Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Olsen29

Drok meter install

I bought one of these
DROK DC 0-120V 0-100A Digital Multimeter Charge-Discharge Battery Tester, Volt Meter/Ammeter/Watt Meter/Time/Capacity/Electricity Usage Monitor, LCD C https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5CWR2P..._otilwrQhgKIuL

I am so impressed with the capability of this little thing. Now I'm looking for advice. Would it be better to install the shunt-transmitter at the battery or the inverter and why. Does it even matter?

I would like to install at the inverter closer to the meter and dry.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If you are trying to monitor your battery charge and discharge I would think that the you would want it connected near the battery. I am also assuming you are talking about the "converter" unless you have installed an "inverter". Connected at the converter I think would only show charge rate when on shore power and not discharge when unplugged. I have been wrong before but this is my 2˘, Hank ....... It does look like an interesting meter for the price.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Maybe hooking it up at the 12V side of the power distribution box would show output of converter when plugged in and battery charge when unplugged.
Just my personal opinion but I think a person can get caught up up in "gadgets" and lose the whole idea of enjoying RV'ing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:37 AM   #4
Olsen29

Yeah, I like gadgets. And roughing it smoothly. Information is power. If you can't measure it, you can't manage it.
I will try it at the converter/power distribution box and see what happens. Just hoping to find someone that has tried it.
Thanks.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:46 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I use a few of the cheaper Baylite (nice units). Basically you put the shunt in the leg of the circuit you want to monitor.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen29 View Post
... Would it be better to install the shunt-transmitter at the battery or the inverter and why. Does it even matter?
If your goal is to monitor current in and out of the battery, then the shunt needs to go at the battery, putting it at the converter would add the line loss of the cables to the battery and I am not sure how that would affect the accuracy of the readings.

I guess your could try it both ways and report back any differences

-Brian
Old 06-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

As I stated place the shunt in the leg of the overall circuit you want to measure. In general shunts are not rated in ohms. My shunt has a 75mv and I assume this meter is in that range also. So if you are concerned about loading down the circuit being measured worry about something else. My shunt adds around 750 micro ohms in the circuit. So you may want to be more worried about loose connections in the circuit.

Have to admit more information you have from various sources will drive you off the cuff. Do not ask how I know
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:17 AM   #8
Olsen29

Thank you for the advice. I was hoping I could install it at the converter end. I might anyway and then at the battery to compare the results. If I put it in a weather box I could put a disconnect switch there too.