Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
billstuart

In our Alpine, with the slides in, the table and chairs are contained by the outside wall and the kitchen peninsula side-to-side and the forward slide wall and the couch fore & aft, so they really have nowhere to go. Add to that the fact that they're basically right over the axles and everything stays put with no tie-downs. We do drape a towel over the end of the table so that it doesn't chafe on the peninsula, though.

Happy trails,
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #22
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billstuart View Post
In our Alpine, with the slides in, the table and chairs are contained by the outside wall and the kitchen peninsula side-to-side and the forward slide wall and the couch fore & aft, so they really have nowhere to go. Add to that the fact that they're basically right over the axles and everything stays put with no tie-downs. We do drape a towel over the end of the table so that it doesn't chafe on the peninsula, though.

Happy trails,
Thanks all for the replies. I think we will do a version of the above, and try to locate another strap (one for the dining room is in the FW, the other missing) and install two pair of D-rings to secure the chairs along with some padding as you described.

Thanks.
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need Checklists?
adVentureMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #23
Bushman512000

just a thought

I was told a c-breaker is not to be used as a switch any one hear that I just think it is not a big deal to turn off out side before the trip down the road.Just 2 of Us so leave 2 chairs home and never tie them down and never have them move or so it seams.Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #24
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512000 View Post
I was told a c-breaker is not to be used as a switch any one hear that I just think it is not a big deal to turn off out side before the trip down the road.Just 2 of Us so leave 2 chairs home and never tie them down and never have them move or so it seams.Bushman
I don't think there is more risk switching a circuit breaker on the panel inside or the ON/OFF switch located on the hot water tank itself.

Cannot talk my wife into leaving two chairs at home, dang it. Sure would provide storage for my guitar or whatever once we set up camp.

Need Checklists?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #25
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512000 View Post
We used the water heater circuit breaker as a switch on the Sunline for 11 years without a problem. Admittedly, we dry camped quite a bit but it still got a workout on some trips.

Over at my ambulance station, the building was never remodeled so the lighting in the squad room and the ambulance bays has no switches on the circuits. The panel is right by the entry door so we just flip the breakers on or off as we enter or leave. The air conditioner circuit is handled the same way but doesn't get as much use.

But some folks feel that adding a switch is necessary. For those that do, I recommend that they purchase a switch that has a built in indicator light and to locate the switch where it can be easily seen.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #26
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
For those that do, I recommend that they purchase a switch that has a built in indicator light and to locate the switch where it can be easily seen.
Well, that leave ME out!

The switch on the hot water tank outside is difficult to see and reach, and there sure ain't no light on it! Still, I prefer that switch to controlling electricity to it over the CB, probably because that's the habit I developed on the other FW I had with a similar arrangement......just added the "HWT Switch On/Off" to the Arrival/Departure Checklist. Another plus is my poor back doesn't need to be bent to use the outside switch.....the CB panel is near the floor.

Need Checklists?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #27
Devildogmom

Exclamation Blows the breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyphil View Post
My unit came with a strap to go around the legs of all 4 chairs. I worried about the backs of the chairs hitting each other, so I put a towel in between.

Regarding the water heater, I agree with Hankpage. If more than 1 person will shower, i switch on the gas, otherwise I use electric only when connected to shore power.

Phil
This summer when we were camping at a 30 amp site we tried using electric for the water heater. Everytime the water heater would kick on while the a/c was running the breaker would trip outside. So, we went back to using gas for the water heater.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #28
Bushman512000

I was told C.B.are a very weak link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adVentureMan View Post
I don't think there is more risk switching a circuit breaker on the panel inside or the ON/OFF switch located on the hot water tank itself.

