Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #21
Sarge2

Most if not all, dual fuel generators come with a regulator and hose to attach to a propane tank.. I'd just carry a spare tank to use... no muss fuss or re-fabbing anything... JMHO
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #22
travelin texans

I'd tee off one of the onboard tanks before the changeover regulator, add a shut off valve, then go to the genny with the supplied hose & regulator. Much less work than carrying extra tanks.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #23
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'd tee off one of the onboard tanks before the changeover regulator, add a shut off valve, then go to the genny with the supplied hose & regulator. Much less work than carrying extra tanks.
Excellent Idea... but I was trying to make it simple... no fab work at all.. I carry an extra propane tank most times anyway... of course I built a holder in the bed for it so it can't move around.... but that's me..lol
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:31 PM   #24
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You can NOT run a generator connected to the trailer's "regulated quick disconnect". The pressure is not the same as the generator's required operating pressure. Trailer QD (and internal appliance) operating pressure is 11" WD. That is approximately 0.4 PSI. Most generators operate at 1 PSI or greater, over double the trailer's regulated pressure.

To operate your generator, you'll need to either have an "independent propane tank" or a "Y" fitting to connect to your existing trailer tank. That fitting will connect to the "unregulated propane tank fitting (at the shut-off valve) and then go to the generator regulator and on to the generator...

Your trailer "regulated propane supply" is not the correct pressure to operate your generator.

Humm that's odd. My Onan 4KW is just Tee'ed off my supply line and runs great. Second trailer with the same setup actually.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
Humm that's odd. My Onan 4KW is just Tee'ed off my supply line and runs great. Second trailer with the same setup actually.
Before or after the regulator ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:01 PM   #26
SoonerLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
I am looking to get a small outdoor portable stove that will hook up to the quick connect, anyone have any suggestions? Also do they make a T or Y for the Quick connect so I can run the grill and stove?
This is what I used to convert my Weber for quick connect and to run my blackstone (which now sits where my suburban was insatlled). Very easy and works great. Delivered fast too.

Conversion kit for Weber q1200:
https://propanegear.com/weber-q-comp...2-m-f-qc-hose/

Conversion kit for blackstone:
https://propanegear.com/blackstone-1...ect-8-ft-hose/

Y-adapter quick connect:
https://propanegear.com/propane-quic...er-rv-fitting/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7B28E4DB-23BF-4E87-A0EC-C2F1727CC61C.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	32737   Click image for larger version

Name:	246DB6AC-5F4C-4F4C-8ECA-8F8D5430E73E.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	32738  
SoonerLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:08 AM   #27
notanlines

Very odd, because our 6.5KW Onan is also running just Tee'd from the line after the regulator. I'd like to know a little more about this. Ours has worked flawlessly going into the fourth season and I have only had a problem with the tank freezing up in very cold weather.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:37 AM   #28
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Before or after the regulator ???

After the regulator.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:48 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Very odd, because our 6.5KW Onan is also running just Tee'd from the line after the regulator. I'd like to know a little more about this. Ours has worked flawlessly going into the fourth season and I have only had a problem with the tank freezing up in very cold weather.
Jim,

Your generator "installation manual" states that it is designed to connect to a "LP vaporization (low pressure) LPG source regulated at 9-13" WC (about 0.3-0.4 PSI). One warning in the installation manual states to use caution with connecting the generator to any LPG appliance system because the generator, if it draws too much LPG, can cause the appliance to "starve and flame out". If that happens and there's no "flame detector system on the appliance" it could cause an active LPG leak in the RV.

The question that caused this "debate" was whether a Firman portable generator with a 1PSI (28" WC) regulator can be connected to/operate on a 0.4PSI (11"WC) source.... My response was no, that's a source less than half the requirement for LPG delivery.

Your system is designed to operate on the "RV regulator LPG delivery" the Firman is not.

Additionally, the Firman has a solenoid electrically operated regulator that uses the generator battery to open the LPG regulator. Connecting that generator to an "unprotected LPG source" could cause an LPG leak within the generator and create an explosive hazard.

We're talking about two entirely different LPG systems to operate two entirely different LPG generators.... Sort of like comparing ST polyester tires to ST steel tires... Two different animals...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-31-2021, 07:53 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
After the regulator.
HMMM ??? Is your generator an ONAN 4KW LPG RV generator (in the green shell) or a "portable Cummins 4500 watt gas/LPG generator" ??

ADDED: I'm not sure what you currently have: In Feb this year you posted, "After spending a week in the trailer with no power this was my solution. 16KW whole house on 500 lbs of propane."

Did you also install a 4KW Onan RV generator in your travel trailer?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-31-2021, 11:00 AM   #31
Khorsam

Firman Response

Just to add to the can of worms I opened...

I pointed asked Firman about this issue and provided the information posted in some of the posts about pressure.

Here is what they said when I asked about the 1 PSI needed: "That’s the maximum working pressure, running idle is around 11-14in WC / 0.5psi. so yea I think it could work, might have a running problem when the RPMs pick up to compensate for power demand."

So, while it might work... there's enough of a variant that makes me say... nope. Not gonna try it.

I really appreciate all the information everyone has posted here. Learning lots!!
Old 03-31-2021, 11:55 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorsam View Post
Just to add to the can of worms I opened...

I pointed asked Firman about this issue and provided the information posted in some of the posts about pressure.

Here is what they said when I asked about the 1 PSI needed: "That’s the maximum working pressure, running idle is around 11-14in WC / 0.5psi. so yea I think it could work, might have a running problem when the RPMs pick up to compensate for power demand."

So, while it might work... there's enough of a variant that makes me say... nope. Not gonna try it.

I really appreciate all the information everyone has posted here. Learning lots!!
I "think" what Firman told you (in a round about way) is that, "Yes, the RV QD will support the generator's LPG demand at idle, but when the generator "ramps up with inverter demand" the LPG system will "starve out the generator from inadequate LPG delivery"... What that tells me is that if you have your refrigerator on gas, or have a burner on the stove working or have the water heater working, they also will "starve out from inadequate gas pressure".... That shouldn't be a problem with the refrigerator or the water heater, IF (a big IF IMHO) as long as the flame detectors in those appliances are working correctly, but it could easily cause a "unlit stove burner" that you don't detect until the LPG detector starts chirping... Not really a scenario you want to "set up intentionally" while in a dry camping situation, far from the closest fire department..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-31-2021, 01:15 PM   #33
notanlines

"We're talking about two entirely different LPG systems to operate two entirely different LPG generators.... Sort of like comparing ST polyester tires to ST steel tires... Two different animals..."
Thanks, John. I searched my feeble mind and all I remembered is that it works a little more reliably with both tanks open.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:15 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

If your device requires full LP tank connection the easiest thing to do is purchase a propane tank "Y" connection. https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Propa...7282628&sr=8-9

You would have to change the fitting over to the tank in use but it will work for a minimal cost and time.

Edit: Forgot to add. Khorsam you tagged onto a 5 year old post. While you did get a lot of replies it's typically better to start a new post unless the the post is related and fairly recent.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas