Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
SkiSmuggs

Water smells

We took our fiver out for the first time last week and I had de-winterized a couple weeks before that by draining the small amount of anti-freeze out of the fresh tank, adding new and draining, then adding more and used the water pump to clear all faucets and toilet. I turned off the hot water tank bypass also.
We hooked to city water at our campsite and the water from the faucets had an odd chemical smell with a lot of spitting as air was flushed from the system. Hot water was actually cloudy and smelled stronger. Smell was still there after a couple of showers. I am guessing I should flush the hot water tank to get rid of sediment. Anything else I should do?
Edit: After reading a couple of water system maintenance articles, it looks like it is time to sanitize my system.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Jager

I ski smuggs actually. Small world.

Not sure why you have anti freeze in your fresh water tank? How in the world did it get in there? There should be a by pass on your water pump and when you winterize the camper you should feed anti freeze directly form the bottle into the water lines beyond the pump. I have never put anti freeze in my fresh water tank and would never advise doing that.

Also, just a guess but I'd say you didn't flush the lines enough when you de-winterized it. You shouldn't get much air and spitting in your faucets once you flush everything out. It certainly shouldn't continue for very long.

If you think the problem is the "city water" you can always just disconnect the water supply from the camper and turn it on. Put some in clean, clear glass and inspect it. Then taste it there and see if you still taste/smell chemicals there.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Ram189

I had that problem the first two times I had my trailer out. Both time boondocking do hard to do a good flush of the system.
We went to a campground this weekend with full hookups. I ran every tap in the trailer for like 5 minutes and let the hot water heater fill then drained it once and all the smell was gone.
Just needed a good flush of the system.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
spicercars

Some campers you have to put antifreeze in the tank to winterize them. Our copper canyon was that way until we put a kit on the water pump. Never leave antifreeze in the water tank as the plastic will absorb the antifreeze and that's where you get the smell from. The best way to get rid of it is to flush the entire system and then dump a gallon of apple juice in the tank with some water and run it threw the system and let it sit for a couple of days. Flush with fresh water. Works like a charm have done it many times.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
SkiSmuggs

The reason I put anti-freeze in the fresh water tank is that my water pump had an odd slider clip retainer that I couldn't figure out until I replaced it last week. I now have a ShurFlo with standard connection and will sip right from the jug this fall.
I have sanitized with Silicon Dichloride (1 tsp) and will flush well. Water smells like chlorine now. The new water pump is much quieter as well.