Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
x96mnn

Quick lube axles not so quick

Need some help here.

Axles say Al-Co on them
On a Sprinter 266
I watched the videos, read all I could find...planned this for 6 weeks.
Trailer is jacked, wheels on right side spins freely
Popped the centre cap, removed the rubber stopper
New grease gun, magestic j6 hi temp greese
First wheel goes almost as planned, half way through a tube the gun locks solid, take it off and grease comes out , put it on and Handel will not move. I think it's done and move onto next wheel, same thing will not pump grease when attaced to nipple. Try a new tube of grease, same result, think gun is broken, return gun and get new one plus have them replace the full tube of grease in gun. Get home and same thing.

What do I try next?
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
x96mnn

Gets a little odder, I removed a grease fitting from the axle and grease moves through no issues not attached...I'm lost now....
Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
labs4life

Are you still greasing the first wheel?? It only takes a couple pumps per zert. Too much grease will blow the dust seals from the back side of the bearings. They then should be replaced.

Let me know exactly what you are talking about I am a bit confused.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
x96mnn

This link is what I am trying to do.

But my axles will not take any grease after the first one. The handle of the grease gun is like it is locked as soon as you attach it to the quick grease nipple.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
labs4life

Has it been a long time since they were greased?? I have seen equipment that does not get greased regularly get like that. The grease gets foreign matter in it and solidifies. This causes what you are talking about. The only thing I could think to do now is remove the bearings and figure out the problem.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
f6bits

Some wheels need *way* more than two pumps. That's why I took mine to a shop and had them manually repacked. Now I know they're full and can actually be topped off with the requisite two pumps.

In addition to suspect solidified grease, it could just be the fitting has gone bad and needs to be replaced.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
labs4life

He said he took the zerk out and grease flowed free through it. I would rather pack them manually as well.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
f6bits

Ah, I missed that. Yep, time for some disassembly. Got mine done for $75 per axle. Well worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labs4life View Post
He said he took the zerk out and grease flowed free through it. I would rather pack them manually as well.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
x96mnn

I stopped, it's warranty, camper was bought new in July 2012 so I will let them figure it out. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
I stopped, it's warranty, camper was bought new in July 2012 so I will let them figure it out. Thanks for the replies.
Probably a good idea. Bearing fail on a trip is no fun for sure!!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

x96mnn, I just noticed your location ...... What is the temperature???? Cold grease in the axle will not push through. Factory grease is lithium based ... be sure to use the same type grease if you are not going to clean and hand pack. Packing bearings will not be covered under warranty. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
x96mnn

Hank I think that was it. Was around 45 here today, and yes I was over anxious to get out and get working on it.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Hank I think that was it. Was around 45 here today, and yes I was over anxious to get out and get working on it.
I think we have all been there before.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You're probably right on track. The ports and channels in the hub are relatively small and the pressure to push cold, thick grease through them will make it very hard to grease them when cold. Also, double check your owner's manual and watch the Dexter instruction video regarding how to properly grease your hubs. You should remove the tire, or jack the wheel up so it spins freely, turn the wheel as you're inserting grease and continue until CLEAN grease flows from the hub (around the grease gun nozzle). If you think about it, just putting a couple of "pumps" of grease in the hub wouldn't displace any of the old, possibly contaminated grease. The objective is to displace and remove all the old grease. That takes about half to 3/4 of a tube per hub. In the video, Dexter uses two different colors of grease to demonstrate using the new grease to push all the old grease out of the hub. Also, make sure you're spinning the hub so the bearings will rotate past the grease channels and displace the old grease inside the bearing races. Be careful to not pump the grease in too fast, you can easily displace or damage the seals on the back of the hub.

It's an easy job to do, but you're not going to get it done unless the hubs and the grease are at lease 70*F or warmer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
Mike Fender

I contacted Dexter Axle. I was told it would take about 9 ounces of grease to fill the void in the hub before it would ooze out per the lube instructions.
Mike Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
fla-gypsy

I have the Al-Ko version of this and it took a lot of grease to get some back out the first time. I also lifted each wheel and spun it as I went even though Al-Ko says it is not necessary.