either the gas or electric interior switches will provide hot water. Now my question is this: Is there a way of filling just the hot water tank, or do you have to fill the potable tank in order to fill the hot water tank? If it is necessary to fill the potable tank, is there a priority on which tank is filled first? I know - seems kind of stupid, but if I know I'm going to be using external (city) water, then why fill the potable tank just to get hot water?
jb238smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
14george

Hook to city water open hot water fvalve let air out make sure you got water in tank before turning on tank by the way welcome to the fourm there is a switch on the outside behind the gas line
Old 09-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb238smw View Post
I just bought a 2007 Outback and think I have everything figured out except for the hot water system. The heater is an Atwood which, after looking at some other posts and at the unit itself, doesn't seem to have the external switch. So, I'm assuming that using either the gas or electric interior switches will provide hot water. Now my question is this: Is there a way of filling just the hot water tank, or do you have to fill the potable tank in order to fill the hot water tank? If it is necessary to fill the potable tank, is there a priority on which tank is filled first? I know - seems kind of stupid, but if I know I'm going to be using external (city) water, then why fill the potable tank just to get hot water?
Perhaps this thread which is only a couple of days old will help answer your questions: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=30239

In short, think of the HW tank as part of the piping and not a holding tank. No matter which source (FW tank or city water) you use, the pipes are filled up and stay filled up including the HW heater.

There's also a lot of good info on winterizing your HW heater in that thread, so I encourage you to read all of the posts.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
jb238smw

Thanks - so are you saying that hooking up to city water will fill up both the FW and hot water tanks, or just the hot water? Sorry to be so ignorant, but this is my first experience with an RV.
jb238smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
Bostongone

For the older and simpler TTs (I have a 2008 Springdale) the city water connection will fill the hot water tank as part of the TT plumbing but the fresh water tank is filled only by the gravity feed input port which should be right next to the city water inlet.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

If you are just going to be using a city water supply you don't need to fill your fresh water tank, and when just hooked to the water supply it won't fill that tank. It will fill the HW tank IF the bypass valve is opened so that it can fill. If it is turned off the water from the city inlet will bypass it. Make sure it wasn't winterized and the hot water heater wasn't taken out of the loop.

Make sure the bypass is set so the tank will fill, make sure the plug is in the HW heater and the pressure relief valve is closed. Connect to the city water and turn it on (make sure all faucets/inside, outside showers are off). After water is connected it should fill the HW tank and the lines. Turn on each faucet, cold then hot. The hot will spew and sputter until water comes out. If you get nothing from the hot side re-check the bypass valve.

You mentioned you had an Atwood HW heater. Mine (2014) does not have an external switch on the tank - I believe the Suburban does. Once you have the tank filled I just turn on the electric switch, propane switch or both depending on what I need/want. Don't turn on the electric until you know the HW tank has water in it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You'll know you have the tank filled by going inside and opening a hot water faucet. If you get water, it's filled. If you dont, it's not.

You only fill the fresh water when you're not connected to city water. When connected to city water, the fresh tank won't fill, unless you set it to fill (if your trailer is equipped that way).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback, tank, water