Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
fishbum

Looking to buy the Springdale 189flwe

Hi again. I'm still a bit trigger shy on buying the Springdale 189flwe ( tv 02 chevy 2500hd) . As of now I have a small family and this will be my first tt . Im new to the rv world and also want to make sure im not getting screwed at the dealer I want to buy from . Anybody familiar with Russ in Pasco wa . The asking price is 13k.
It's one of there least expensive tt. Is the quality still there or do you really get what you pay for . I don't mind going a bit more expensive , but i don't want to spend more then i need . I think the space and all the amenities are there for my small family . Can you guys please give me some feedback
fishbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

fishbum -
While the Sprindale falls into the "entry level" TT, there aren't many differences between that and the "premium" models regarding the quality of build. They all roll off the assembly line, have the same guys working on both levels and one doesn't get any more TLC than the other.
You will have noticed that there are differences in the exterior - having aluminum siding as opposed to fiberglass and some of the interior amenities. Plain arborite countertops compared to Corian, "cheaper" upholstery and a few other items. You may have fewer options from which to choose. Otherwise, the basics are pretty much the same.

If you are concerned about the dealer "screwing you", you could always ask for the names of previous customers (references), phone them up and ask for their opinions and experiences with this particular dealership. If you aren't comfortable or get a bad feeling about them, there are probably numerous other RV dealers in the Tri-Cities areas from which to choose.

When you come to the point of buying, there is a Pre-Delivery Inspection checklist for you here on the forum. Go to the Keystone Questions section and look for the PDI Sticky at the top of the thread page. Many of our members have used it and found it helpful.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We had a Springdale fifth wheel that just recently got traded on a larger trailer. Springdale, as you probably know, is an "entry level" trailer and doesn't have many of the "plush options" or "bells and whistles" that some of the more expensive models have. Essentially, Springdale, unlike other entry level models, installs the "upgraded appliances" and a TV. They don't have a DVD player in the "standard models" only in the SSR models.

It is a wooden frame/wooden floor/wooden rafter RV. Both aluminum and wooden frame models have their advantages and disadvantages, and in the end, both are good building methods that produce a reliable product.

One of the disadvantages of most any entry level RV is the cushions and upholstery/carpeting is less expensive and thinner. So your mattresses will be something you'll learn very quickly to "hate". There are work arounds with mattress toppers, foam replacements or other options.

One "nice feature" for reliability and durability is that Springdale still installs a manual side awning. It may be a bit more "hassle" to use, but not nearly as subject to damage from high winds.

There is no slide on the 189FLWE, so you'll have the "narrow spaced axles" which may mean slightly more sway, but with a 3/4 ton truck, that shouldn't be an issue if you're using a quality hitch.

Unlike some more expensive models, there is only one gray water holding tank, so even though you've got 60 gallons of water, you can only store 30 gallons of sink/bath water. There also is a 30 gallon black tank for the toilet. We never had an issue with the tank sizes, we simply used a "blue tote" as our second tank and always had room for our sink/shower water.

My "opinion" of the Springdale we had was good. We enjoyed it, never had any problems with it, would buy one again if we were in the market for that type RV. It's basic, some may find that "lacking in features" but on the other hand, when camping, simple things tend to be more reliable than complex things, so we found that for us, it worked well and was a reliable, well built RV.

I found several for sale on the internet with prices ranging from $12,995 to $15,995. So, if the $13K price is the "bottom line" it's an excellent price, and even if it's the price before delivery, prep, taxes, etc, it's even better. But, I'd advise you to do "due diligence" and verify for yourself by checking pricing and offerings around your area.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
fishbum

You guys are awesome. I just went earlier to 2 more dealers. Took a look at a forest river which seemed really cheap. Second I looked at an outdoors rv black rock with the winter package , fancy wheels , sits higher , aluminum frame, asking 17,999 although seemed to be built as good as the Springdale . I don't think I need the winter package sense I don't believe I will be doing any camping in the winter. The Springdale has the electric awning and real wood cabinets glued and screwed not stapled . I appreciate you help extremely appreciated . I don't think as a first timer I can go wrong with the Springdale .
Old 04-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

fishbum -
Since this Springdale is your first RV, getting an "entry level" model may not be such a bad idea. Firstly, The one you are considering is quite small and your present TV will handle it quite nicely. Secondly, it won't cost you and arm and a leg and finally, this relatively small and inexpensive unit will give you a flavor of what RVing is like. If it isn't to your liking, and decide to sell it, you won't be out a lot. All in all, I think you've chosen a realistic and sensible way to start out.

Let us know if you end up with the Springdale.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
fishbum

You guys are awesomeness ...I'm gonna go close a deal thx again.....
Old 04-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Congratulations on your decision. I hope you and your family enjoy your new RV as much as almost all of our members enjoy theirs. There is something special about being away from the hustle and stresses of everyday life and an RV is an excellent way to escape to a simpler place and build quality family time. It's special and something that can help bring to your family memories that last a lifetime. (I know, sounds like a commercial, but it's true)

If you go to the Keystone Questions section, you'll find a sticky that is a Pre Delivery Inspection checklist. Here's the link: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

I'd suggest you check it out, maybe print it out and use it when you pick up your new Springdale. You'll find it covers nearly everything in your trailer and will help guide you though the acceptance without missing anything important. Knowing that you've checked everything will help you build confidence that your new investment is what you hoped it would be.

Again, congratulations and keep us posted on how things go with your new life experience.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
theeyres

I think Springdale's are an excellent choice. We had one and loved it. When we got off the road from full-timing we looked and looked for a used one in the size we wanted and would have grabbed it but couldn't find one. If you search the forums, you will find very few complaints about them...far less than about any other trailer out there.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote