Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2016, 05:39 AM   #1
ErraticAKn

2014 Keystone Hideout 30RKDS

Hello All,

I'm away from the Hideout another three weeks and wondered if anyone knew if the super slideout for the living / dining room was Lippert and if so was it the through frame type.

This last trip out wasn't the greatest with one thing after another either getting damaged or starting to fail.

I broke the ladder backing too close to a fence post. The slideout is binding and straining / blowing fuses on retraction. Wind gusts through the Columbia River Gorge blew out a a section of panel from the nose cap to the bedroom escape window. The manual tongue jack is starting get hard to crank.

Most of the dealers are months out on making appointments so I'd like to see about doing some of the repairs myself. Starting with the slideout.

To me it seems the slideout is sagging and the motor while retracting it is under stress because it also has to "lift" / "tilt" it up in order to get it all the way in.

If anyone is able to verify the slideout mechanism type, I can at least take a look at the operation and service manual from their site.

If anyone knows where I can get THE replacement ladder - that would be great. The Keystone factory where it was assembled is just a few hundred miles down the road from where I setup in Pendleton, I will be calling them Monday as well.

The pictures show the ladder (lower left tubing to trailer is broken off). The other two show the initial damage and short term gorilla tape patch.

As always - THANKS

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160207_122809.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	10196   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160322_133747.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	10197   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160322_154629.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	10198  

__________ ______ ____ __ _
2014 Hideout 30RKDSWE
2015 F250 XLT Crew Cab 6.2L EFI
2016 KLR650E
Just me and roads less traveled...
www.erraticway.com
ErraticAKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
ErraticAKn

I'm left to smile telling myself everyone is out enjoying the world around them and that is why no one replied!

I ended up having the dealer I bought the trailer from order the ladder which costs $95.00 - the shipping was $150.00. They also tracked down the siding which cost $25.00 - the shipping was also $150.00

Had I been thinking I'd of asked if they could just do will call at the Keystone Factory in Oregon where it was built but - well hind sight right?

Instead of trying to squeeze in an appointment, I'm going to try and use a Mobile RV Technician.

Any way all ! Happy Summer to you.

Dan

2014 Hideout 30RKDSWE
2016 KLR650E
www.erraticway.com
Old 04-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

I know those winds can be bad any time of year after working in it and traveling thru it for about 40 years. Nothing like parking a patrol vehicle on flat ground during a ice storm and watch the wind move it. Just me but, I would have contacted the factory first being that where the trailer and factory are located. Just maybe there is another reason the sliding pulled off. Having repair guy do the work is also good. I drove my Artic Fox to the factory to have work done. Phoned them, talked about the problem, made a appointment that fit my schedule. I felt that a 225 mile drive was was OK if the job was to be done right. In that case they found other problems and only charged me for the reason I went to them.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
ErraticAKn

That is good info! Thanks!

I'm going to use that in the future for sure. Ironically, the wind is why I'm there so much. In the future; if I can - I will transport the unit on non-windy days or before / after wind events happens.

Everyday is full of lessons.

Thanks!

2014 Hideout 30RKDSWE
2016 KLR650E
www.erraticway.com
Old 04-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErraticAKn View Post
I'm left to smile telling myself everyone is out enjoying the world around them and that is why no one replied!
Same feeling. But when you become a "5er" you will become way more popular around here as those folks have tons of issues. .

On a serious note, sorry to hear your misfortunes. I bought a TT in Houston and a trucker flagged me down that I had a blowout, 50 miles outside of town . TPMS...ordered.
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote