Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
scott24

WDH with sway

I went to a mom and pop RV store and asked about WDH with built in sway. He showed me a eaz lift WDH that had a sway control bracket. Was told I could get it for 350 plus 50 to install. He said this is what I should get. The more expensive ones like the equalizer is double the price and function the same as the cheaper one. Am I getting a con job? From what I've read, the chains can be noisy? Any opinions?
Old 03-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
BirchyBoy

I can't speak to the WDH's with chains, but I love my Equalizer. Granted, it's the only hitch I've hauled with, but I haven't had any issues and trust it.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

He's not selling you the same thing. Having used both I can assure you the equalizer is 1)much more effective on sway, 2)easier to use and 3)much less likely to have issues. IMO. Remember, usually, you get what you pay for; and in this instance that is the case.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
buzzcop63

WDH received new with my 2012 Cougar is a chain type, Pro Series V-5 and also included Pro Series Friction Sway Control, all parts made in China. Fourth season and have not had any problems with WDH, trailer tows with no sway or chain noise. Have looked at the more advanced designs and watched on Youtube showing trailers being hitched up and they seem to require more small parts and work to set up. Trailers that are heavier and or longer may require the more expensive type of hitches? Have to see what others have said that have used both types on same trailer to compare as well as keeping in mind the cost.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
scott24

Kind of my thought. We decided to get the Equalizer. Seems like there are quite a few on here with the Equalizer. Our Passport is only 22 feet, 26 from back bumper to hitch. Thanks for the feedback Buzzcop.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
dylana40

I had both the chain type and the equalizer there is no compression. The equalizer is far better in all areas
dylana40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
scott24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylana40 View Post
I had both the chain type and the equalizer there is no compression. The equalizer is far better in all areas
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
scott24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
He's not selling you the same thing. Having used both I can assure you the equalizer is 1)much more effective on sway, 2)easier to use and 3)much less likely to have issues. IMO. Remember, usually, you get what you pay for; and in this instance that is the case.
Thanks for the info
Old 03-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
scott24

)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
WDH received new with my 2012 Cougar is a chain type, Pro Series V-5 and also included Pro Series Friction Sway Control, all parts made in China. Fourth season and have not had any problems with WDH, trailer tows with no sway or chain noise. Have looked at the more advanced designs and watched on Youtube showing trailers being hitched up and they seem to require more small parts and work to set up. Trailers that are heavier and or longer may require the more expensive type of hitches? Have to see what others have said that have used both types on same trailer to compare as well as keeping in mind the cost.
Thanks for your info
Old 03-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
GaryWT

I think you will be happy with you choice. Easy to hook up the equil I zer. Lift the trailer, place the bars, put bracket in place and lower, you are ready to go. No dealing with chains or flipping up the holder or connecting the sway blade. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
theeyres

If you want to look at alternatives, don't forget the Andersen. I had an Equal-i-zer on a previous trailer and it was great. No problems at all. But I did get tired of dealing with the bars (I'm not a young chicken!). On this trailer I bought the Andersen and it is "almost" as good as the Equal-i-zer and much easier to hook and unhook. I like it and would recommend you checking it out. No more expensive then the one the dealer is trying to sell you and very easy to install yourself.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
tirnanah

2nd Vote for the andersen... I can't compare as I haven't had any others, but I love it on my truck/trailer... Trailer stays straight as an arrow behind the truck passing semi's and in 50 to 60 mile an hour crosswinds...

Also has anti-bounce bushings that seem to make a difference. We moved the trailer last time with my dad's F-350 instead of my 1500 and I noticed a lot more trailer bounce then with my 1500 (we didn't use the weight distribution on it, no reason to with way too much truck ).

Thanks,
Doug
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
frankenstang

How well does that Andersen hitch handle the length and weight of that 323bh? I chose to get the equalizer 4 point for my 312bh that we're picking up Monday. Will be towing it with a 2009 Sierra 1500 quad cab. I am installing a TVS1900 supercharger this month to help with torque. Really was on the fence between the Andersen and the EQ 4pt. I'll tell you one thing, that EQ is a HUNDRED pounds hanging off the hitch of the truck. The Andersen setup looks like half the weight.
frankenstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #14
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstang View Post
How well does that Andersen hitch handle the length and weight of that 323bh? I chose to get the equalizer 4 point for my 312bh that we're picking up Monday. Will be towing it with a 2009 Sierra 1500 quad cab. I am installing a TVS1900 supercharger this month to help with torque. Really was on the fence between the Andersen and the EQ 4pt. I'll tell you one thing, that EQ is a HUNDRED pounds hanging off the hitch of the truck. The Andersen setup looks like half the weight.
Good question. Wish there were some people on the forum that have longer trailers with the Andersen. I've read comments from people that don't seem to think it will work well but I have read no comments from people who have actually used it with longer trailers.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I don't have any experience with the Andersen and I don't know that it's been out long enough for there to be any stats on its long term durability.

I own the equalizer and yes, it's pretty heavy, but, I'm not concerned about it breaking 6mos from now.

I've looked at all the info and online videos about the Andersen and I have concerns about it's durability and how it would handle long, heavy trailers. The friction material under the ball that they say "adjusts" for the trailers will wear out; rather quickly I would imagine with a 1200lb hitch sitting on it and constantly "adjusting". The polyurethane cushions will deteriorate over time as well. I've had body spacers on my 4x4 truck split. The chains and d links worry me to. With the equalizer it's just steel and more steel.

I hope the Andersen turns out to work great for those that have it but for the time being I'm going to sick with my equalizer
Old 03-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #16
michael_h

If your passport has the spread axels I think you'll be fine with the eaz lift WDH, the wider stance does not sway like other trailers. I have the 19 Premier which has the spread axels and is 23' tongue to bumper and I use the chain WDH by husky with no friction bar and it does great with my trailer. An equalizer IMO is over kill for your trailer
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:28 AM   #17
scott24

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
If your passport has the spread axels I think you'll be fine with the eaz lift WDH, the wider stance does not sway like other trailers. I have the 19 Premier which has the spread axels and is 23' tongue to bumper and I use the chain WDH by husky with no friction bar and it does great with my trailer. An equalizer IMO is over kill for your trailer
It does have the spread axles. I've never had a problem with sway. I've been told once you pull with a WDH you'll never pull without one again. We did encounter sway troubles once. We were coming back from camping and the winds were 30-40 MPH. I was told by a friend that has camped for years that no matter what WDH setup you have it wont matter too much with those winds.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

The towing experience, especially sway, is greatly impacted by the TV. In this case the OP is pulling with a Durango; a relatively short SUV. A slab sided travel trailer is going to have a major impact on the vehicle when it comes to sway. I wouldn't think about towing a TT with that vehicle without a WDH and sway control - you're just asking for trouble IMO.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #19
koko

I second that about the Durango.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #20
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The towing experience, especially sway, is greatly impacted by the TV. In this case the OP is pulling with a Durango; a relatively short SUV. A slab sided travel trailer is going to have a major impact on the vehicle when it comes to sway. I wouldn't think about towing a TT with that vehicle without a WDH and sway control - you're just asking for trouble IMO.
I tow with a Durango and agree with this. Short wheel base and uni-body means you will want a good WDH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote