Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Faded Cap Update

Well, I know this topic gets beat to death but I wanted to post a report on a new product I tried.

First, the front cap started to fade immediately after we brought it home brand new in March 2011. It was returned to the dealer who didn't "go to bat" for me with Keystone at the time. They merely had it detailed and gave it back. I have spent countless hours detailing the cap with multiple products and then read somewhere about Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy Cut Cleaner Wax.

I already had a Porter-Cable Dual Action buffer so I also ordered a couple of wool pads and after we returned from a week trip I decided to give it a try.

First, it was the easiest product I have tried so far. It is one step, clean and wax. I think it could come out even better if I was better skilled with my buffer. It worked exactly as promised. It cut the oxidation and returned a gloss and shine to almost new condition. I realize I will eventually lose my decals doing this but I did the entire cap, decals and all, and it actually brought back the color in the decals too! If you look closely at the mountain graphics you will see that.

I have no delusions as to how long this shine will last before the oxidation returns but at least now I know that this product will restore the finish and it only takes me about an hour to do the whole cap.

As a side note, in order to get good reach to the entire cap and remain relatively safe, I extend my front legs all the way without dropping the inner legs, to unhitch from the truck. Then I lower the front of the trailer all the way down. It looks like the trailer is kneeling. It is extremely low in the front and I can easily get all the way to the top on a 5 foot ladder and remain very stable while working.

Hopefully these pictures will give a sense of how well it came out.

In the first picture I have done a test section of maybe 3x3 on the left below the Cougar name and above the mountain graphics.

This picture shows the same section done but from another angle.

In this picture the entire top is done including the Cougar name and HIGH COUNTRY lettering.
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
byrdr1

great report. Where did you buy the product?
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Yosemitebob

That looks out.......standing! I have an excellent auto paint covered with a clear gloss, (I had mine re-painted) so I don't think I'll try that on mine, however, I have a boat that I have always used Gelgloss on and I am going to give this a try on that.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
great report. Where did you buy the product?
randy
I order my stuff from Autogeek.net.

Here's a couple of final shots of the entire cap done. Today I will do the rear which is also very bad.

2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 10-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
That looks out.......standing! I have an excellent auto paint covered with a clear gloss, (I had mine re-painted) so I don't think I'll try that on mine, however, I have a boat that I have always used Gelgloss on and I am going to give this a try on that.
Believe me, that was my next step but no way Keystone would do that at this point and I really can't afford that plus my rear is fading even worse and it's starting to show up on the sides now too! It is really the only major complaint I have about this trailer. I would need to paint the entire trailer. My wife tells me not to worry about it but I am so anal about how my "stuff" looks.
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 10-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Okay, so today I did the rear. I honestly wasn't as happy with the overall results. Pictures don't do the before or the after true justice. The gelcoat definitely appears better from a distance, darker and shinier, but up close you can still see a lot of defect in the gelcoat. I think I will try a heavier cutting pad next time but my shoulders are just too tired for now

2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 10-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Poppy's 5th Wheel

2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS