Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
billb800si

High Country GONE!!

Noticed that Keystone has pulled ALL the Cougar High Country trailers from their website. Shame it was a beautiful trailer. We would get compliments at every campground we visited.
Oh well.......

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

That's interesting. I guess Keystone has some "plans" they aren't talking about right now ????

When I was at the factory earlier this month, all the Cougar fifth wheels were being built with an electric leveling system. I asked if it was "standard equipment" and never got an answer, but I'd suppose it's an "extra price option".

Have you replaced your Cougar yet?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #3
Kristi

They now offer it as an upgrade package rather then it's own line.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Kristi,

They have done away with the entire Cougar travel trailer line... All they offer is the Cougar Half Ton (west coast) and Cougar XLite (east coast). Those have the High Country package available, but there is no "Cougar travel trailer" line any longer..... (just the Ultra-lite models).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
Kristi

Sorry, I didn't look at the travel trailers. Wonder why they kept the Montana high country, but on the Cougar made it a package option?

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd guess "marketing strategy". At Keystone, each brand has its own independent management team to make decisions. What's done at one brand isn't necessarily done (or even considered) by other division management. I suppose Cougar management has some plans to revamp the Half Ton and XLite models and incorporate the "good parts" of the original Cougar and eliminate some of the "issues" that the "heavy model" had ???

As to why Montana/Mountaineer didn't follow suit? They are a separate section of Keystone with their own managers who determine how to market their products. Apparently they didn't see dropping a model lineup as an option for the way their future plans are headed ???

Who knows what happens in "closed door lunchtime" executive meetings......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Bit'n'Goldie

Thumbs up New 2015 Cougar High Country

Good Morning,
We just purchased our new 2015 Cougar High Country 5th Wheel (333MKS) this week. The leveling system is not listed as an option on the High Country package. We were told by the dealer it is standard equipment now on the Cougars. In the High Country Package ($3,263) the list includes: High Gloss Clay Medallion Exterior, Frameless Windows, Keyless Entry, Premium Leather Furniture, Max Air Vent Fan with remote and rain sensor, and Weber Grill.
We're looking forward to our first trip and hoping nothing but good times ahead in our new 5er. It's a beauty.
Bit'n'Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:08 AM   #8
schrod
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
Noticed that Keystone has pulled ALL the Cougar High Country trailers from their website. Shame it was a beautiful trailer. We would get compliments at every campground we visited.
Oh well.......
Yes, beautiful trailer but very cheaply made! I had a 2006 Montana Mountaineer and it was super trailer. Traded it for the 2013 Cougar High Country 321RES and what a mistake! The 2006 had real wood trim around the doors and real wood doors. The 2013 has the fake paper covered trim and paper covered doors just like that crappy assemble yourself wood furniture that the discount stores sell.
Just found out this spring when I had the bed slide-out out that the bottom of it is all broken up. Cheap plastic. Showed it to the service manager at my dealership and he said it was the 3rd one he had seen this spring. Keystone won't stand behind it as it is over 1 year old. Also the bedroom ceiling light has quit again after already being fixed by the dealer once on warranty. I asked about the extended warranty covering it as he had said it was a 600 dollar repair cost. No, he said the extended warranty only covers mechanical items. Well I said a lot of nasty words and he said they would take care of it. We will see. I will NOT ever buy another Keystone product. Their quality has dropped like a rock. A 45,000 dollar trailer just a little over a year old. Junk is what Keystone is selling now.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:55 AM   #9
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Yes, beautiful trailer but very cheaply made! I had a 2006 Montana Mountaineer and it was super trailer. Traded it for the 2013 Cougar High Country 321RES and what a mistake! ........ ..... I will NOT ever buy another Keystone product. Their quality has dropped like a rock. A 45,000 dollar trailer just a little over a year old. Junk is what Keystone is selling now.
========================

Sorry to hear you're having such bad luck with your trailer. My wife & I were both very impressed with the quality of our 2014 321RES. She remarked several times about the quality compared to our 2007 Jayco Eagle we had. She said she never wanted another Jayco.
When we flipped our 321RES over on I-75 last February I was impressed with the solid construction. Yes the trailer was totaled but the walls etc held up.
If you paid $45,000 for your 321RES you paid about $17,000 too much. We paid just under $28,000 with every option included for our 2014 model.
Good luck with whatever you choose in the future.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
Old 06-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #10
schrod
Permanent User Ban

I did not say I paid 45,000. That is the approximate retail price. When you say you bought yours with every option included, just what does that mean? As to your giving 28,000 for yours I have to assume that was after your trade allowance so you really got no better deal than I.
I have made the deal and traded for a luxurious 2015 Blackstone 280RKSB. Good to go to 10 below. Seriously, it is made for use to that cold a temperature as these units are made for winter use! Now that is a well built quality unit.

Just why did your trailer flip and were you injured? I sincerely hope you came out of this only shaken up and unharmed!
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:32 AM   #11
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I did not say I paid 45,000. That is the approximate retail price. When you say you bought yours with every option included, just what does that mean? As to your giving 28,000 for yours I have to assume that was after your trade allowance so you really got no better deal than I.
I have made the deal and traded for a luxurious 2015 Blackstone 280RKSB. Good to go to 10 below. Seriously, it is made for use to that cold a temperature as these units are made for winter use! Now that is a well built quality unit.Just why did your trailer flip and were you injured? I sincerely hope you came out of this only shaken up and unharmed!
======================

Then I would suggest in the future you stipulate that it is the MSRP not the price you paid for it. No it wasn't after the trade in allowance.
In fact I still have a copy of the quote from Lakeshore Rv in Muskegon, Michigan dated Feb. 27, 2014 for a 2014 Cougar HC 321RES with free standing dinette- sofa bed and chairs (all the rest is now standard equipment) for $27,400.00. That was per their salesman Steve Schuitema.

I think you are now comparing two completely different trailers. Your Blackstone is not a 3 slide trailer, not does the bed slide out, plus you now have a rear kitchen and you don't have opposing slides in the living area. All together different trailer.
Thank you for your kind closing remarks about our accident. My wife was banged up & bruised but we are okay. The truck & trailer were a complete loss. This all was due to "black ice" in highway I-75. There were 8 accidents within one mile of us that day.
My advice-- NEVER EVER pull an RV in snow/ ice conditions.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES