Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
Wayne883

2010 361LEV Black Tank

Hello,
I am currently experiencing an odd situation. Was camping this past weekend with water and electricity hook up, and no sewer. After a few hours in, the black tank was showing full as the water level rose into the toilet and seemed as such. The level indication on the control panel corresponded. This puzzled me because I was certain the tank was empty as it had been emptied after the last trip. There were portolets available so we were able to enjoy the remainder of the weekend. This morning I pulled into a rest stop, emptied all of my tanks, then proceeded to fill the black tank via the toilet in an attempt to figure out what's going on. About 12 minutes in, this thing is topped off with a water level all the way into the toilet and drain pipe. The controller agrees again as it is showing full.
Has anyone experienced this? There's no way the toilet filled this tank in 12 minutes unless it's holding water, and the level indication doesn't support that when I started filling. When I emptied earlier I got a lot of water out. Thanks in advance.
Wayne883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
Javi

If I was a guessing man... I'd lay money on a poo pyramid.

When was the last time you flushed that tank... ???
Old 02-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
notanlines

Let me double up on Javi's advice. Flush this mamajama with your lack tank flush to no end and then fill the black water tank five gallons at a time. That way you will know for certain how much it is holding. Any chance of a flush valve sticking a little? Eight years is a long time for a commode.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Wayne883

My first thought was probably not a pyramid but y'all may be right on. I've owned this trailer for two years and have flushed the black tank many times but I can't speak for the previous years/owner(s). I did flush it again today and noticed water leaking from the starboard side in the vicinity of the toilet. I exposed the connections and piping from the pass thru storage, and found the leaking water coming from the flush connection on the port side. The trailer is a tad out of level. I pulled the connection, tightened the hose connections, and continued flushing with the leak repaired. I do not believe I'm getting the volume out that I'm putting in though, which is leading me to believe the pyramid theory and/or partial blockage. I had to stop for the day but will post what I find when I pick back up on it. Thank you both.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Not sure if you are using the black tank flush with the valve open or closed , When I think tank is draining slowly I will use the flush system with valve closed and fill or almost fill the tank and then open the valve to get some force behind it. When doing that I have someone inside watch the toilet I also would suggest throwing some chemicals in to try and dissolve some of it. Here is a recent post of a member with a possible clog, May want to read members posts

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ght=black+tank

ADDED: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ght=black+tank

May try more searches on say black tank. do remember there was a post think they suggested ridx or something like that, guess any septic chemical would work not sure how long it would take
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
Wayne883

Okay. Here's the update. Problem solved. However, it wasn't what we originally thought. It wasn't that I had a pyramid from not using enough water. It's that I was using too much water and filling my tank. Yesterday I purchased a flexible tank cleaner from a local RV supply house and cleaned the tank with it numerous times, dump valve closed and open, and never got anything but clear water. Did the fill test again and 14 minutes in from filling with the toilet, the black tank is full. I then added an all in one tank cleaner, lubricator, deodorizer called nuGen and left it overnight. Dumped it this morning and got nothing but clean water with suds from the additive. I then began the 5 gallon bucket fill, and at about 43 gallons I'm seeing water in the drain pipe. Dumped that, filled via the toilet for 14 minutes, then measured that fill by dumping into the 5 gallon bucket. Amount measured? 40 gallons. I never would have believed that standing on the toilet water valve for 14 minutes would fill a 40 gallon tank but after using the 5 gallon bucket on both ends that is exactly what's happening. I did go ahead and replace the seal on the toilet as it wasn't functioning properly, filled the tank, and added 2 ounces of the nuGen. I'll leave it like that until the next trip in a couple of weeks at which point I'll dump at the campground, then start using the tank with 5-10 gallons. I always believed and practiced water, water, and more water in the black tank, and have read many comments that say you can't have too much water but in my case, I did. LOL. Thanks all for the advice and help.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
Javi

2.86 gallons a minute is a solid amount of flow. What pressure are you running at the faucet?

Javi
Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Wayne, thanks for letting us know what was going on. I too use a lot of water to avoid clogs.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:22 AM   #9
Wayne883

I checked the pressure at the campground this weekend, 40 pounds. I then checked it back at the house and it's right at 40 pounds. I wonder if there is a flow control on the toilet itself. I don't see one but haven't spent much time looking.

Tags
tank