Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2019, 05:58 AM   #1
daveinaz

Recommended glue for cracked kitchen sink cover

The slide outs were closed so I crawled over the kitchen counter to get into the living room. I put too much weight on the cover that goes over the kitchen sink and cracked it. Just wondering what glue you recommend to repair it.

Thanks!
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
Laredo Tugger

Not sure what material the sink cover is made of but a clear super glue product should work. A couple of clamps will ensure the pieces get together correctly.
You might consider finding or making a cutting board that is over-sized for the opening and custom cut it to fit. Use the broken cover as a template,cut and sand to fit.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure how "cracked" the cover is. If it is a little split it may be difficult to get anything into the crack unless you open it up before inserting the glue as Laredo recommended. If it is a larger crack, depending on the material, I'm pretty partial to epoxy products. Find a clear one for your particular application. Going forward you might want to open the slide a bit or make a cover for the sink covers that would overlay them and take the weight off them if you are going to be climbing over the countertop.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
daveinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm not sure how "cracked" the cover is. If it is a little split it may be difficult to get anything into the crack unless you open it up before inserting the glue as Laredo recommended. If it is a larger crack, depending on the material, I'm pretty partial to epoxy products. Find a clear one for your particular application. Going forward you might want to open the slide a bit or make a cover for the sink covers that would overlay them and take the weight off them if you are going to be climbing over the countertop.
Yes, that's part of the problem. The cover split from one edge -- from the outside of curved part in toward the middle. Being as how it is only split, I am not sure how to get any type of glue or adhesive in-between the split to glue it. That's why I'm debating just taking something thin like super glue and see if it'll run down in there enough to stabilize it.

I'd normally open the slides, but they are currently not working pending the arrival of my new hydraulic hose.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
Yes, that's part of the problem. The cover split from one edge -- from the outside of curved part in toward the middle. Being as how it is only split, I am not sure how to get any type of glue or adhesive in-between the split to glue it. That's why I'm debating just taking something thin like super glue and see if it'll run down in there enough to stabilize it.

I'd normally open the slides, but they are currently not working pending the arrival of my new hydraulic hose.
If possible, you might have a 2nd pair of hands stress the crack enough to open it then run a thin bead of super glue. Try to "push" some into the opened crack, clamp it together (bar clamp?) and wipe off excess. Maybe that would be enough to stabilize/strengthen it.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
Wxman

Wicking cyanoacrylate. If not at the big box store then a local hobby store will probably have it.

Good luck
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman View Post
Wicking cyanoacrylate. If not at the big box store then a local hobby store will probably have it.

Good luck
I've never used the above - that I know of. Sounds much like super glue and comes in various formulations as well from what I can see. Here is a link for the OP to look into the product.

https://www.permabond.com/products/c...ate-adhesives/
Old 01-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm just "thinking out loud" here. I don't know what material your sink cover is made of, but if it's a solid surface "matching sink cover" you might want to contact a "kitchen remodeling/countertop installation business. Most solid surface countertops are glued together and then sanded/resurfaced to a polished finish. It would be very easy for anyone familiar with that process to make an "invisible repair" for you....

On the other hand, if you've got the "cheaper plastic sink covers" then it might be in your interest to just buy a new one. I don't know of many adhesives that will hold plastic together, especially in the wet environment found in an RV kitchen. If this is the kind of sink covers you have, you can buy replacements at Camping World for not much more than the cost of a "specialty adhesive" to repair the broken one. https://www.campingworld.com/one-pie...iABEgIP6vD_BwE

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
Andymil

CA (cyanoacrylate adhesive) is “super glue”. A thin CA should wick into the crack. Depending on what kind of plastic it is, it may be hard to remove any excess that squeezes out. It will dissolve some types of plastic.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, rack, sink