Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #1
micktaylor

Smile Rear tire pressure

When towing a fifth wheel trailer should I increase my rear tire pressure and if so by how much? My 5th wheel is a 2007 Cougar model 276RLS towed with a 2012 Ford F150 Eco-boost. Thanks
micktaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
cblong

open your drivers door on the door jam there should be a sticker that says tire pressure and loading information. inflate to those pressures I put a picture of mine so you can see what it looks like. don't use my pressures on my sticker I have a 350 but your sticker should look the same just different numbers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0683.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	8065  

Cougar High country 330 RBK
2014 F350 6.7 CC DRW
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax CCSB SOLD
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
buzzcop63

You might want to search this question as their are many comments on what others do for tire pressure settings when TV is loaded. The sticker on the door gives the best setting for tire pressure for general usage, fuel and occupants. If you look on the side of the tire it will give you the max PSI and weight the tire is designed to carry. When loading the truck for towing or carry heavy weight I have been advised by truck dealer and RV dealer to run the rear tire up to maximum PSI and if the front of the truck has increased weight on the tires to put them up as well. Low PSI when truck is carrying weight causes heat and can lead to tire failure.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

x2 on the max air. The door sticker is generally a pressure that takes into account normal load and comfort - except on my new Dodge 2500. Rear on the sticker is 80psi - the max for the rear tires.

The max pressure on the side of the tire is recommended for "max" loading of the tire - which you will probably be close to with the weight of the trailer hitch. With a loaded trailer and truck you probably want to be somewhere near the max pressure on the truck AND trailer tires to ward off any unexpected surprises.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
CWtheMan

Your owners manual will tell you what is recommended by it's manufacturer.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
micktaylor

Rear tire pressure

Many thanks for the replies to my question. Will go for max pressure as listed on tire wall. Mick ex Royal Navy.
micktaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
bsmith0404

I personally started with max air pressure for the tire, then watched the wear pattern. If I was getting a lot of center wear, I drop the pressure a bit. do the same with the front tires. The best thing for your tires for wear and for you for control is proper pressure for the load that is on them. Full and even contact across the entire tread pattern is the best for both

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:48 PM   #8
Dave-Gray

Interesting. Not one person mentioned that the best way to know just how much PSI is needed any tire, is to know the weight that the tire is carrying. All tire manufacturers provide tire inflation charts based on the weight it is carrying. To correctly use these charts, one must weigh their rig--tow vehicle with the trailer attached.

Step 5 at Fifth Wheel St. has the tire charts available for most tires. If one is not sure how to weigh the rig, FWS has a simplified 4-step plan to walk one through it.

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
SOB: 09 Toy Hauler with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box.
Dave-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Gray View Post
Interesting. Not one person mentioned that the best way to know just how much PSI is needed any tire, is to know the weight that the tire is carrying. All tire manufacturers provide tire inflation charts based on the weight it is carrying. To correctly use these charts, one must weigh their rig--tow vehicle with the trailer attached.

Step 5 at Fifth Wheel St. has the tire charts available for most tires. If one is not sure how to weigh the rig, FWS has a simplified 4-step plan to walk one through it.
I agree completely !!! As an example, my 1972 Dodge owner's manual had a tire inflation chart in the towing/hauling section of the book. It listed weights on the tires and recommended PSI for the load. (That was for the recommended tire size). There was a note that if larger tires were installed, to use the tire manufacturers recommendations for inflation/load.

I think that as a part of the "dummy down" concept, those charts have more or less disappeared and the automobile manufacturers are just making one recommendation, sort of a "one size fits all" approach. Much simpler for a "busy owner" to comprehend and much less potential to "confuse the public with facts" that could lead to litigation.

I think (JMHO) that it's a shame we've "simplified things" to the point that we either don't know, can't find the info, or believe that since "they didn't tell us, it's not important"........

Sometimes, we turn out to be our "own worst enemy" when we take things at "face value"....................

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree completely !!! As an example, my 1972 Dodge owner's manual had a tire inflation chart in the towing/hauling section of the book. It listed weights on the tires and recommended PSI for the load. (That was for the recommended tire size). There was a note that if larger tires were installed, to use the tire manufacturers recommendations for inflation/load.

I think that as a part of the "dummy down" concept, those charts have more or less disappeared and the automobile manufacturers are just making one recommendation, sort of a "one size fits all" approach. Much simpler for a "busy owner" to comprehend and much less potential to "confuse the public with facts" that could lead to litigation.

I think (JMHO) that it's a shame we've "simplified things" to the point that we either don't know, can't find the info, or believe that since "they didn't tell us, it's not important"........

Sometimes, we turn out to be our "own worst enemy" when we take things at "face value"....................
X3 Weigh and inflate according! I carry about 5,500# on the rear axle loaded, the two tires are rated for 6,830# at 80 psi so I run about 65# loaded.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
CWtheMan

Quote:

Inflation Pressure
Always determine correct tire inflation pressure based on actual loads on the tires. Use the tiremakers’ recommendations (which you will find in load and inflation tables). Never use inflation pressures lower than those printed on the vehicle placard.”

I often refer to the above quote from the link below. Most other tire manufacturers omit the vehicle placard information. It’s best to remember that the vehicle manufacturer is solely responsible for setting recommended tire inflation pressures - all vehicles.

Ask yourself this question; Without a valid recommended tire inflation pressure how would one know when a tire or tires are at the critical 80% of required inflation needed to prevent a “run flat” condition?

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf

CW
Old 04-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
Dave-Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Inflation Pressure
Always determine correct tire inflation pressure based on actual loads on the tires. Use the tiremakers’ recommendations (which you will find in load and inflation tables). Never use inflation pressures lower than those printed on the vehicle placard.”

I often refer to the above quote from the link below. Most other tire manufacturers omit the vehicle placard information. It’s best to remember that the vehicle manufacturer is solely responsible for setting recommended tire inflation pressures - all vehicles.

Ask yourself this question; Without a valid recommended tire inflation pressure how would one know when a tire or tires are at the critical 80% of required inflation needed to prevent a “run flat” condition?

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf

CW
For motorhomes and tow vehicles, one absolutely would be wise to use the actual tire load weight in determining the correct inflation pressure.

On the other hand, when it comes to multi-axle trailers, tires will last longer if the inflation pressure is inflated to the maximum allowable per the certification label or the max pressure molded on the tire's sidewall, providing the pressure does not exceed the rim rating. This is discussed well in Step 5 as mentioned above.

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
SOB: 09 Toy Hauler with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box.
Dave-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #13
CWtheMan

Quote:

For motorhomes and tow vehicles, one absolutely would be wise to use the actual tire load weight in determining the correct inflation pressure.
Provided the inflation pressure depicted on the tire placard is maintained.

The last answer in this reference refers to actual load weights. However, the whole reference is good information to know.

http://toyotires.com/sites/default/f...chbulletin.pdf

CW