Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
[TASF]Overkill

A note about freezer doors that "stick"

I had seen it discussed elsewhere (other forums)... Get your empty freezer really cold and then open the door for a second. Close it. Watch it get pulled tight against the freezer. Immediately try to open it. If you have good seals, you may find that your freezer door is STUCK! This was happening to me and I realized the cause...

When you open the door, all the cold air in your freezer dumps out. Since cold air is heavier than warm air, it's literally just like your freezer is full of water. Out it all spills! It is replaced with warm air. When you close the door, that warm air rapidly cools and contracts and voila, suction! The door on mine is actually IMPOSSIBLE to open after this happens. But after a few minutes, the slight leaks in the seal let the pressure relieve enough that I can open it.

It's weird, but a neat demo of how a stirling engine works. :-)

To prevent it, keep your freezer full, or when closing it, hold it just barely almost-but-not-quite closed for a second, and then let it close. This will let the air inside cool down before the seals have sealed, preventing a bit of the suction.
[TASF]Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
GaryWT

This happens with the freezer, fridge and outdoor kitchen in my rig. I use it as a reminder that I should not be opening the door that often and quick.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, freezer, sticking, stuck, won't open