Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2020, 12:20 AM   #1
MellowSoul

Choosing a Keystone

Hi there, we're are selling our 2017 Coachmen Freedom express and thinking about keystone. Are here any 2018 KEYSTONE RV SPRINTER CAMPFIRE EDITION 33BH owners? I just wanted to know what decent models can I find fo 24k (comfortable for people). I have a son and I'm pregnant right now, so I understand that won't be easy. The keystone I mentioned was on the top of the list on rvdealer, actually. 6 reviews and for of them have 3 stars
MellowSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:59 AM   #2
notanlines

Mellowsoul, I know very little about this particular RV, other than it is VERY long and VERY heavy for a bumper pull. Give an appreciable amount of time in consideration of what your tow vehicle may be. I believe this is one of Keystone's RV's that sleeps as mall army. Are you needing that much bedroom space? Remember that designated sleeping areas become a waste of space when not occupied. Kids will NOT spend time there while camping. Just a couple heads up to ponder. Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum from sunny south Florida.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:46 AM   #3
MellowSoul

And what do you know about formaldehyde in new trailers? I've heard sometimes there are some health problems (sinusitis). I've read it here https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...d.php?p=167221
but all the links are old. That should not be a problem for Florida, though. Just open all the windows. Have you bought any air purifiers or something when the trailer was brand new? Have no idea what it's like with Keystones
Old 02-02-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

IMO the "formaldehyde" smell is pretty subjective. Back in the 70s mobile homes (not RVs) were notorious for the smell. Some folks didn't like it, others thought it offensive and had problems with it. Some I went in would make your eyes water. From what I understand new standards were set and that issue diminished greatly.

As far as "RVs", I've been in probably hundreds in the last few months. I've not been in one that the smell was noticeable to me. They do have a "smell" but more like a new car has a "smell". If it has a smell that is offensive to you, or that affects you in some way, that would seem to be something you as an individual would need to see someone about as was indicated in the thread you linked.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

That camper is about a foot longer and 1K heavier than my 303tg. This is not towable with a 1/2 ton truck. I can also tell you that for the inexperienced maneuvering in tight spaces will be challenging.

We bought our unit when our grandchildren were small with thoughts of having space for our 2 daughters, their husbands, and the 4 grandchildren. At the time we had 2 dogs and our youngest daughter had 2 dogs. The ability to sleep 10 and ample floor space worked well at the time. Now that the GC are involved in sports and other activities they don't camp much.

Reality is, now we drag a lot of camper around for 2 people and 1 dog now.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
BauerAP

We have a 2019 Sprinter 32fwbh. We love it after coming from a smaller FR bunk house model. I know they’re not the same floor plan but very similar minus the second half bath. Very similar/identical in workmanship, options and quality.

I won’t go down the path of what you can or can’t tow because that’s not what you asked. We have a 5 year old and now a one year old. We love the second water closet and the door as opposed to curtain or no separation for the bunk room.

We wanted a larger camper as our family grew. We made a wish list and a must have list. The only thing that was missing from the list with the sprinter we bought was a second entry door that led straight into a bathroom. What they say about buying your second camper first is definitely true. Take the time to decide what you want and what you can’t live without and find that within your budget.

Hope it helps and good luck in your search.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Formaldehyde is an "issue" with NEW trailers. Any 2018 model (likely built in 2017) is no longer a "NEW" trailer. It may be an untitled unit, so it can be sold as new, but the reality is that it's sat on a dealership lot for at least 2 years and possibly 3+ years, so any formaldehyde "outgassing" has already occurred and there will be "minimal, at best" issues with formaldehyde outgassing.

As for a 34' travel trailer for 3 people with a 4th on the way? Are you planning to full time in this trailer or "camp some weekends" in this trailer? It's not a mobile home and won't afford year round "livability" or "comfort" and it's WAY too big for 4 people to enjoy camping. You'll find that the hassle of towing that monster, trying to find campsites that can accommodate it, the upkeep, parking, storage and handling will make "camping a chore". That size trailer is difficult to handle and tow and will come with significant limitations on where you can use it....

Think twice before buying a significantly "over-large trailer" for weekend use. And, without the proper tow vehicle, it will be even more of a nightmare on the highway. It's not the kind of trailer you want pull with an undersized tow vehicle with your family's safety to consider.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #8
MellowSoul

I am from Detroit, and we are moving, that's why I'm considering trailers this large for a full-time living, but you assure me that's not the option? The kid has a heightened sense of smell and is allergic to everything, that's why I have to think about all these new-trailer-formaldehyde-smell type of things. Ordered honewell from these guys. "say no to the smells"...sure, but he's still sniffing. Anyway, coming back to the topic. Can you just give me an example of a trailer on rvdealer that would be comfortable for four people, from your point of view? Of course, if you have time for it...
Old 02-02-2020, 07:40 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Are you going to move it once? Transport company may be an option.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I don't know the extent of your Child's breathing issues but I'll just throw this out there. If dust is an allergen the RV's have very limited filtration on the air conditioners (just a porous foam) and no filter on the furnace.

What are you using for a tow vehicle ?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're in Detroit and are moving, where are you moving to? RV's are not well suited for "below freezing temperatures. Sure, you "can make do" but that's not typically easy (or reasonably priced) when you consider 2" thick walls, single pane windows and a 50% efficient furnace that's going to use 5-10 pounds of propane daily. A 20 pound tank will usually last 2-4 days, If it lasts 2 days, costs $10 to refill, you're looking at about $150 a month in propane, plus lot rent, electricity (usually not included in monthly site rentals) and questionable comfort with a couple of toddlers/infants crawling around on a cold RV floor.

If you're moving some place where it seldom freezes, that's different, but moving from say, Detroit to Grand Rapids, well you get the picture...

Full time living in a 34' trailer that's 8' wide is "like living in a shoe box". You'll have a total of around 250 square feet of space. From that, subtract the counter/cupboard spaces, the bathroom, the closets/pantry space and actual living space is around 175-200 square feet. By comparison, a 15x15 room is 225 square feet. Can 4 people "live" in a 15x15 room full time??? or do they "simply exist until they scream" ???

I'm not suggesting that it's impossible, people have lived in tents full time, lived in Conestoga wagons full time and I suppose it's possible, but go into the venture with both eyes wide open.... Don't buy a trailer with hopes that it'll work, depending on where you're moving, how long you plan to live in it and what other alternatives are available, it may not be the smartest option. Especially if you're moving to a cold area of the country. The Sprinter Campfire trailer line is a "ultra-light trailer" so think about things like thinner cushions, smaller holding tanks, lighter, thinner mattresses, smaller propane tanks, thinner doors (often replaced by curtains to reduce weight), lighter weight carpet and vinyl flooring. All of those things, and lots more are used to reduce weight to make the trailer "light enough to advertise as towable by smaller vehicles. Most of that advertisement is "folly" rather than fact.

Think long and hard before you make any final decisions about living full time in an RV (of any size) with a toddler and an infant. It won't be easy and depending on where you "set up camp" it may even be impossible.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone