Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
davvalh

2014 Springdale 253 slide problem

I have a 2014 Springdale 253 fifth wheel with 2 slides. one slide works fine the other will not go out or in. Are the fuses the 40amp in the electrical panel?
I checked them and they were ok. am i looking at the correct fuses?
I swapped the switch and same thing the one slide work the other doesn't
Can any one help me out?
davvalh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your looking at the 2 40A fuses that are seperate from the row of 12V fuses, then no, those the reverse polarity fuses. You may have resettable circuit breakers in the row of fuses, or on the frame near the battery. I suspect that’s where your problem is.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I bevelieve the two 40 amp fuses on your power distribution panel are the Reverse Polarity fuses and have nothing to do with your slides. I'd first measure the voltage at the input wires to the switches you swapped. If there is power at the input of BOTH switches, then it's not a fuse/circuit breaker problem. If you have power at the switches on BOTH, then the issue is from the switch to the slide motor, not from the switch to the converter/battery.

Once you confirm that the issue is "switch to slide", then first crawl under your RV and on the "non driven ram" on the inoperative slide, you'll find a "brass cone". That cone determines how far in your slide travels. Sometimes the slide will "rack slightly" and jam that cone. When that happens, loosening the brass cone will often get the motor unlocked and the slide working again.

DO NOT ADJUST THE BRASS CONE UNTIL AFTER YOU CONFIRM THE PROBLEM IS NOT A POWER TO THE MOTOR ISSUE !!!!! Doing so will just make your single problem a two or three issue problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
davvalh

Thanks for the info. I do not have any power at the switch and I do not have a resettable
fuse. I do have 2 30 amp fuses in the fuse panel. Does anyone know where the fuses are for the slide. Like I said earlier one slide works and the other one does nothing.
Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

On my 2011 Springdale 242 (smaller fifth wheel in the same line) the 12 volt circuit breakers were mounted in the forward compartment, just above the battery. The POS battery cable will go to the input of the first circuit breaker, then branch to the other breakers (either two or three) that power everything in the trailer. One of those circuit breakers powers your slides. Power will go from the battery, through the breaker to the switch where if you push UP on the switch, the slide extends and if you push DOWN on the switch, the reverse power is applied to the motor and the slide retracts.

Just find your trailer battery, follow the POS battery cable and it will take you directly to the 12 volt circuit breakers.....

Here's a photo of what you'll probably see. Note the red plastic cover on the first circuit breaker located between the two battery boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERIES AND CUTOFF SWITCH 1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	37252  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-26-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
davvalh

Thanks I have found the breakers by the battery. Are they resettable? However like I said before one slide works and the other doesn't. So I am thinking that one is ok. Are there fuses in the fuse panel for the slides? If so does anyone know witch ones they are.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't remember seeing fuses for the slides in the fuse panel on my Springdale. It was a 2011, so there may have been some wiring changes between then and your production date, but somehow, I doubt Keystone did that kind of a wiring change without a reason and I can't come up with any "logical reason" to change fuse locations on a system that hasn't had any significant reliability or safety concerns......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-26-2021, 08:55 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davvalh View Post
Thanks I have found the breakers by the battery. Are they resettable? However like I said before one slide works and the other doesn't. So I am thinking that one is ok. Are there fuses in the fuse panel for the slides? If so does anyone know witch ones they are.
IF you have a fuse for a slide in the fuse panel, it will most likely be a resettable circuit breaker. It will be a copper colored rectangle.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, springdale