Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
shmthaus

Raptor 412TS Crack Near Bedroom Slide

While packing up from a weekend of camping, I noticed a crack (about 4" long) near the bottom part of the bedroom slide toward the cap. It was about 1/8th wide and I could see inside the wall. The trailer was hitched to the truck and under weight.

When we got to the storage facility, I dropped the front landing gear and the gap diminished. I raised the landing gear again to put weight on the pin box and the gap opened again.

I took pictures and went to the dealer today to discuss. When I told the service manager what I discovered, she said this is the second 412TS with the same issue. She had already called Keystone regarding the other Raptor and she is going to tell them there are now two at the same dealership. She is also wondering if there is a structural issue.

So any Raptor 412TS owners out there, keep an eye on the lower front corner of the outer wall next to the bedroom slide. I will try to get the pics off my phone and post them here.

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
shmthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
PerryB

Yes, there is a structural issue. It's spelled LIPPERT. My 15 yr. old son is a far better welder/ fabricator/structural engineer than anybody thats ever worked for Lippert. Quick and dirty is their method of construction. Best of luck to you.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
Yes, there is a structural issue. It's spelled LIPPERT. My 15 yr. old son is a far better welder/ fabricator/structural engineer than anybody thats ever worked for Lippert. Quick and dirty is their method of construction. Best of luck to you.
How true about Lippert, we had frame flex x2, Keystones fix was a patch job, still flexes a little, every time I tow down the road I wonder if it will buckle in half some day......major safety issue with me...sorry for your issues...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
dcg9381

shmthaus,
Let us know what they do to fix it..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Face Down

I have read about this problem before on many different 5er's. Does your model year have an expansion or flex gap by the slide? My new Carbon has one and from what I have read it is something that manufactures have recently started to incorporate.

See picture...it is the black vertical trim in the lower front section of the slide.

Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
shmthaus

Face Down, it does have that, but the crack runs from the corner point of the opening. In the bottom right side of the pic, you can barely see the "flex gap" as you call it.

The service manager called today and said Keystone was going to repair the other trailer, but they said mine was out of warranty. Fortunately, the service manager is fighting for me since we are only about 5 weeks out of warranty and it is the same problem as the other trailer.

Name:   Raptor Crack.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  2.9 KB

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
Old 07-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #7
shmthaus

Received another call from service manager and Keystone wanted pics from all sides of the Raptor. Front cap, rear, both sides... so I sent quite a few pics.. including that it is stored under a large storage shed.

I guess now I wait...

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #8
911GPS

We have a 2015 - 412TS also... please keep all of us posted on your outcome...
911GPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:50 AM   #9
C130

It's amazing how crappy companies treat customers these days and won't do the right thing. I guarantee you that it'll cost Keystone way more if they don't fix it than if they do. If it's an obvious defect companies should fix it, period. I'm very interested in how this turns out since I'm looking at buying another toy hauler. I have a co worker that's currently looking at this exact model Raptor. I'll inform him of this issue also and the outcome.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
shmthaus

Sorry I haven't reported back lately. I haven't received a call from the dealer and I haven't had a chance to call during the day. I will try to remember tomorrow.

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
Old 08-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
cwill925

My 412TS has the same crack. It's been at Camping World for two weeks for a list of problems. Not at all happy with the quality of this trailer. My previous 2008 Fuzion was a lot better quality. I thought the Raptor would as good, man was I wrong. Not a happy camper right now.

2015 Raptor 412TS
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
cwill925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #12
dcg9381

Our carbon has that gap seal also. Let us know how they fix it...
Old 10-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
shmthaus

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Even though my rig is out of warranty, apparently Keystone is going to repair it. My dealer said that I need to take it to a collision repair facility that works on RV's in the Dallas suburb area. They are going to take the nose cap off and enforce the pin box area by welding the frame.

There was another Raptor that had the same thing and it was repaired.

Be sure to press the issue with your dealerships. If more Raptors are showing up with the cracks, then Keystone may realize the issue.

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
Old 10-05-2015, 06:51 AM   #14
dcg9381

Wow that's great... Thanks for the follow up and it's great that Keystone is taking on a major repair outside of warranty.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #15
cwill925

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmthaus View Post
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Even though my rig is out of warranty, apparently Keystone is going to repair it. My dealer said that I need to take it to a collision repair facility that works on RV's in the Dallas suburb area. They are going to take the nose cap off and enforce the pin box area by welding the frame.

Be sure to press the issue with your dealerships. If more Raptors are showing up with the cracks, then Keystone may realize the issue.
Thanks for the update. I had mine at the dealer for investigation and work order approval. Keystone accepted the repair orders on my crack (uh, that didn't sound right), anyway, I take mine back for repairs at the end of October.

2015 Raptor 412TS
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
cwill925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #16
Dooley

Alpine 3510 re 2015

We discovered a crack after going back home to Ak.Brought the unit back down to Wa . and it is currently at CW in Burlington being inspected. The crack started at the bottom corner of the bedroom slide and went foward about 8" to begin with , and now is about 12-14" long .
Keystone was notified of the problem in Ak, and we asked if it was alright to tow back down , they even gave us a letter stating it was alright to drive it back down .

The unit was inspected today ( haven't seen the pictures or the report as of yet ) and further damage was discovered after unloading the unit to take in for this work in the foward closet, behind front cap area. Seems as it is getting worse .
Waiting to hear from CW and Keystone really at this point to see what they are going to do ...
Any advice ?
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #17
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmthaus View Post
They are going to take the nose cap off and enforce the pin box area by welding the frame.

Keystone is aware of the issue and its been going on for many years. Its called using a Lippert frame. Its not just Keystone, but any manufacturer that uses the Lippert frame with bird crap welds that will eventually break.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #18
shmthaus

So, I was finally able to take my rig in to the dealer this morning. They are going to deliver it to the collision center for repair. The service manager showed me the plans for repair that Keystone sent her. It showed where the bracing was supposed to go, but they showed using wood. She said that the repair center will bring in a welder to weld metal bracing instead of wood. Supposed to take two weeks. I will report back with more pics when I get it back.

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
Old 10-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #19
Duane

Crack

We have a Raptor332 that has a crack in the same place. Under the front coner of the bedroom slide. We ar currently at a repair center waiting on Keystone for an answer as to what they are going to do about it.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #20
kilolima

425TS slam door sag

I noticed my basement slam door was not closed but was still locked. After closer inspection the door frame is sagging allowing the door to pop open as I drive. I haven't notified the dealer yet but they have been very good so far with warranty work. I hope it continues to be a good experience.