Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #101
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Well, life comes at you fast! Not only are we not changing our travel plans, we are doubling down and getting a bigger truck with an even bigger engine after all. One of the dealers I had been working with called me this past Saturday and said he found my unicorn. Then just like that, it was built this Tuesday, shipped by rail today (Thursday) and should be here sometime in the next 10 days or so!
Congratulations!
Getting a new truck is like Christmas day when your 10 years old and see a shiny new bike…at least until the first payment is due
Old 06-02-2022, 08:12 AM   #102
rakearns1

I figure my fuel cost per mile. I am now in CO paying 55 cents per mile. Like everyone say, it fluctuates. Most likely the price will be higher.
rakearns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #103
Jim2366

Every 1,000 miles is $500 which is a low cost way to travel. Compare that to Airline tickets, a rental and paying for a VRBO or driving a car and staying in used hotel rooms and eating out at high cost restaurants. My first date with my wife 44 years ago we went out to eat and she said lets just go back to your house and I will make you lunch. The food cooked in the RV is better tasting and I can eat as much or as little as I want. The longer you stay the cost per day goes down too. Having your own kitchen, bathroom and bedroom and being on the road is better even if it did cost more.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #104
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
Every 1,000 miles is $500 which is a low cost way to travel. Compare that to Airline tickets, a rental and paying for a VRBO or driving a car and staying in used hotel rooms and eating out at high cost restaurants. My first date with my wife 44 years ago we went out to eat and she said lets just go back to your house and I will make you lunch. The food cooked in the RV is better tasting and I can eat as much or as little as I want. The longer you stay the cost per day goes down too. Having your own kitchen, bathroom and bedroom and being on the road is better even if it did cost more.
All true, but as fuel prices rise along with the cost of RV parks, I think more and more people will leave the lifestyle and start staying home. Especially all the ones that jumped into it over the past couple years. At least I hope so. 5 years ago we could go just about anywhere we wanted and didn’t have to worry about advance reservations. Now days you need to reserve sites 6 months in advance or find yourself in a Walmart parking lot
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:12 AM   #105
rakearns1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
All true, but as fuel prices rise along with the cost of RV parks, I think more and more people will leave the lifestyle and start staying home. Especially all the ones that jumped into it over the past couple years. At least I hope so. 5 years ago we could go just about anywhere we wanted and didn’t have to worry about advance reservations. Now days you need to reserve sites 6 months in advance or find yourself in a Walmart parking lot
Here in CO it is that way. If you don't get a spot reserve in January you probably won't. The other thing they changed here was you can't just drive up and find an open spot. There are many people that reserve different spots knowing they will not use all of them. They just cancel what they don't use at no cost if they do it in time. Those spots sit idle while people sit at home or boondock when they don't want to.
rakearns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:16 AM   #106
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Well, I just say what I used to tell a coworker who owned a camper when I was newly married. My wife likes to go on vacation to. IMO, having the DW cook meals, clean up, and make beds isn't much of a vacation for her. We were boat owners at the time and our vacations were typically traveling in a car (if relatively close) or flying to a location. We ALL had the vacation without any chores. So there are merits to both.

I think making the comparison can be lopsided if you don't take into account for ALL the costs involved. The increased cost and maintenance of the tow vehichle. The cost of owning and maintaining an RV. The insurance, etc. just like anything else, the cost of ownership goes down with the more it's used and cost of using it goes up the more it's used.

I don't think the majority of RV owners are into the activity to "save money". JMO, JMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:33 AM   #107
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Well, I just say what I used to tell a coworker who owned a camper when I was newly married. My wife likes to go on vacation to. IMO, having the DW cook meals, clean up, and make beds isn't much of a vacation for her. We were boat owners at the time and our vacations were typically traveling in a car (if relatively close) or flying to a location. We ALL had the vacation without any chores. So there are merits to both.

I think making the comparison can be lopsided if you don't take into account for ALL the costs involved. The increased cost and maintenance of the tow vehichle. The cost of owning and maintaining an RV. The insurance, etc. just like anything else, the cost of ownership goes down with the more it's used and cost of using it goes up the more it's used.

