Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
roho

slide issues

I have a 2016 Keystone Cougar Lite 29RES. I bought new and have not used very much. The slide that has 2 recliners and dining table with chairs jerks when running either direction(in or out). I would like to know if anyone has a solution for this problem? Whenever it is parked the slides are left retracted. I understand it is probably slide bar related.
Thanks
roho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Your trailer has a "in the frame electric slide" I'd make a guess that your problem with the slide jerking is probably the same as I described in post #9 in this thread: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...971#post416971

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:00 AM   #3
roho

Thanks for your reply. I failed to mention that this is a fifth wheel My slide is cable operated and I believe it has a slide bar that must not be very durable. The small slide in the bedroom has rollers to run on all three slides are cable operated
Old 10-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
nied

The only long term solution.
https://www.dyersonline.com/bal-rv-1...gaAlWKEALw_wcB
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roho View Post
I have a 2016 Keystone Cougar Lite 29RES. I bought new and have not used very much. The slide that has 2 recliners and dining table with chairs jerks when running either direction(in or out). I would like to know if anyone has a solution for this problem? Whenever it is parked the slides are left retracted. I understand it is probably slide bar related.
Thanks
I have a 2016 XLite 29RLI and had the same problem. I tried to clean the slide rail and wound up binding it. You can lubricate the slide rail as well as the underside of the slide with WD40 Dry Lube with PTFE and it will help a lot. Also lube your pulleys and slide cables, that will help to smooth it up also.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:27 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Have you looked under the slides to check the darco? Is it damaged, frayed, abraded etc? If so you will need to determine how bad it is and then proceed from there.

If it has sat for long periods and not been used has the darco become dirty? The darco on the bottom of the slide "glides" (or it's supposed to) over a wear bar underneath the slide. If dirt, crud or other debris has gotten into that space it can make the slide jerk. If the bottom has any other type of substance that could make it jerk. If it has sat for a long time the seals may have become deformed and just curled up around the edges of the slide causing it to jerk. Lots of things. The seals themselves could be compromised in some way sticking to the edges of the slide causing an issue.

You can try the rollers mentioned in a previous post but the link was to the roller for a 1/2" wear bar, they also come in 3/4" so you need to know the height of the one you have if you go that route. A note on that though - I used to want them myself but I have now seen multiple slides with the darco worn through/torn up by rollers. They did it to our new MHC the first time the slides came out. Keystone replaced the bottoms of my slides with a solid material so my issues are gone but that was under warranty (good will ).

Look those slides over top to bottom, side to side and post back with anything you find. If it has been sitting that much I would clean the seals for sure then treat them. I put 303 on my seals; just rub it on, let it sit a bit and rub it off. Get back and maybe we can get it working without doing some major mod.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #7
roho

I have treated the seals several times with a product made for that purpose. The Darco on the bottom of the slide is clean and looks good. All cables look good and have beeswax applied( I was told to do that by service department manager at dealership). I am leaning toward the rollers just wondering if I could verify size without raising slide room to inspect.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
Northofu1

You would have to raise the slide to install them as well.
Not sure if you have researched youtube, this is a good video.
Good luck.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roho View Post
I have treated the seals several times with a product made for that purpose. The Darco on the bottom of the slide is clean and looks good. All cables look good and have beeswax applied( I was told to do that by service department manager at dealership). I am leaning toward the rollers just wondering if I could verify size without raising slide room to inspect.

On my last trailer I could bring the slide in a foot or so then see the wear bar if I got down there with it. I'm not sure if you can actually measure it without raising the slide or just "guestimate" it.

Have you ever put anything at the junction of the wear bar and darco behind the bottom slide seal to try to lubricate it (be very careful of what you put there)? You might try something like that before you go to the trouble and expense of the rollers - especially if the darco looks good.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #10
roho

Thanks to all for your help. I think I am going with rollers for a permanent solution
Old 12-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
BtownTraveler

Not sure if you found answers to this problem. I fixed the same issue in my 2016 29RES by carefully cleaning the lining on the bottom of the slide with alcohol then spraying it with WD-40 Brand Dirt & Dust Resistant Dry Lube, PTFE Spray. I sprayed it on the rag and wiped the main area down and sprayed it into the areas i could not reach. I arrived here after much research and many phone calls. The fix has worked great, but you have to reapply about every six months of use.
BtownTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide