Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
kazuaki

Gen Exhaust

Is there a safety reason why the exhaust pipe on my gen has to be so long and positioned so far back? (see pic) I'd like to swing it toward the front so that it is coming directly out the side of the trailer, just behind or in front of the front landing gear, then chop off the extra. Any reason not to do that?

Thanks

kazuaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
crash

We have a Raptor 384pk and I was told that they run it like that so that the exhaust fumes are not going straight up into the bedroom slide.I think it looks like crap but oh well.just my 2 cents
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
mhs4771

If you are close to your neighbor you would normally use a generator stack on the exhaust and it needs to attach to the side of the rig, thus between the slides. Our SOB is setup just like your TH.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Heliumhel

It's like that to prevent CO poisoning, have a friend that almost happened to at talladega one year. Really bad news, you want that venting away from where you sleep.. I have a 384pk as well and intend to use the genturi, could be off on the name, that camping world sells. It vents the gas above the camper and makes the engine a little more quiet, not that it's noisy now.
Heliumhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
davidjsimons

A couple of years ago, a woman died at the Richmond race that same way. It was actually from her neighbors generator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Heliumhel

The incident that happen to us was as a result of a neighbors generator blowing exhaust under a slide out. If my brother and I, we were in a different camper, hadn't gotten worried about them and started banging on camper trying t wake everyone. There would have been 4 at Talladega that didn't make it home.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
kazuaki

Our previous trailer came with the exhaust coming straight out the side under the bed window. Never even thought twice about it. I guess I'll have to find another option. I'm trying to tuck the exhaust up closer to the frame and make it less likely to drag where we camp.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Heliumhel

What you could do is make an extension that bolts on and cut the pipe under the trailer. Just don't forget to bolt the extension on before you start the generator, you want to avoid venting under the camper. Might even be able to find some couplers that can make it so you can twist it in and off. I would check Home Depot, Lowes or Ace for something that may work other than plastic.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
BigCajun

Genturi is the way to go! I fought the idea for a while, thinking that there must be a way to route the exhaust away from the slide(All slides will allow exhaust in at one point or another...they never seal tight), but the only way is to route it to the patio or sitting side. I didn't want the noise nor the fumes where we sit, cook and hang out. So, Genturi it was! and I am happy with it and glad I bought one.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
kazuaki

We're boondockers, so neighbors are not an issue. Would directing the exhaust to the front (pin box area) be a bad idea?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

If you route the exhaust to the front (pin box area) it will still be under the RV, just under the bedroom area. Exhaust gasses, because they are hot and lighter than air, tend to rise. You really don't want them rising to the front pin box, then drifting to the side and up toward the windows. It would be better to either get it above the RV (genturi) or as a second choice, out the side as far as possible and away from any slides or windows.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #12
dave-g

it may not look great but you are alive to talk about it. You do not want it under the rv in any way. or under a slide.

ALSO- EVERY ONE WITH A GENERATOR BUY A DIGITAL CO2 MONITOR!!!!

They are about 35-45 $ at most stores- It should say "zero " all the time. It it starts to read any thing some thing is up. Most not display co2 monitors go off between 100 and 125 ppm. At this point you could be very sick or die in 8 hours- so what happens if the co2 inside is 99 ppm? I'll tell you the standard alarm does not go off- but at the min you are very sick.

I was at an rv show in NJ this January and saw a 5er with the gen exhaust right under the pin, directly below the bed room. I talked the the sales man and he said" I know its dangerous- but I just sell them- I don't build them!" what an a$$.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
Drew Waller

Genturi Kit

Genturi is the way to go! I just bought one from Amazon and I'm putting it on this weekend. I am very cautious about CO gases. I had some friends killed with it. They had a Back Bunk model Motorhome with the generator back there also. The wind changed after they went to sleep taking the gasses up underneath the motorhome. They never made it! I still won't leave the generator on if I'm sleeping! But I do like getting the gasses up and over away from me and my neighbors.

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
abneynormal

a stack

I talked to a guy at a bike rally/ drag race. he said they are mandatory in the pit area. he was using a piece of gutter with a ell on each end. I would like to fab a stack out of pipe for when we are on the road. we stop at truck stops/ walmarts and the fumes can build up. but don't vent the exhaust under your bed. as far as dragging I usually worry more about ripping the sewer off than the exhaust.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
MConnelly

exhaust location

I actually relocated mine from under the bedroom window on the opposite side of the rig to the location you have. I installed a Venturi stack and all has been well since.
In the position where it is now there is a risk of the heater blower picking up exhaust fumes, if your heater is located as mine between the two slides, and pushing the fumes into the rig. The Venturi solves that as well.
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
kazuaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConnelly View Post
I actually relocated mine from under the bedroom window on the opposite side of the rig to the location you have. I installed a Venturi stack and all has been well since.
In the position where it is now there is a risk of the heater blower picking up exhaust fumes, if your heater is located as mine between the two slides, and pushing the fumes into the rig. The Venturi solves that as well.
My furnace is on the other side of the trailer, it is my water heater that's just above the exhaust. I ended up just cutting the exhaust slightly shorter where it mates to the generator (the vertical section) and tucking the exhaust up tighter to the underbelly.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
Jager

The Genturi should be standard equipment on these IMO. These rigs typically sell for over $50K fully loaded. So a $20 piece of PVC breaks the Keystone profit margin? When we bought our unit new the exhaust pipe was on the awning side. I had to by some pipe and swing it around to the other side and in back of the slide as shown in the OP. Then we of course added the stack. This is a no brainer.

I also agree with the post about getting a better CO2 monitor. Even with the stack we have smelled fumes in the hauler at times depending on the wind conditions.

I have never known anyone to go to sleep with their generators running? That is just something I would never do/trust.