I don't think the majority of RV owners are into the activity to "save money". JMO, JMMV

^^^Yep, going someplace new and still doing the daily chores don't make momma too happy. First time I ever got a timeshare solicitation (I was young) wanted to go and see what it was. They gave us 3 days there. Beautiful, split level on the side of a mountain overlooking the winding highway in the city - gorgeous. Me, the kids, and DW (I thought were having a grand time). We were getting ready to leave and told her I think I'll buy. You should have seen her face not to mention her "words". "All this is is housework in a different place that's harder to clean - it's not a vacation!" Well, that didn't work out and I got the point.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #108
bsmith0404

The cooking part is a vacation for my wife. We very seldom (3 times in 10 years) cook in the RV. Just about every meal we eat I cook on the grill or camp chef. Most of our side dishes are cold or also cooked on the camp chef. I think the cleaning is easier as well. I wash dishes outside, we use a lot more paper plates and plastic ware, also less space so we tend to do more clean as you go instead of her cleaning the entire house.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:28 AM   #109
Jim2366

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
The cooling part is a vacation for my wife. We very seldom (3 times in 10 years) cook in the RV. Just about every meal we eat I cook on the grill or camp chef. Most of our side dishes are cold or also cooked on the camp chef. I think the cleaning is easier as well. I wash dishes outside, we use a lot more paper plates and plastic ware, also less space so we tend to do more clean as you go instead of her cleaning the entire house.

It shows how everyone is different and uniquely made. Both my wife and I our first jobs were cooks at age 16. She grew up in Colorado and Kansas and I was in Missouri. We both enjoy cooking, homemade bread, bisque's, cakes, cookies, briskets, chicken, burgers. I grow a lot of vegetables in raised bed gardens. We also pressure cook and can all kinds of food and grind our own flour. We enjoy making meals it is although sometimes I will just have a peanut butter and jelly. I have 4 different BBQ’s and was looking at getting a pellet one last night. It’s good that we all don’t like the same things are there would never be a campsite available.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:43 AM   #110
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
It shows how everyone is different and uniquely made. Both my wife and I our first jobs were cooks at age 16. She grew up in Colorado and Kansas and I was in Missouri. We both enjoy cooking, homemade bread, bisque's, cakes, cookies, briskets, chicken, burgers. I grow a lot of vegetables in raised bed gardens. We also pressure cook and can all kinds of food and grind our own flour. We enjoy making meals it is although sometimes I will just have a peanut butter and jelly. I have 4 different BBQ’s and was looking at getting a pellet one last night. It’s good that we all don’t like the same things are there would never be a campsite available.
Yup, couldn't agree more! If a person has a passion then that activity isn't a chore. If we were all the same it would be a very dull world.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:03 AM   #111
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

^^^I would highly recommend a pellet smoker. Used to think of them as "cheating" and the only way to go was a stick burner. Boy was I wrong. I can actually smoke a brisket and do something other than watch and play with the fire. Lots of brands nowadays and Traeger isn't the only game in town. I would recommend you get one with one of the newer PID controllers
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #112
mbi777

Not gonna let gas prices decide if I am going camping or not. We are still blessed with good health and going to take advantage of every moment we have left. We are both in our late 60's and there are guarantees of tomorrow anymore. Good Lord willing, we will be taking several trips this year that have been planned since the beginning of the year.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:57 PM   #113
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^I would highly recommend a pellet smoker. Used to think of them as "cheating" and the only way to go was a stick burner. Boy was I wrong. I can actually smoke a brisket and do something other than watch and play with the fire. Lots of brands nowadays and Traeger isn't the only game in town. I would recommend you get one with one of the newer PID controllers
I got a Louisiana pellet grill 20 yrs ago. English muffin pizza’s are but 1 yummy.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:37 PM   #114
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Same here Danny. 100% verbaitim. I actually get to play with the kids and do things now instead of just watch the fire drop to nothing or roar to 350F. I set it as 225-250F and forget it for a few hours. Check on it and rotate as needed and bingo, perect pulled pork/ribs/ you name it with zero fuss. I have the Costco special Traeger, and I couldn't be happier.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote