Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Duvalfamilycampers

Will this work???

2008 Tundra 2wd double cab 5.7l sr5.......vehicle weight 5200, payload 1680#.....hitch weight of bullet 281bhs is 666# (13%) WD, DDx 2 ,
puppies x 2, 615# , leaves about 400# left in truck....what do you think?
Duvalfamilycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Azdryheat

Sounds good, you're not over weight but close. You've got the proper equipment. Just don't climb any mountains - might be under powered.

2008 Everest 305T
2009 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
chris199

Sounds good....but be careful in camgrounds with any hills to climb on loose stone/gravel. There are two campgrounds here that my rear wheels spin and lose traction. 4WD saved the day. I never tow distances...only 100 feet or so if needed. If I didn't have 4WD, I would have hd to been rescued by a front end loader from the campground to pull me off a gravel hill.

Is the hitch weight from the scales or the brochure?

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
Duvalfamilycampers

Gitch weight was determined at 13% of dry weight I know we will never load trailer to max...Where can I go weigh it after we pick it up?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalfamilycampers View Post
Where can I go weigh it after we pick it up?
http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Duvalfamilycampers

Thanks I'll check it out
Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
bennydog

If your in Duvall Washington then you could run up to the truck stop just north of Northbend. They have a cat scale. Seems like they charged $10 or $15 and I ran thru twice, once with the whole rig and then again with just the truck, mostly looking for the change in the rear wheel weight. There is also the often closed weigh station there at the highway 18 and I90 interchange if you don't need anything official. I like using this place as I can weight all the axles and the tongue by unhitching on the scale. WSDOT even when the scales are closed still lets you see the weight and that scale is not often busy. It's easier to fiddle with the set up at the weigh station as the truck stop can be very busy and the trucks can be pretty intolerant of us little guys. I used the weigh station, and took all my tools to be able to adjust the weight distribution hitch, I tow with an equalizer so there are lots of adjustments that can be made if your inclined. If not in Duvall Washington then follow the link in an earlier post to locate.

Bob (across the valley toward Woodinville)

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
Duvalfamilycampers

I'm not worried about tow capacity I'll be fine there...more worried about TV payload with family, hitch and stuff in bed...
Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
KanTC

A couple of questions simply out of curiousity --

Who determined the 666 lbs tongue weight? Did the dealer weigh it for you (including LP & battery)?

Just curious as to where that 'figure' came from... the specs show a dry hitch weight of 590 lbs.
http://www.keystonerv-bullet.com/ind...t&model=281BHS

Should be a good match for your truck, just be cautious in how much stuff you pack, so the 'loaded'
tongue weight doesn't put you over payload. And, don't forget, the weight of your distribution hitch
has to be added into that (payload) weight total too.
[passengers + pets + any gear/supplies in the truck + hitch + loaded tongue weight]

Happy camping!

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Duvalfamilycampers

I got 666# from 13% of dry weight of trailer...will Equal-i-zer hitch change the setup?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Javi

Tongue weight isn't a formula it is a specific weight of the trailer's tongue, it can be taken either loaded or unloaded although most use the weight with the trailer loaded for a trip. This is the real weight you will be carrying on the hitch.

A weight distribution hitch will spread some of the load to the front of the TV and the rear of the trailer but that does not change the tongue weight... However you can adjust the TW according to how you load the trailer, of course this is dependent on where the storage compartments, fresh water, black and grey water tanks are located.

The 13% you speak of, is simply a split of the recommend tongue weight range 10% - 15% of the loaded trailer weight... but until you actually load and weigh the trailer and arrive at a specific tongue weight you are only guessing...