Cannot talk my wife into leaving two chairs at home, dang it. Sure would provide storage for my guitar or whatever once we set up camp.
But what do I know not a Electrican also turn off the outside switch wouls be cheeper than a breaker replacement right?The Wife and Me get to Holdenwald every fall and also spring is German town near there sounds like We been there also..love Mississippi,Ten,and the coon a$$ state lol have friends that have a camp ground just off the Trace...Bushman
Old 10-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #29
Bushman512000

site breaker trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildogmom View Post
This summer when we were camping at a 30 amp site we tried using electric for the water heater. Everytime the water heater would kick on while the a/c was running the breaker would trip outside. So, we went back to using gas for the water heater.
Think a weak breaker We are 30amp and run the same also fridge never triped a box breaker yet I always check for low voltage or high I have a surge box that does that before I plug in the 5er Bushman
Old 10-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #30
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildogmom View Post
If your 30 amp CB was tripping outside, at the 30 amp connection, that meant your rig was drawing over 30 amps.....odd, as the AC and hotwater heater (elec) should not have drawn that much, unless maybe they both cut on at the same time.......

It amazes me how some models are really "wired" weird. In our last FW, a Crossroads cruiser (30 amp), they had the AC, microwave and kitchen outlet all on the same circuit breaker. You had to remember to turn off the AC if you wanted to brew coffee or use the microwave!

Our Cougar 327 seems to be very intelligently wired, at least we have not had any issues like that so far. And we are using only the hot water heater on electric to save costs. Of course, it is a 50 amp rig, and we're plugged into a 50 amp circuit, but it's what's on the individual CB that matters. I believe the hot water CB is only for the hot water heater, as it was in our Crossroads Cruiser 30SK.

On the Cougar, we have tested our CB panel by turning on the main and bedroom AC at the same time (with the elec water heater on elec) to see if a breaker would go off.....ok so far. I suspect if someone turned the microwave on at the precise moment the ACs started we'd probably "blow a fuse".

Need Checklists?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #31
smiller

I'm not sure why everyone is turning off the water heater power switch when departing and arriving... there is no AC power applied when you are travelling so it doesn't matter what position the switch is in. When I depart I turn off the breaker at the pedestal, remove my shore power cord, and do the reverse when I arrive. There's no need to turn the water heater on and off as a separate operation.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #32
Brantlaker

DSI Tank

I do the same, but first I check the power to make sure it's OK

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #33
Bushman512000

Hot water heater switch

Well I forgot just 1time drained the water out on the way home.I have a 30 amp hook up on the side of the garage pluged 5er in to unpack and do all the related things after about 1/2 hour I remembered ...oh oh ...to late element was toast..lol ...stuped Bushman now a extra job needed doing lol
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #34
adVentureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I'm not sure why everyone is turning off the water heater power switch when departing and arriving... there is no AC power applied when you are travelling so it doesn't matter what position the switch is in. When I depart I turn off the breaker at the pedestal, remove my shore power cord, and do the reverse when I arrive. There's no need to turn the water heater on and off as a separate operation.
Those who control AC (shore power) to the water heater do so only when they are at a campground. Most probably don't use any heating source to the HWH while on the road, as it stay pretty warm if you want to wash your hands or whatever on the road. Or, if they think more heat is needed on the road, they'd activate the DSI and heat the HWH with propane.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I secure AC power to the HWH by using the ON/OFF switch (could also use the CB for the HWH) for one reason: to be sure there is no power to the HWH UNTIL I"VE VERIFIED THE HOT WATER TANK IS FULL of water! You only have to apply electrical power to an empty hot water tank once to help you remember those heating elements are expensive! On my "setting up camp" mental checklist is the step, "turn on hot water faucet to verify water flow before applying power to the HWH". See Bushman's post above.......

Need Checklists?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #35
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyphil View Post
My unit came with a strap to go around the legs of all 4 chairs. I worried about the backs of the chairs hitting each other, so I put a towel in between.

Regarding the water heater, I agree with Hankpage. If more than 1 person will shower, i switch on the gas, otherwise I use electric only when connected to shore power.

Phil
Ditto on the free standing table. I wedge a pillow between the chair backs and wrap the supplied strap around the four inner legs of the chairs and the table pedestal, mainly to keep them from tipping over. I also think you could turn the chairs with the backs toward the table (put something between the table and chair backs to protect them) and wrap the strap around the chair backs.
suza is offline   Reply With Quote