Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #41
plocklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
WDPatterson, both of the generators you noted in your post look to be open-frame contractor-style generators, not quiet inverter generators. The much louder open-frame models are fine for at home if you're not in an urban subdivision or when boondocking with no neighbors within a mile as long as you don't mind the noise yourself, but they are not suitable for campgrounds where the adjacent sites are much closer. The inverter generators produce much cleaner power for sensitive electronics, too. So where you're going to use the generator needs to be a consideration in what you buy.

But I agree with your point about having more power than a typical 2000/2200 Watt generator offers, and being less taxing on the generator. A 2000/2200 (peak) Watt generator may run the AC but it won't have enough power to run much else while its powering the AC. So a paralleled-pair of the 2000/2200 Watt generators, or a single 3400 Watt generator would be much better than trying to get by with a single 2000/2200 Watt generator.

I agree,

I have an open frame champion generator rated at 3500 watts. Its a great generator and will run everything in my trailer but it is VERY loud. It would be OK in an emergency power outage situation but I would not take it camping.

New tricks
plocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #42
plocklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
Yes, these generators output about 68 DB. I keep them at the full length of the power cord, inside of a well-ventilated tent. I would not recommend using them in a campground where other people may be offended by your noise.

On the other hand, Champion is now manufacturing the model 100302, which is in fact, an open-frame dual hybrid (DH) inverter with surge protection. Actually, almost every generator is surge protected, since its power is limited to begin with. The only thing you're getting with an inverter is a cleaner power output for the sensitive Electronics you may be using.

Thanks WDPatterson,

I have seen these new champion "hybrid" inverter generators. I am curious as to just how quiet they actually are with the open frame.

Ive tried building a baffle box for my open frame champion generator but I never could get the noise level where I wanted, not to mention the sized of the whole thing.

New tricks
Old 08-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #43
Daryles

Tell you what, I have the
Champion 100302 4000-Watt RV Ready DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology (more power, wattage)
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-4000...on+4000&sr=8-3
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...rame-inverter/ ( "64dB from 23 feet" )
I will bring it to Goshen to the rally and we can all do a side by side test with the Honda (57dB).
In fact maybe we can make it an event so we can all compare them (noise,etc.) ??
Just to hear the difference in noise. Obviously the Honda will be quieter. but by how much?
Old 08-18-2019, 06:06 AM   #44
LewisB

It's Been Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Tell you what, I have the
Champion 100302 4000-Watt RV Ready DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology (more power, wattage)
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-4000...on+4000&sr=8-3
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...rame-inverter/ ( "64dB from 23 feet" )
I will bring it to Goshen to the rally and we can all do a side by side test with the Honda (57dB).
In fact maybe we can make it an event so we can all compare them (noise,etc.) ??
Just to hear the difference in noise. Obviously the Honda will be quieter. but by how much?
Check out;https://youtu.be/Uae4l1lNuYc
Go to 2:32 in the video for a comparison. There is a BIG difference between 57dB and 68dB. Then decide which generator that guy parked next to you should buy!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #45
plocklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh1 View Post
I tried three different generators to run the a.c. In a 2910bh and none would run it and restart the a.c. When it powered down after it cooled off the trailer. Only a champion 3500 would run it consistently without overloading. Home.depot was great in allowing me to keep upgrading till I got the 3500. Would buy, hook up , test it out, take it back next day when it failed to run as and move up to the next bigger. My requirement was to run the a.c. And be light enough that I could lift it by myself. The 3500 does both. And starts instantly everytime!! Three years old now.

Those look like good generators but they also weigh almost 100lbs. I wouldn't want to have to lift one of those in an out of the back of my pickup.

New tricks
Old 08-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #46
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by plocklin View Post
Those look like good generators but they also weigh almost 100lbs. I wouldn't want to have to lift one of those in an out of the back of my pickup.
Exactly, I'd love to get one and make things simple but it's not that I don't want to lift something like that into the back of the truck. I simply can't do it anymore! 🥵
Old 08-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #47
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Go to 2:32 in the video for a comparison. There is a BIG difference between 57dB and 68dB. Then decide which generator that guy parked next to you should buy!
Honda advertises their sound levels of their generators at 21 feet, 7 m.

Other generators are measured at 23-ft, not a big difference.

People need to understand what they're going to use the generator for, and where.

If you're going to be in a campground, maybe you should hook to shore power, not trying to be all that and a bag of chips.

If you're out in the boonies and there's nobody else around, there's only you to complain. Do whatever you feel happy with.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #48
duh1

I tried running the a.c. In our 2910by keyston e passport and anything smaller than a 3500 inverter.failed. Happy with the champion 3500 ,others would start it, would run, but not restart when the thermostate shut off the system. I'm running at 8000 ft.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #49
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh1 View Post
I tried running the a.c. In our 2910by keyston e passport and anything smaller than a 3500 inverter.failed. Happy with the champion 3500 ,others would start it, would run, but not restart when the thermostate shut off the system. I'm running at 8000 ft.
I hear what you're saying, and I know where you're coming from. Got to have a minimum 3500 watts to run continuously without destroying the generator.

Many people don't realize there's a heat limiter on some of these generators that will cut out during running conditions due to overload. Has nothing to do with the spike when the rotor locks on the compressor. It has to do with the full-time running characteristics and the heat build-up.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #50
Daryles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Excellent video. That's what I'm talking about, a side by side test. Thanks 😊
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter