Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
Splam

High pitch squeal on main slide

I have a 2015 327RES which I purchased this summer from the original owner that has a very high pitch squeal when the main slide is extended or retracted. I have cleaned and used silicone on the square gear driven frame members and it has not helped eliminate the noise. I believe it may be coming from the round tube mechanism that is located behind the back frame on the slide. I do not know what this device is or does. Can someone tell me it purpose and how to lubricate it?
Thank you.
Splam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:27 PM   #2
Splam

Main slide high pitched squeal

I have had a very annoying high pitch squeal on my main slide since I purchased it my 5th wheel used last year. Today I lowered the membrain so I could see the slides and try and find what was causing it. What I found was on the inside channel of the slide frame is a small plastic looking button. It is located on the top of the inside channel so as the slide moves in and out this button is taking the load from the weight of the slide. The button rides on the inside bottom of the outer channel. I tried PB blaster, white lithium grease and a dry lubricant. Each of them stopped the squeal for one or two in or out passes and then the button rubs the lube off and the squeal returns. Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so what did you use to fix it?
Thank you for any advice.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:23 AM   #3
ChuckS

Sounds like a thru the frame slide out.. there are two gear packs that require lubrication from time to time according to Lippert if a squeal develops..

Lippert has a PDF out for this..

The other item that will cause the same screech sound is the wear tabs.. there are three of these located on the guide bars ( one for each gear pack ) that can also wear down and if this occurs the guide bar rubs metal to meta and will squeal

Lastly if hydraulic slide the hydrauilc piston outer wiper seal can become dry and as the piston move in or out on the dr6 seal it will squeal

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:48 PM   #4
Splam

My squeal is coming from the plastic wear button on the top of the inner sliding channel. I just can't find a lubricant that will get rid of it. I was hoping someone else had figured out something that would work.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:18 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splam View Post
My squeal is coming from the plastic wear button on the top of the inner sliding channel. I just can't find a lubricant that will get rid of it. I was hoping someone else had figured out something that would work.
My 2014 Cougar was doing the same thing. It kept getting louder and more annoying. On our way back from Las Vegas 2 years ago, the rough roads caused two of the rollers on the gear packs on the slide rams to crack. That caused the slide to drop enough to notice the floor wasn't level. When we got home and I discovered the cracked rollers, I ordered replacements and installed them and realigned the slide so it closed completely.

Since then, we haven't had any squeal and the slide runs in/out much better than before....

So, take a look at your plastic rollers on the gear packs on the slide rams. If they are worn, they'll not align with the wear tabs properly and could "mask the problem making it look like the wear tab even though it's the roller height that's causing the issue".....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIDE RAIL GEAR PACK.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	40173   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIDE ROLLER WEAR TABS 1.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	40174  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:26 AM   #6
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splam View Post
There is NO lubricant that is going to fix your problem. Between what I have told you and the others you need to listen …

If the TOP wear tab is actually making this sound that slide is way out of adjustment to start with

I asked if this was electric or hydraulic slide.l you didn’t state..

The upper wear tan inside the frame guide slot should never or hardly ever make contact with the guide bar during motion..

If this is hydrauilc slide the bottom of the slide rides up onto a wear bar.. this is the only t8me that guide bar should ever come close to the upper tab

Look at that gear pack closely

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide