Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #21
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
The little silver thing?
Prior to taking the photo, I had replaced our water pump and just had the old one sitting in front of the softener. Not connected to anything.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #22
LHaven

I would just take a bucket I wouldn't mind losing, wrap the softener cylinders in Saran Wrap, buy an aerosol can of Great Stuff, and then foam it "permanently" inside the bucket until I'm ready to move it to a heated area. Then just slice open the bucket, carve off the foam, and remove the Saran.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #23
shermris

I would opt for heating the bucket with a trouble light. A 40 watt incandescent bulb should give off plenty of heat for a 5 gallon bucket. While I was building my home in MN I heated my water line where it came out of the ground in an insulated 4' high x5' long x4' wide box all winter with 2 60 watt bulbs and maintained 65 to 75 degrees all winter. Just cover the top with a piece of styrofoam.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:15 AM   #24
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
Lots of great ideas here. Lewy64's idea for a styrofoam cooler makes a lot of sense to me. With that in mind you could take 2 of the styrofoam 6pk coolers and put them top to top (one upside down on top of the other). That could make it tall enough for your unit. If not, you could add a ring of foam between the coolers, maybe even from the lids.

The heat from the heated hose may be enough. If you don't think so, you could always add a 25w bulb making sure it doesn't touch anything.

Years ago we had an above ground well pump. It was in an insulated structure we called a 'Dog house'. About 2' square by maybe 30" high. We heated it with a 100w bulb and never had a problem.

Is the hose from the water softener to the Montana heated also?
No, it sure isn't. Do they make a 6-8 foot heated hose? Or should I just put pip insulation around it?

Have not been able to work on it since making the post. My Dad died last Sat afternoon and I have been busy with the funeral arrangements. Luckily, its been pretty moderate here at night, temp wise.
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:05 PM   #25
Whitewolf

First and foremost, I’m very sorry for the loss of your dad. I completely understand how that can delay projects.

I don’t know what the shortest heated hose there is. I think mine is 15’. You might need to use heat tape and pipe insulation. Not sure if heat tape gets too hot for water hose tho.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #26
Javi

Quote:
No, it sure isn't. Do they make a 6-8 foot heated hose? Or should I just put pip insulation around it?

Have not been able to work on it since making the post. My Dad died last Sat afternoon and I have been busy with the funeral arrangements. Luckily, its been pretty moderate here at night, temp wise.
https://www.amazon.com/Pirit-PWL-04-.../dp/B07VLL94FS
Old 12-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #27
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
First and foremost, I’m very sorry for the loss of your dad. I completely understand how that can delay projects.

I don’t know what the shortest heated hose there is. I think mine is 15’. You might need to use heat tape and pipe insulation. Not sure if heat tape gets too hot for water hose tho.
Thank you, sir, for your condolences.

I think Javi is on the right track. Just get another heated hose for the outlet part of softener. Think I will go ahead and get some closed cell foam and insert it in the excess and use whatever is left to fashion a round piece for the cut out in the convenience center. Thank you all so much. I knew there'd be something better than just towels shoved in. Next 60* day I get, I'm gonna work on getting inside the basement. I'll post it up when it's done.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 12-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #28
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Reckon you could find something to go around the water softener so that you could fill the bucket with expanding foam? and then pull the softener out - sort of making a formed, insulated bucket?
Stretch wrap/cellophane wrap. Whatever the wrap protects will come right out after the foam has begun to set. Some of the wrap might get stuck a bit, but it can usually be pulled out after the foam has set and cooled off. I've made several foam forms using this method.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:46 PM   #29
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Stretch wrap/cellophane wrap. Whatever the wrap protects will come right out after the foam has begun to set. Some of the wrap might get stuck a bit, but it can usually be pulled out after the foam has set and cooled off. I've made several foam forms using this method.
Something to think about, thats for sure until I get in the pass thru
Roll Tide Roll
Old 12-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #30
jimborokz

Quote:

First, my condolences for your loss, that's a tough one.

Here is a heat tape that I use on our water spigot at our private winter site. I have used it for 5 years now and it has not failed me. Our overnight temps will sometimes drop into the teens. I believe you can cut this stuff if you need a shorter piece. Just run it along the hose and attach with wire ties and cover with foam pipe insulation or if you are filling the bucket with insulation that's all you would need.

https://www.truevalue.com/pipe-heati...egulating-5-ft
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #31
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
First, my condolences for your loss, that's a tough one.

Here is a heat tape that I use on our water spigot at our private winter site. I have used it for 5 years now and it has not failed me. Our overnight temps will sometimes drop into the teens. I believe you can cut this stuff if you need a shorter piece. Just run it along the hose and attach with wire ties and cover with foam pipe insulation or if you are filling the bucket with insulation that's all you would need.

https://www.truevalue.com/pipe-heati...egulating-5-ft
Thank you for your thoughts. Dementia is a bad thing to watch to take away a loved one. At least it took him fast with no pains.

I am gonna try that. Next time i'm in town. I found a piece of good closed cell foam someone had thrown away and I fitted and cut it and had enough to do my cutout and stuff the rest into the bucket. Supposed to rain tonight, so I have the softener covered and stuffed to hopefully warmer and as close to the under belly of coach I could get, for tonight. Think I'll be ok till I get the heat tape in the next couple days. Thank you, sir.

AC
Roll Tide Roll

Tags
water