Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
neesey62

Tire suggestion

After only our second trip, we had a blow out on our2011 Cougar fiver. I researched the brand of tire that blew and its nickname is "Chinabomb!" They are the Powerking TowMax brand. I noticed the brand of my spare was different, Milestar M 100 so I researched it and its reputation is just as bad!

What brand do you suggest for our 323 RES?

Finding that most of the tires are now made in China and very few have good reviews.
neesey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
scjetb

Talking

When I bought my 329 RE it had TOWCRAPS on it. I pulled it home from the dealer and pulled it straight to the tire store. I put BFGoodrich Commercial Ta's on it. They have the run cool technoloegy engineered in them. My buddy had two blowouts on his fiver with the Towmax tires. He had only had them for two years. I didn't want to be sitting on side of the road like he had too. I did see on here where a guy said he loves his Towcraps ...i mean towmax tires. This only my opinion.I have heard way too much negatives about them to even try. Just make sure you have the right tire pressure and stay within the guidelines of towing.
2012 Keystone Laredo 329 RE
( Have Cabin, Will Travel )
scjetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
byrdr1

Mine is at the tire store today getting two new Maxxis 8008 load range e installed. pick it up after work today. headed to the beach Saturday am. I am taking a chance as I am only replacing the front two today. the back two later after we get back, I hope and pray.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
neesey62

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjetb View Post
When I bought my 329 RE it had TOWCRAPS on it. I pulled it home from the dealer and pulled it straight to the tire store. I put BFGoodrich Commercial Ta's on it. They have the run cool technoloegy engineered in them. My buddy had two blowouts on his fiver with the Towmax tires. He had only had them for two years. I didn't want to be sitting on side of the road like he had too. I did see on here where a guy said he loves his Towcraps ...i mean towmax tires. This only my opinion.I have heard way too much negatives about them to even try. Just make sure you have the right tire pressure and stay within the guidelines of towing.
Did you get these from a chain dealer? Having trouble finding them.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
derekb

We had a blowout just outside of Memphis three years ago. I can't remember what kind of tires they were, but I found a Goodyear dealer in Memphis and had four new Marathons put on. I've been real happy with them. On another note, my neighbor uses nothing but Hercules tires on his gooseneck horse trailer and loves them.
derekb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
mrbob43

Goodyear Marathons

Had a blowout April with them from tire separation. Kicker, is that it looked like it but Goodyear guy said it was okay. Sent remains and I mean remains to them and was by the Goodyear Team in Akron that low tire pressure was the cause and no claim for damage from the tread damaging the 5th wheel. Tire pressure was the 80# recommended that morning at 40 degrees. Had to replace other tires and even a spare that never touched the ground due to separations. Needless to say, absolutely NO recommendation for their tires. Still great tread after 3 years on them also. Must have one of the warehouse originals outdated from Keystone on their unit.
mrbob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
fla-gypsy

Towmax AKA; Blowmax.

Switch to Maxxis
Old 06-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
SoGaDually

By a radial tire, they don't come apart as bad..Always make sure you have the correct air pressure. I see a lot of camper going up and down the highway and the tires look like they are really low on air pressure. Low air pressure cause the tire to heat up and then you have a "BANG".....Nuff Said!
"Still Tree Hugger Friendly"
https://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...46290d167a.jpg
SoGaDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
neesey62

Okay, so I'm seeing Maxxis recommended quite a bit. But either way we need to run 80# s of pressure for them, right? Oh yeah we have the Cougar 323 RES.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neesey62 View Post
Okay, so I'm seeing Maxxis recommended quite a bit. But either way we need to run 80# s of pressure for them, right? Oh yeah we have the Cougar 323 RES.

Thanks everyone!
The D rated tire is 65 psi and 2540 max load, the E rated tire is 80 psi and 2830 max load

http://http://www.maxxis.com/Industr...ST-Radial.aspx
Old 06-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
neesey62

Ok, great. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
Bigsky3625

Go up a tire size and as much of a load range as possible. All mufacturers put crap tires on and they have little safety margin.

We have 17.5" hi- spec rims with GY G114 tires that are trailer specific.

Our Big Sky weighs in at just over 13k. So the safety margin is good.
Maxxis are good tires. Put them on our first TT. Upgraded from 14" to 15".

Good luck!
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #13
Bob Landry

I'm having a set of Maxxis E's put on my trailer Saturday. LT's were my first choice, but Keystone chose to use 15" rims and LT tires in that range are really hard to find. My trailer came with Galaxy Road Riders(never heard of them) and they are going before they have a chance to blow. I know the trailer builders want to go cheap, but factored into the prices we pay for a trailer, there's just not that much price difference between a China tire and a good one.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
scjetb

Quote:
Originally Posted by neesey62 View Post
Did you get these from a chain dealer? Having trouble finding them.
I bought the tires at Discount Tire. I removed the ones off the camper myself and took them in for them to change. A buddy, took his camper into them and they swapped them there.
2012 Keystone Laredo 329 RE
( Have Cabin, Will Travel )
scjetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
neesey62

We think we're going with Toyo LTs. We've researched and it seems they are a good dependable tire, or so we hope.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #16
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I'm having a set of Maxxis E's put on my trailer Saturday. LT's were my first choice, but Keystone chose to use 15" rims and LT tires in that range are really hard to find. My trailer came with Galaxy Road Riders(never heard of them) and they are going before they have a chance to blow. I know the trailer builders want to go cheap, but factored into the prices we pay for a trailer, there's just not that much price difference between a China tire and a good one.
Bob I will be doing the same thing Saturday morning. Stepping up to load range E Maxxis. My current set of D's are over 6 years old and served me well.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
Bob I will be doing the same thing Saturday morning. Stepping up to load range E Maxxis. My current set of D's are over 6 years old and served me well.
If you haven’t already done so, you should consider adding steel valve stems, approved for a TPMS. You may want to add that system sometime in the future.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
neesey62

Hey yes, great info! We have already talked about getting one. Can you recommend a certain unit?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
KenBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsky3625 View Post
Go up a tire size and as much of a load range as possible. All mufacturers put crap tires on and they have little safety margin.

We have 17.5" hi- spec rims with GY G114 tires that are trailer specific.

Our Big Sky weighs in at just over 13k. So the safety margin is good.
Maxxis are good tires. Put them on our first TT. Upgraded from 14" to 15".

Good luck!
We did the same on our Fuzion. Couldn't get the Carlisles off fast enough.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
Towmax AKA; Blowmax.
ROTFLMAO, that's why I love these forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neesey62
Can you recommend a certain TPMS?
I have a $219 TireTraker and the peace of mind it provides is worth every penny.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote