Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
stcops

iRV6500BT(stereo/tv) Question

We have a iRV6500BT stereo/dvd unit in our new Bullet travel trailer. We notice that, even when powered off, the unit back lights and clock stay lit. TRhere is no ready access to the power cord so I,m thinking it is hardwired. It shuts down completely when we disconnect the battery, So here is what I would like to know-

When we park overnight and need the battery to run the propane for the fridge, will this stereo drain out our battery because it stays lit?

Thanks for any help!
stcops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The standby radio drain is not a problem for short periods like you mention. But when in storage for long term it is just one of the parasitic drains that must be eliminated. If you search or browse through some of the dead battery threads on the forum you will see how others have eliminated their problems. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
stcops

Thank you, Hank!
stcops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
{tpc}

I've had fairly good luck with the battery staying charged in storage for a period of a month or so, but longer than that, that blue light, and I think the propane detector? whatever that is called, drains enough to where I cannot operate the tongue jack. I plan on rectifying this next year with a switch. Was going to this year but never got around to it.

Then again about 12 things I never got around to doing with the trailer lol.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I've had fairly good luck with the battery staying charged in storage for a period of a month or so, but longer than that, that blue light, and I think the propane detector? whatever that is called, drains enough to where I cannot operate the tongue jack. I plan on rectifying this next year with a switch. Was going to this year but never got around to it.

Then again about 12 things I never got around to doing with the trailer lol.
That old "Round 2 it" gets me all the time also.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

stcops {tpc} -
When I winterize the RV and put it to bed, I pull the fuse for both the stereo and the detector. It's just the one fuse and it eliminates the parasitic drain when it is stored and unused.

I suppose you could install an ON/OFF switch on both the stereo and the detector but it is much faster and simpler to pull the fuse and come Spring, re-insert it.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:50 AM   #7
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
stcops {tpc} -
When I winterize the RV and put it to bed, I pull the fuse for both the stereo and the detector. It's just the one fuse and it eliminates the parasitic drain when it is stored and unused.

I suppose you could install an ON/OFF switch on both the stereo and the detector but it is much faster and simpler to pull the fuse and come Spring, re-insert it.
Thanks for the idea. I actually pulled the battery completely so I could take it home and put it on the battery tender for the winter months. This eases my mind somewhat as someone would have to get past the lock on the tongue, and then hook up a battery to try and haul away my trailer on me. Our storage place is pretty secure, but you can never be too safe.