Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
bigj3234

Looking at the Hideout

My wife and I went camper shopping (this will be our first) the other day, and narrowed it down to two models. We had decided to go with a used one, but ended up changing our minds because we had thought there would be a 90 day warranty, but found out at the very end of the day's process that this was not the case.

This basically had us switching to the Hideout 260LHS, which is very reasonably priced, and has all necessities, fits everyone (plus the dogs), and is comfortably under my Tundra's maximum weight ratings.

However, later Saturday night we went to a graduation party where we talked to various friends that have campers, and they were all adamant that we should get a camper with a slide. The dealer suggested the 280LHS, which is essentially the same floor plan, plus a slide and close enough to our original budget that we can still afford it. So, of course, now we have no clue what to do.

Does anyone here have experience with either model? I noticed a couple threads on here stating that the Hideout is the entry level model, but not much else about it.
bigj3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

We had a fifthwheel without a slide for twelve years and enjoyed it. Then we bought one with a slide ... what a difference in living space. If you look at the 268LHS you will see very little if any weight differences but the open area with the slide extended and a roomier bathroom would be a selling point for me. The outside kitchen is a nice plus also. I have no clue as to how it will fit your budget but it may be worth a few more bucks to be happy. That extra space will pay for itself the first rainy day spent camping with kids and a dog. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

First, having a slide makes a significant difference in the additional space and roominess that results when it is extended. In addition, if and when it comes time to sell it, having a slide is almost a necessity that people look for when buying.

Secondly, other than some differences in upholstery, counter tops and other similar furnishings, there isn't any significant difference in the quality of the Hideout verses another similar TT. The exterior is aluminum siding as opposed to fiberglass and I believe wooden studs and framing are used instead of aluminum as well.

There isn't any difference in the build quality that goes into one model over another. They all roll off the assembly line at the same rate - one doesn't get any more TLC than the other.

If you going to a larger Hideout, just make sure that you are still within the towing capacity of the Tundra. You may have to rework the numbers and see how they fit.

And welcome to the forum, BTW.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
murphysranch

We have the 2014 Hideout 24RLSWE and have used it 2x. It has the slide where the dinette is located. After both trips, we've decided its too small. Its now going up for sale and yes, we'll take a loss on it. Its just hubby and I and two 45 lb dogs. Make sure its large enough for you.
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
HappyCamperMN

Having used the outdoor kitchen in our new trailer last weekend. I'd probably vote for the 268 as well. Of course everyone needs to make their own decisions on what features are important.

IMO outdoor kitchens will become a "must have" feature in the next 2-5 years, just like slides have become.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
bigj3234

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We thought about the outside kitchen, and I doubt we will opt for that. Our biggest concern is living space when it's raining out.

That said, the only other thing that really worries me is the length. I have towed horse trailers and utility trailers, but never a 30+ foot camper. I know everything we have looked at is well within weight limits, but not sure how I feel about such a big trailer.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
austinp

We have a 2014 28BHSWE it's very roomy with the living room slide out. About 6600 lbs. Dry weight. Two full size rear bunks. Works for us and we tow with a F150 Ecoboost.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
fla-gypsy

I have owned a Hornet (forerunner of the Hideout) for going on 9 years and it has served me very well. They don't have a lot of fluff but the chassis is usually pretty stout and they are priced very reasonable. Can't help on floorplan, that's your call.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Mark TC

I had a 2013 Hideout took it back to have serviced under warranty and trader it for a 2014 Outback. The Hideout was a great camper just wanted more room and fiberglass siding. Lot easier to clean and wax. Here is a pic of both

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1400743531.338958.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	6067  
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:43 AM   #10
GaryWT

If you can go with the open floor plan as without a slide, if someone is doing stuff in the kitchen and others are going from the couch to te bathroom, it will be tight and get old fast. Watch your payload, the 280 is going to be up over 1000 pounds of hitch weight. Good luck
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #11
bigj3234

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
If you can go with the open floor plan as without a slide, if someone is doing stuff in the kitchen and others are going from the couch to te bathroom, it will be tight and get old fast. Watch your payload, the 280 is going to be up over 1000 pounds of hitch weight. Good luck
Yeah, I started paying closer attention to the hitch weight. My TV can definitely handle the max loaded weight of the trailer, but the payload rating will be tight.

I have actually started looking at the Passport Grand Touring 2920BH. We like the floor plan better, and I like the weights better (same length as the 280LHS but about 1k lighter). More expensive though. Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
dandjh1958

My husband fell in love with our 24RLSWE Hideout because of the big back window. He loves sitting in his rocker and watching the wildlife go by. For just the two of us and a small cat, it's more than enough. If you have big animals, it might be too small.
Good luck and happy camping with whichever rig you pick.
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #13
GaryWT

Just make sure you are having fun looking. I towed my current trailer and one similar for 3 years with a F150. It did fine and would do it again if I had to but the F350 is great. My trailer is 6,400 empty, 8,000 if loaded. Since run with the tanks empty I am somewhere under that. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote