Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 AM   #1
Banjopicks

AC vents

Now that we're getting some real hot days and have to run our AC, we found the one unit isn't enough to do the entire camper. I figured I could just close off a few vents in the bedroom during the day and that might help get the air up to the living room. The cheap vents don't close So now I have to get some replacements that will close. I'm hoping that will solve the problem, otherwise, SWMBO has already told me we'll be looking for another camper or adding another AC unit.
Banjopicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
WaltBennett

First off, there's only so much drop in temperature an RV AC can give you. Usually it's around 20 degrees or thereabouts. To get the inside cool, it can take time. There are multiple reasons your single AC won't cool your unit enough though:

1. Do you have the newer dark color paint scheme?
2. There really isn't much insulation in the walls or ceiling to begin with.
3. Those cheap vents also protrude some into the air duct, causing flow restrictions. The easy fix for this is to remove them and cut the tube part back so it just goes into the duct.
4. You may also have a partially collapsed or not connected right duct. Only way to check this is to remove the AC grill and look up inside.
5. Insulate ALL your windows - this is inexpensive and guaranteed to help your AC. Get a roll or two of the mylar faced bubble type insulation from Amazon, Home Depot or Lowes. Cut pieces to fit the inside of your windows and slip them in between the blind and the glass. Pull the blind down to hold it in place.
6. Keep your awning out as much as possible - it shades a good part of your 5er.

I'm certain others can come up with more, but with our single AC unit we were able to last a week in 114 degree outside weather with the awning out, all the windows insulated and I'd already done all the other things listed. It did climb up to 82 inside during the day, but with the ceiling and two table top fans going, it was bearable. Our 2010 is mostly white though.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Steve S

I'm not too sure about your problem but wtf does this mean "SWMBO" ?
Old 05-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
MattHelm21

I had to google this myself ."She Who Must be Obeyed"?
Old 05-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
Frank G

In addition to the above, plug and insulate any roof vents and sky lights. I know Camping World has products for this.

Start the AC early in the morning set at 70 so it is not trying to play catch-up later in the day. Make sure the filter is clean and clean often. Keep cooking and baking to a minimum during the heat of the day. Keep those heat producing appliances off. (except the coffee pot)
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
Don N.

I decided to add a 2nd AC unit in the bedroom. I also open the living area ceiling vent and run the fan on low to draw out the near-ceiling heat. I also have a few fans blowing in the living area to keep the air circulating.
2013 GMC 2500HD w/ B&W turnover gooseneck hitch and Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel gooseneck mount
Airlift airbags

Don N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
fredetteb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
First off, there's only so much drop in temperature an RV AC can give you. Usually it's around 20 degrees or thereabouts. To get the inside cool, it can take time. There are multiple reasons your single AC won't cool your unit enough though:

1. Do you have the newer dark color paint scheme?
2. There really isn't much insulation in the walls or ceiling to begin with.
3. Those cheap vents also protrude some into the air duct, causing flow restrictions. The easy fix for this is to remove them and cut the tube part back so it just goes into the duct.
4. You may also have a partially collapsed or not connected right duct. Only way to check this is to remove the AC grill and look up inside.
5. Insulate ALL your windows - this is inexpensive and guaranteed to help your AC. Get a roll or two of the mylar faced bubble type insulation from Amazon, Home Depot or Lowes. Cut pieces to fit the inside of your windows and slip them in between the blind and the glass. Pull the blind down to hold it in place.
6. Keep your awning out as much as possible - it shades a good part of your 5er.

I'm certain others can come up with more, but with our single AC unit we were able to last a week in 114 degree outside weather with the awning out, all the windows insulated and I'd already done all the other things listed. It did climb up to 82 inside during the day, but with the ceiling and two table top fans going, it was bearable. Our 2010 is mostly white though.
..X2 on #4 Check that the ducting is property taped around the ceiling also. On my 2009 Raptor the tape at the junction between the duct outlet and the ceiling had peeled and torn. All my cold air was going up into the ceiling space. Use the good aluminum tape not "duck" tape it won't hold up to the temperature differences.

As mentioned RV AC's are only good for about 20* of cooling. When we were in Arizona we had both the bedroom and living AC's going and still went to Lowe's and bought a portable AC for the "garage". With all 3 the unit stayed very comfortable even in 110* heat. Glad the electricity was included in the rent.
Tonneau cover. BullyDog GT. High Idle Mod.
B&W Turnoverball™ with a Companion 5th Wheel Hitch.
2018 Keystone Montana High Country 381TH.
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent