Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
buzzcop63

Black Mold under Awning

Spring is just around the corner and many of us who have had to store our trailers are getting them ready for the new season. When we first drop down our Awning and the underneath has Black Mold all over it we are faced with a dirty job that can be a bit taxing on the back. In the past I have climbed in the bed of my truck so that I can spray 409 on the black gunk and clean it off or used a ladder. Now I just pull out my wife's Swiffer Sweeper, slap on a fresh cleaning pad and without ladder or other aid clean the underside of the Awning. Also while we are out camping and the wife is done using the Swiffer on the trailer floors I give the underside of the Awning another quick wipe down. The Black Mold has since not come back, just good old-fashioned dirt. Just wanted to share a quick and easy way to clean both the top and bottom of the Awning when you do not have a hose and long handled brush.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
GaryWT

Good idea. I generally spray it with Tilex and spray with the hose and that does fine as well. Wish I could get mine out to start but it is under snow still.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
therink

Through my research on these forums over the years, I foundd an easy way that works really well. Put a 10 percent solution of household each with water and a good squirt of your favorite dish soap into a garden pump sprayer, coat both sides of awning, roll up awning, wait 20 minutes, unroll awning, spray off with water really well both sides.
Comes out looking like new. Make sure you rinse really well to remove all solution. If awning has some stubborn stains, you may need to brush those areas and re rinse.
I have used this method for years and my awning always looks new with little effort and don't have to be covered in soap/bleach to do it.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
buzzcop63

The main advantage of the cleaning method I posted was when you do not have access to a hose to do the rinse and wash. HOA where I live does not allow me to park my RV at my home for more then a couple days and with many neighbors parking their cars on the street it becomes very hard to bring the trailer home and get it in my drive way. The consequence has been to clean by hand using a ladder or back of my truck to reach the underside of the Awning. Using my wife's cleaning method for home floors and trailer floor has made keeping the Awning clean when out camping and when the unit is in storage much easier and has really stopped the Black Mold. If I can ever get my trailer back in my driveway I intend to try your method, sounds good!