Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Nangeo

Cougar high country fiver

Just purchased used 2012 Cougar high country 299rks . Love layout and the rear kitchen. Anyone else have one? Would you tell me about it. Thank you.
Nangeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
antiqfreq

Welcome to the forum
&
Congrats to you on your new camper.

I do not have that particular model but perhaps another member will chime in if they do!

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Nangeo

Thank you , Jo not new to camping, but new to forum. I hope people are patient till I get the hang of it.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

While we don't have that particular model, we have a rear kitchen in our '08 Cougar 5th.
We have taken some extra precautions to protect dishware from breakage since an outing resulted in a number of broken Corelle dishes.
We put extra catches on the cupboards, stuff a pillow into the one that has all of the breakable dishware and into the microwave. We've also put Scootguard down on all the rear cabinets which helps things from moving around.

Just be aware that the rear of the unit is subject to greater bouncing up and down and a rear kitchen is harder on breakables.

The extra counter space and the placement of the windows all make it a better place to prepare meals.

We've had no problems with the dishes since taking those precautions.

And welcome to the forum!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Michiglenn

Thumbs up We like it a lot...

We bought a 2011 299RKS new and we absolutely love it. To keep the cupboards from opening in transit we zip-tie the ones with handles close to each other. We haven't had anything break, but things shift. The layout is what impressed us about this model. We were looking for rear living models, but fell in love with the space and cupboard capacities. The bathroom being separate from the bedroom and living area was another feature that sold us. There are so many features we liked it is hard to remember what separated it from the dozens of fifth wheels we looked at. Color, queen bed with slide-out, remote control, big fridge, nice decor, wheels, ceiling height in bedroom, light weight, queen sofa sleeper, and much more. Hope you like yours, we have got 3 camping seasons in it and still remark how perfect it is for the two of us.
Michiglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Nangeo

Michiglenn andFestus2

Thanks so much for your feedback, I immediately fell in love with the rear kitchen, and all of the above mentioned. I will certainly take heed to your suggestions. Can hardly wait to pick it up on weekend. Also happy to hear everyone loves the Cougar. Our trade in is a 2007 pilgrim that was our 1st camper 5th and the two of us totally out grew it. The layout of the cougar and size is like a dream come true. Thanks for the welcome too. N
Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
a1albert

We have a 2013 299rks and we like it. We went from a smaller pull trailer to this fifth wheel. The only thing I would do is if I was in real hot area of the country I would consider putting in a second AC.

Albert
Old 08-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
ExTowerClimber

Congrats on your trailer!

We got our 2012 299 RKS as a last years left over in Feb and have enjoyed it immensely so far. We like the separate living room/kitchen area, amount of storage and counter space. We use child proof locks on the cupboards to make sure the doors stay shut.

I did modify the power cord making it removable. Still on the to-do list is making new shelves for the pantry as the ones in there are about 1/4" too narrow for the opening and tend to fall on rough roads, and adding a power vent fan in the vent in the living room.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
Poppy's 5th Wheel

We have a 2011 and love it. We've put a lot of miles on it and taking off in a few weeks to put a couple thousand more. We were in negotiations for another model when we stumbled into this unit tucked away on the lot as it just arrived and told the sales guy he could forget the other, we wanted this one. I started out wanting a 5th wheel no longer than 30ft but hated the floor plans. This unit really works well for us. It's too small to full time but we can live comfortably for a couple months at a time.

Extowerclimber, what is the purpose of making your power cord removable? I've seen someone else do that mod but can't figure out the advantage.

A1albert, we wanted a BR A/C and contacted Keystone proving our VIN and they told us our unit didn't have adequate ceiling support for a unit. I have been thinking abut taking it in to an RV repair facility near our home that has a good reputation and see if they feel the same way. These units don't come with roof vents in the BR so it would definitely require some serious modifications. We traveled last year in some very hot areas for a couple weeks and it made for some discomfort. We now travel with 3 big fans.
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
concours

We previously had a rear living trailer thinking that we would enjoy the views from the large rear window but giving the layout of many campgrounds that was not always the case. We now have a 331MKS with a rear kitchen and love the layout and the extra space
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
a1albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
We have a 2011 and love it. We've put a lot of miles on it and taking off in a few weeks to put a couple thousand more. We were in negotiations for another model when we stumbled into this unit tucked away on the lot as it just arrived and told the sales guy he could forget the other, we wanted this one. I started out wanting a 5th wheel no longer than 30ft but hated the floor plans. This unit really works well for us. It's too small to full time but we can live comfortably for a couple months at a time.

Extowerclimber, what is the purpose of making your power cord removable? I've seen someone else do that mod but can't figure out the advantage.

A1albert, we wanted a BR A/C and contacted Keystone proving our VIN and they told us our unit didn't have adequate ceiling support for a unit. I have been thinking abut taking it in to an RV repair facility near our home that has a good reputation and see if they feel the same way. These units don't come with roof vents in the BR so it would definitely require some serious modifications. We traveled last year in some very hot areas for a couple weeks and it made for some discomfort. We now travel with 3 big fans.
Poppy's
Our 2013 299rks does have a vent in the bedroom and is prewired for a second AC, I guess that is why we have a heavy 50 amp Cord
Albert
Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #12
TandE

Quote:

Extowerclimber, what is the purpose of making your power cord removable?
I did the removable power cord mod because of one time fishing out the cord when it fell in the hole. While it is not hard to get out again at least on mine I didnt want to waste time if it happened again.

