Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2023, 08:53 AM   #1
caseyj9

Hot water tank Stereo humming

I'm new (11 months) to the travel trailer world. Have a bugaboo issue can't seem to resolve. When the hot water is turned on (either gas or AC) the speakers on the Jensen stereo system (which is off) 'hum'. The only relief we've found is to either 1. turn stereo the stereo on and 'cover' up the hum with music, or 2. turn the stereo radio on and dial between stations and turn the volume down low.

Anybody out there have any experience with this and a possible solution?
Regards, caseyj9
caseyj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 07:05 AM   #2
Dacheedah

I am going to say the problem lies on your 12v side wiring and likely a ground issue or something plugged into your stereo like a usb phone cable . . . I would start with unpluging any inputs from the stereo including usb phone cables to see if it goes away. If it persists check the radio and hot water heater's 12v connections including switches and look at the 12v connections to make sure they are tight and well crimped. Check the fuse panel for any loose wires or connectors. If that doesn't get it I would suggest unplugging one at a time anything plugged in like the antenna and also wonder if it's all the speakers or only one. I have chased this issue with a car stereo and it ended up being speaker wire having nicked insulation that was coming in contact with the metal body.

Army, 7th ID 7th MP Co
Retired LEO
9-1-1 Director
Dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 07:28 AM   #3
caseyj9

thanks for your help Dacheeda. Also thank you for your service to this country both military and LEO.

The 'hum' only occurs with hot water on, so is it worth focusing on the sound system vs. the hot water system grounding?

Also hum only occurs in one of four speakers (two inside, two outside). Is it worth flipping wires on the speaker with the hum?

Casey O
Old 07-10-2023, 10:58 AM   #4
caseyj9

issue with hum in stereo system when H2O htr turns on

I ended up de-wiring the culprit speaker and that resolved the hum. Can't figure out the issue tracing ground wires on hot water system, everything looks fine.

thanks for you help. If anyone has yet another idea, would appreciate your help on this.

Tags
stereo, tank, water