Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
jlonginav

Securing Ceiling panels to aluminum rafters

My 2013 Passport has a aluminum frame (its a ultra light). The brads holding the ceiling panels to the roof rafters has mostly come loose. The ceiling now has lowered to the point it is rubbing on the wood trim of the slideout rooms. Any recommendations on what to use to re-attach the panels and get that height back. I don't want to pull off the trim and lower it
Old 06-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Each of the ceiling panels should butt against the next one in line. Those "butt joints" are covered with a trim strip that's about 1" wide and 1/8" thick. These strips are stapled in place and very easy to remove. You could pull the trim strip, then pull each side of the ceiling down a bit, apply some "liquid nails" type adhesive, use self tapping screws and reattach the ceiling panels to the rafters and after it's dry, reinstall the trim strip over the butt joint to hide the screw heads.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
jlonginav

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that approach as my first step.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
Black Bark

I think I have a similar issue which is affecting the light fixture over the island in my 2017 Alpine. It hangs crooked and found that the screws on one side aren't catching anything. I can't see what structure there is through the 3/4 inch hole the wires come through. Any ideas? I'm concerned about just using a longer screw in the hopes of hitting something. Ceiling panel isn't hanging too low but definitely sags.
Black Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
skids

Barkusd, Cut a piece of panel, fish it into the hole, and glue it in place. You will then have something to screw into.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
Black Bark

Hmm. That could work. Thanks. I would need to make the hole bigger but as long as fixture covers it should not be an issue. What are the components of the ceiling? Aluminum 'rafters', insulation, and then the ceiling panel or is there another layer of something substantial above the visible panel?
Black Bark is offline   Reply With Quote