Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Luv2Kamp

Dimming LED lights

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while now. We purchased a 2018 Laredo 330RL and love almost everything about it. One item I would really like to change is the brightness of the awning, front cap and interior lights. The front cap lights are so bright that I would never use them out of respect of my neighbors. And when I sit out under my awning at night, I like a soft glow....I don't want to feel like I am being interrogated.

And the main interior lights are way too bright as well.

Does anyone have a link to dimmers they could share?

Thanks in advance.
Luv2Kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
MegaRam

I installed one of these for my front cap light. It works really well. Should work for your awning light too. You can take it out of the plastic case for custom mounting.

Leegoal LEDwholesalers LED Strip Lights PWM Dimming Controller For LED Lights or Ribbon, 12 Volt 8/10 Amp, 3301 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L4KKF2..._YppuzOcmkDiXw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
MegaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Kamp View Post
The front cap lights are so bright that I would never use them out of respect of my neighbors.
Thanks, we appreciate that, let me tell you! A recent trip to a KOA in Michigan landed us across the aisle from a large, new 5th wheel. As obnoxious as can be, the owner kept his cap and underbelly overly bright LED lights on each night he was there. We moved to a new campsite after the first night as we were promised a premium patio upon booking.

As far as I know, many LED light strips and fixtures do not support a 12 volt dimmer. You'd have to make sure your LED's are "dimmer friendly". Chances are, they're not.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:34 AM   #4
Olsen29

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Thanks, we appreciate that, let me tell you! A recent trip to a KOA in Michigan landed us across the aisle from a large, new 5th wheel. As obnoxious as can be, the owner kept his cap and underbelly overly bright LED lights on each night he was there. We moved to a new campsite after the first night as we were promised a premium patio upon booking.

As far as I know, many LED light strips and fixtures do not support a 12 volt dimmer. You'd have to make sure your LED's are "dimmer friendly". Chances are, they're not.
I believe it is easier to dim 12v led than 110.
I have not found a dimmer for 12v that didn't work. I used one of these inside for the ceiling.
Wall-mounted Glass Touch Panel LED Dimmer Switch Brightness Controller DC 12-24V for Single Color LED Strip Light Lamp-Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S803IDU..._xbmHxDhXR9Irv
Works great. I have a thread with upgrades and mods that I made.
I added the brightest led strip I could find to the outside of the slide because the awning covers the led there. I put one of these dinners on it.
RGBZONE 2 Pack 11-key RF Mini Wireless Remote Controller with DC Connector for Single Color 3528 5050 LED Strip Lights https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HM8AJMQ..._hIwPzbCZA55E6.
Best of both worlds. plugs right in to the connector on the lights.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
Luv2Kamp

Thanks!!

Thanks BusterB and Olsen. I will be checking in to both of these. I like the looks of the one you posted Olsen, looks almost factory installed.
Luv2Kamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light, lights