Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
tonjab

Help GFCI outlets not working

2008 VR1

Last night during a rain storm we suddenly, for no apparent reason, lost power to a plug in living area. Checked and no power to GFCI reset plug in bathroom either. Also no power to two plugs in kitchen. I think all of the plugs say GFCI protected. Tried and tried to reset the GFCI button in bathroom but no luck. No fuses were blown either. We replaced the GFCI plug in the bathroom but still no luck on getting any of the outlets to work. Any ideas? I would love to hear any ideas. Thanks so much

Tonja
tonjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If it was raining, possibly you have an outside plug that is on that GFI circuit that got wet. Try a hair dryer on the outside plugs and see if maybe it will reset. If not that, maybe the plug at the shore cord is wet. It only takes a very little current leakage to cause the GFI to trip.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
GaryWT

Look for a second GFI outlet, many trailers have 2. Something got wet and if it is still wet then they will not reset.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Wally15

GFI's are on circuit breakers, not fuses. But the GFI would still reset if the breaker had tripped, so that's not the problem. I agree that the rain has somehow caused a ground fault somewhere. I'd also go with the hair dryer on the outside receptacles as a start point.
One other thing, try tripping one of the kitchen GFI's and then see if the bathroom one resets. Unlike most houses, these multiple GFI's are on the same circuit. If the bathroom still won't reset, the ground fault is likely somewhere downstream of the bathroom (away from the kitchen GFI's). Times like this, a wiring schematic would be priceless. That is probably my major peeve with ALL RV manufacturers. Thanks lawyers.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
BulletOwner1

Tonja,

Do you have something plugged into the outside receptacle on the RV? Those are also GFCI protected and maybe whatever is plugged in outside is your issue?

EDIT, oops, outside plug was already covered.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
jimni

I don't know how to generate a new message but I want to thank all of you for helping me out. I shorted out an appliance while plugged into the outside wall outlet under the awning. It is a GFCI plug. I tested all the 15 amp knife fuses and all were OK. The two kitchen plugs, the back bathroom plug and the outside plug did not work. All the breakers were OK. After reading the forum I found a GFCI plug in the main bathroom. I reset it and all now work OK. My fifth wheel is a Keystone Cougar 2011 324RBL.
jimni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:21 PM   #7
flookk

Sprinter 2007 274RLS

Adding this to assist any others looking for GFI reset outlet. Wall outlets on the awning side went out during a rain storm. Water was dripping down between the awning and the rain rail and right on to the outdoor outlet, of course! Outdoor, bathroom and kitchen outlets not working and couldn't find the one with the reset button. There is a fourth outlet behind the chair nearest the door right by the power distribution panel. This is where the reset button is.

Hope this helps someone else as I have gleaned a lot of good info from this forum.

Thanks to all contributors.
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:04 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally15 View Post
GFI's are on circuit breakers, not fuses. But the GFI would still reset if the breaker had tripped, so that's not the problem.
If the breaker that provides power to the GFCI circuit has tripped, the GFCI outlet WILL NOT reset. 110VAC has to be present at the line side of the outlet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical problem, gfci, outlets, power