Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
gopher501

07 Keystone Outback door lock

Hello all, Replacing the compartment locks with a Combi-Cam lock, but wondering about the 2 door locks... Are these universal keys also?? And if so, where would be a great place to purchase a replacement lock or is there a good system that will make the door secure... Many thanks for the responses!!
gopher501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
KanTC

Yes, similar entry door locks/keys are used industry-wide, but not quite as common as the (universal) storage locks/keys.
Here's a similar discussion which gives more specifics
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16173

And, as an added note, there was a recent door lock RECALL which may have affected your Outback too.
Replacement locks are free, but would still be a similar lock to some others.
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13016

Hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher501 View Post
Hello all, Replacing the compartment locks with a Combi-Cam lock, but wondering about the 2 door locks... Are these universal keys also?? And if so, where would be a great place to purchase a replacement lock or is there a good system that will make the door secure... Many thanks for the responses!!
Almost every RV uses the same locksets for entry doors. They are either Fastec (FIC) or Global locksets. The keys are "interchangeable" meaning the blanks will fit either lock and the master keys will fit either lockset brand. However the keys are not interchangeable. FIC keys are coded HF301-HF351. Global keys are coded G301-G350. This means a FIC key coded HF322 will not fit a Global lock coded G322, but the master key will unlock either of those two codes. Your individual key will not unlock the other lock's code with the same number.

You can buy locksets, lock components and replacement keys here: http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/

The Fastech (FIC)_ website is located here:
http://www.fastecindustrial.com/default.html

The Global Lock Company is located here:
http://www.gld1.com/

I am not sure if this is true about Global locksets, but on FIC locksets, the master key only opens the slamlock, it will not open the deadbolt. So, if you're concerned about security, locking the deadbolt will offer an "extra measure" of security. Keep in mind, however, that a hammer or screwdriver or many times, even a fist will knock a hole in the relatively light construction of the door around the lockset, so essentially, no RV is "really secure".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Pmedic4

RV locksets and keys

I just looked into this also, as I needed a replacement key for my G301. I spoke with my dealer, and they sent me to 'rvlocksandmore.com', JRTJH mentioned. Short version of my earlier post is, I was shocked it was so easy to get keys for 90% of all RVs on this website, no questions asked.
I considered just getting 2 more keys, but after looking found they had a replacement lockset, with a controlled availability key set, which I ordered, and only about $20 more than just getting 2 more of the universal keys.

We all understand that RV's aren't the most secure places, but at least you know that someone with a common key couldn't get in easily or without some noise.

What I liked, is they many other options for locks for doors, and the old standard CH751, and even those slam-latch locks on the basement compartments.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
I just looked into this also,... but after looking found they had a replacement lockset, with a controlled availability key set, which I ordered, and only about $20 more than just getting 2 more of the universal keys....

OK you lost me there.... These controlled availability key sets.... I can't find them on the website and it's a completely new concept to me. All I've ever known that Fastec sells is the 50 "key coded" locksets. To my knowledge, if you order a "lockset" you get one "master code cylinder" and one "non-master code cylinder" which, when installed will allow the dealership's master key to open the (master code) slamlock and the deadbolt (non master code) that will only open with the specifically coded HF key.

Where did you find this information on "security cylinders" to fit Fastec locks? You may have found something that many owners have been searching for.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Pmedic4

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
OK you lost me there.... These controlled availability key sets.... I can't find them on the website and it's a completely new concept to me. All I've ever known that Fastec sells is the 50 "key coded" locksets. To my knowledge, if you order a "lockset" you get one "master code cylinder" and one "non-master code cylinder" which, when installed will allow the dealership's master key to open the (master code) slamlock and the deadbolt (non master code) that will only open with the specifically coded HF key.

Where did you find this information on "security cylinders" to fit Fastec locks? You may have found something that many owners have been searching for.
Here is the direct webpage - down about 3/4's of the page, to the direct information about the secure key locksets:
http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Global...6#.UyxRxBDBqMg

I attached an image from their webpage.
We all know this isn't going to greatly improve the security of our RV for someone who is serious about breaking in, but it gives me some piece of mind from the idiot drunk camper, who for some reason that he bought a 14 year old RV that happens to have the same key code you have and wanders in while your out for a few hours, cause he wants a cold beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lockset information.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	5385  

2017 Cougar 333MKS

Old 03-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

GOOD INFORMATION !!!!! Thanks for sharing... It looks like these "high security" locksets are Global Locks, not Fastec. That explains why I couldn't find them on the Fastec site

It appears Global "reasoned" that there are just too many RV's on the road and in campgrounds, all with one of about 100 different keys and 2 master keys..... It's reasonable that they came up with some "non-standard" locksets that don't function with the existing keys and it's a great thing to have for someone who wants this option.

My question, and one I didn't find an answer to is: How many different "high security" key codes are there?" The website says there is no master key and that they control access to the specific key to only those who can be confirmed to have bought that lockset, but are there 10 different codes? or 100? or 1000?

At any rate, thanks for the information, and at $35 for an entire replacement lockset with deadbolt, it's not an expensive option for someone wanting to improve a potential security "weak spot".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
Pmedic4

Number of possible key codes

The paperwork doesn't give the number of possible key codes.
The key is identical to the Global or Fastec key, but it looks like they use more pins. Probably the same number of depth for pins, but no where near a regular house pin depth variation, so it's probably 6x6 so, I would say possible 7776, maybe just 1296, and that includes unlikely choices, like a smooth key/all the same pin height.

Definitely better than the standard 70 keys for an entire master set.

2017 Cougar 333MKS

Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
bigracenut

CH751 locks?

So what is the solution to replacing the CH751 hatch door locks? Where and how much?

Thanks!

2013 Keystone Sprinter 331 RLS, "The Hillbilly Hilton"
2013 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7 Cummins
www.campingvacationnation.com
bigracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigracenut View Post
So what is the solution to replacing the CH751 hatch door locks? Where and how much?

Thanks!
I replaced mine with locks similar to these. "Tubular Cam locks" They just keep honest folks honest as the door can be popped open with a screwdriver faster than using the key. I still have the CH751 for outside shower and electrical hatch doors. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote