Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
msubobcats

Question regarding our Garmin...

Just a quick (hopefully) question on our Garmin. Wondering if others have the same "issues".. Not sure of the model as it is in the truck.It will take us through residential areas, not staying on the standard surface streets. An example, on our trip to Idaho on 97 through I believe Terrebone it tells us to take the right on 3rd. Just to see where it is taking us we did. After maybe five blocks it brought us right back into 97... We only had it on at this time to take us to the next rv park.
The directions are pretty good. It gets us from point A to point B but does it in the strangest ways. Doesn't seem to be settings to stay on hiways only; looks like less miles, shortest time and least fuel...
Thanks...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
Tbos

I've seen other GPS do the same thing because it thinks the turns are worth the 3 seconds it may cut off the trip.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
SummitPond

Ditto what Tbos says. ^^^^

We've had Garmin, Magellan and built-ins all do the same thing. One even took us on a legitimate road through a corn field in rural PA instead of going up to the corner on a paved road; saved maybe 100 yards. Most GPS have a preview function where you can see the route it is taking you (with spelled out turn instructions). We almost always spot check that to see if there's silliness like what you described going on, and the either ignore those instructions or lock them out and the GPS will accommodate with the slightly longer but better directions.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
bobbecky

We usually depend on the GPS we have, and at times supplemented with our phones, but you can't beat having an old fashioned paper map to get you to the proper location. We were just in Winnemucca, NV, heading to one of the three RV parks. Our, supposedly, good RV GPS took us off the highway, right into a residential area, clear across town from where the RV parks are located. We've been in some of the weirdest places using these GPS devices, and it makes you wonder who did the programing that is installed in them. It's just fortunate that I am pretty good at backing our 40 foot fifth wheel, because we have been into deadend streets and other places where there is no turn around.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Bostongone

Had the misfortune of not programming my options correctly and ended up on a narrow dirt road and across a minimal width bridge! Made sure to check off Unpaved Roads under Avoidances under Navigation as well as U-Turns, Ferries and Carpool Lanes. Might have missed the carpool lanes and upaved roads as you had to scroll down to see them? Also under Route Preference make sure Off Road is not selected! This is on a Garmin nuvi portable.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
theallde

My Rand McNally (RVND 7725) has the option for car or RV (you enter the type of RV, length, etc.) plus other options bridges, tolls, tunnels, etc. which helps.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
CaptnJohn

As close to perfect as I've found ~~ Garmin RV 760 LMT.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:40 AM   #8
notanlines

We also use the 760 LMT, but I've found that the maps app on my iphone works very, very well as of late and is a great backup to make sure I don't head down any dead end streets.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:25 AM   #9
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
As close to perfect as I've found ~~ Garmin RV 760 LMT.
I agree with CaptnJohn. I also have the Garmin RV 760LMT. My biggest worry has always been low bridges. This Garmin gives me a comfort level.
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #10
BuxCamper

I have Tom Tom and Garmin regular GPS'. I find the Garmin is far more agressive at saving time as compared to the TomTom. If TomTom hadnt broken their map update and taken 6 months to fix it I would still be using it.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:33 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
Just a quick (hopefully) question on our Garmin. Wondering if others have the same "issues".. Not sure of the model as it is in the truck.It will take us through residential areas, not staying on the standard surface streets. An example, on our trip to Idaho on 97 through I believe Terrebone it tells us to take the right on 3rd. Just to see where it is taking us we did. After maybe five blocks it brought us right back into 97... We only had it on at this time to take us to the next rv park.
The directions are pretty good. It gets us from point A to point B but does it in the strangest ways. Doesn't seem to be settings to stay on hiways only; looks like less miles, shortest time and least fuel...
Thanks...
If your GPS is a Garmin RV 760LMT then it sounds like you need to go thru the setup and set your parameters and preferences. With our setup, 41' trailer ball to rear bumper spare, and 19' of truck, the GPS has made travel easier buy not routing me on tight turns and switchbacks. That GPS also has height restrictions, propane restrictions, length weight and width restrictions that will route you away from those issues. Link it to the phone via Bluetooth and the Garmin smartphone link will add live traffic and weather alerts
Before the Garmin had a Magellan RV GPS and it was awful, my opinion.
Always check a map before setting out.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:15 AM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Yeap been there with the Magellan RV, although it makes a descent wheel chock.

I am sure we all have our "reached your destination stories" Still remember one of my better favorites, GPS announced destination reached, look around only to see we are in a residential area with people cutting their front yards. I am sure wondering what the He.. is that big thing doing here Believe me feelings were mutual. Found out campsite was on the opposite side of town

GPS devices were designed to drive us nuts
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Yeap been there with the Magellan RV, although it makes a descent wheel chock.

I am sure we all have our "reached your destination stories" Still remember one of my better favorites, GPS announced destination reached, look around only to see we are in a residential area with people cutting their front yards. I am sure wondering what the He.. is that big thing doing here Believe me feelings were mutual. Found out campsite was on the opposite side of town

GPS devices were designed to drive us nuts [emoji144]
Magellan RV GPS is junk... only GPS that I've owned that I could outrun on a constant basis...

Javi
Old 09-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
Desert185

If I were to buy an RV GPS I would buy Garmin. They all have their limitations, but Garmin seems to be the best of the bunch. I've used their different products in aviation for a long time. Some portables also have an automotive mode.

Currently, I just use Waze or Google Maps, but you have to be careful in urban or suburban environments, whatever you're using, or you'll find yourself on narrow backstreets to avoid traffic congestion, which is good when driving a rental econobox (hate those little things).
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #15
Dave W

I believe we currently have 4 Garmin GPS, none of which is perfect --- especially if you don't choose the right nav options. Last week, just because I forgot to turn the 760 LMT to passenger car when going to the store near our Littleton, NH, CG, it sent me 10 miles North so I could turn on a different road to back track those 10 miles plus the actual 2.7 miles to the store. The road from the store back to the CG was one of those that the GPS announced that it really wasn't sure of the ability for a 13'+ tall RV to travel. It was fine but the GPS wouldn't say so. Then there was that trip from near Portland ME to that CG near Littleton. Samantha (the lady inside my GPS) changed my route overnight to the one I really wanted vs how she plotted it when I told her where I wanted to go - amazing lady. Read my mind The joys of touring with electronics. I still use a paper map if for no other reason but to check our route.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote