Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Richeyb

Window shade ops

I just bought a 2017 Keystone Montana High County and think we’ll love it, great layout. However I’m trying to lower window shades in the front living room and I’m unable to pull down the large window shades. My pile of manuals talks about power shades, if equipped. I have no control and there are no buttons to push but I’m afraid to pull the shade too hard.... any ideas on how to operate them??? Manual does not talk of a manual override...?
Richeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. A couple of photos of the shades that are installed in your RV would help anyone offer the right advice. If there is a manual shade in the "standard package" and a electric/power shade in an "optional package" then none of us would know what's in your RV. Seeing what you have will help identify what's installed and "narrow the guessing" on suggestions.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Richeyb

Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Welcome to the forum. A couple of photos of the shades that are installed in your RV would help anyone offer the right advice. If there is a manual shade in the "standard package" and a electric/power shade in an "optional package" then none of us would know what's in your RV. Seeing what you have will help identify what's installed and "narrow the guessing" on suggestions.
I added pictures of my shade on my profile for public, but wasn’t sure how to put them in a thread....
Old 09-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Richeyb

Working

Talked with MCD Shades technician, Mike and he suggested that I give the bar a quick jerk, not a hard pull but a jerk and that should release the stop.

I tried it an it worked. The slow hard pull did not release them and I didn't want to keep pulling.... The jerk did the trick.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:45 AM   #5
ChuckS

Also with the pull down MCD shades when you are traveling put the shades all the way up.. there is a small plastic wheel inside that will wear off the plastic tips used to hold shade in place if you leave shades down while in motion. This suggestion can directly from MCD shades 4 years ago when one of my shades would not retract
And hold position anymore.

It can be repairered using a soldering iron to melt the plastic stop wheel and form 3 ridges on the heel to hold shade in place. So just out all shades up on days you are traveling.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:51 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richeyb View Post
I added pictures of my shade on my profile for public, but wasn’t sure how to put them in a thread....
When composing just click on the attachment icon (paperclip) and attach the file of the picture. It will embed the picture even though it appears to only be an attachment. Hope that helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Also with the pull down MCD shades when you are traveling put the shades all the way up.. there is a small plastic wheel inside that will wear off the plastic tips used to hold shade in place if you leave shades down while in motion. This suggestion can directly from MCD shades 4 years ago when one of my shades would not retract

It can be repairered using a soldering iron to melt the plastic stop wheel and form 3 ridges on the heel to hold shade in place. So just out all shades up on days you are traveling.
Agree, travel with them up! The first bump you hit they'll roll themselves up anyway!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
Richeyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

Thank you ChuckS, zhood info!