Yeah it is one more thing to store but it really doesnt take up much space at all.

Another reason I did it was it was an entry point for little critters to get in. We ran into an ant problem at one of the campgrounds we stayed at and they were coming in through the slides and the power cord and since I cant seal off the slides completely I did the cord so it is one less thing to monitor for critter intrusion.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1albert View Post
Poppy's
Our 2013 299rks does have a vent in the bedroom and is prewired for a second AC, I guess that is why we have a heavy 50 amp Cord
Albert
I'm jealous Albert. I thought I had seen a 299RKS with a second roof air so it must have been a newer model. That makes sense now. According to Keystone they didn't build any 50 amp 299RKS units in 2011. I was going to run a second 20 amp cord to the post if I added the A/C but now I'm not sure my roof will support the weight. Oh well
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
ExTowerClimber

Quote:
On our previous trailer the power cord was removable and when the "scrappers" broke into the storage lot and all the trailers with fixed cables had theirs cut off and stolen.

I figured the cost of the conversion kit was worth the time, effort and cost of a new power cord. Plus the Murphy's Law factor of not finding it gone until the afternoon you want to leave.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #15
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTowerClimber View Post
On our previous trailer the power cord was removable and when the "scrappers" broke into the storage lot and all the trailers with fixed cables had theirs cut off and stolen.

I figured the cost of the conversion kit was worth the time, effort and cost of a new power cord. Plus the Murphy's Law factor of not finding it gone until the afternoon you want to leave.
Yikes! I've never heard or thought about that. Okay, now I see. I guess that can go on my "someday maybe" list.
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
Wayne

We also have a 2012 model 299RKS. We have never had an issue with the cabinets opening. We leave the coffee maker on the rear counter (on a non slip pad) when making most trips. Ours is also 30 amp & does not have a br vent. I would like a 2nd Ac & do not know if the bracing will accommodate the weight. I did do a mod to the interior steps to make them 3 (7 in) steps instead 2 (10 1/2 in) steps. It is much easier on the knees. We also replaced the 2 recliners with theater seating. We have approx 10K miles on ours & no major complaints.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
Husky slide
2012 Cougar HC 299RKS

Remember, "No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Ours is also 30 amp & does not have a br vent. I would like a 2nd Ac & do not know if the bracing will accommodate the weight.
Well, I just today spoke with a local RV Service shop that has a very good reputation. He told me it was still possible and that they do it. He said they would cut the hole and add the appropriate support. The more difficult thing is the wiring. He said they would wire it to the breaker box and install a switch that would eliminate the possibility of running both units at the same time. The problem is that since the unit is not wired for the second A/C nor does it already have a hole, the labor would probably be significantly more. Without a commitment, he thought the cost would run between $1,500 and $2,000 (including the cost of a 13,500 btu unit).

I think we're going to think about it and take our upcoming 4 week trip without and see if we can work with fans and, if it's a really miserable night, maybe just sleep in the main cabin. If we do all these things and we still are not happy, we will get it done before we take our big 3 month trip next year.
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
Tikitim

I ordered my 299RKS with a 15000 BTU ac unit and it has not let us down. Some say it is not worth the extra $200, but I feel it was money well spent. You might just want to upgrade to a 15000 BTU unit and save a bunch of labor cost. Also try selling 13,500 BTU unit online.
Tikitim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #19
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikitim View Post
I ordered my 299RKS with a 15000 BTU ac unit and it has not let us down. Some say it is not worth the extra $200, but I feel it was money well spent. You might just want to upgrade to a 15000 BTU unit and save a bunch of labor cost. Also try selling 13,500 BTU unit online.
Mine came with the 15,000 btu unit as well but last summer we were in Oregon and it was over 105 for a week and it remained quite hot inside. We bought a couple more fans for this coming trip so we'll see how it goes.
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 08-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
suza

Quote:
We had a similar experience, initially deciding on the 244RLS or 277RLS. We weren't crazy about the middle kitchen, but didn't want to go any longer or more $$ and DH insisted on a 5th wheel. Before making the final sale, we looked on the Keystone site and saw the 279RKS and knew this was the floor plan we wanted. I called the dealer to see if they could get us one, because he hadn't shown the 279RKS. Surprise - they had two on the lot - one with the U-dinette and one with the table and chairs. He hadn't shown it to us because it was more than our stated budget. We loved the openness of the floor plan and the big window/lots of counter in the kitchen. We were able to negotiate a price we could afford, and, after 3 mos we are still happy with our choice. Of course, there is always a bigger, better floor plan, but I try not to look at the other choices and remember what we traded in - a 1996 Nash 22H with no slide and a bed neither of us could sleep in. 1000% improvement
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote