Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
Courser Farm

Trouble filling fresh water tank

Hi folks. Trying to fill our freshwater tank, as we will be Boondocking for a few days. Never had this trouble with our former camper but it acts as if it’s full with the backflow but it is not full. Must I use one of those long adapters? TYIA
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
Vinnie

Are you using the "City water fill" attachment, and are the switches/levers/valves in the correct position for performing this, as opposed to living off city water, etc.

Also, does your camper have a gravity fill in another area?

Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:08 PM   #3
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Are you using the "City water fill" attachment, and are the switches/levers/valves in the correct position for performing this, as opposed to living off city water, etc.

Also, does your camper have a gravity fill in another area?
Not using city water. Using gravity feed. But I’ll check tomorrow to see if a valve needs opening or closing. Dealer had put 1/4 tank in it for walk- thru.
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Old 08-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
Not using city water. Using gravity feed. But I’ll check tomorrow to see if a valve needs opening or closing. Dealer had put 1/4 tank in it for walk- thru.
See pm for help
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
Vinnie

Huh... gravity fill shouldn't have anything restricting flow. Interested to find out what the issue actually is

Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:00 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Could be the tank vent is kinked or restricted. Have you tried filling it with the water flow turned down to say 1/2?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:36 AM   #7
Courser Farm

Still trying to fill water tank with gravity

=This is my update, and thanks to all who have responded. Will call Texas when the sun is higher there. So here's the current situation- we all know sensors aren't "very" accurate- no response needed here for that. My fresh water showed about 1/4 full, yet I wasn't able to fill it with the gravity feed. Back flow. So we put a 17 gal muck bucket under the drain to see how much was in there and gee, there was just at 17 gal in there. Along and along I tried to fill it using very low flow thru a typical water filter - the Camco taste pur that we used on our LQ. No matter how slow I cut the flow it still took none and just back washed/flowed. The hubs took off the cover to the inlet hose inside under the cushion... and it is a straight flow into the tank. The air return is not kinked either. So now folks: why can't I fill my tank? I've got one of the attachment filler "nozzles" coming Friday.... do I wait till then? Hard to believe I can't get a slow fill. Again thanks to all of your input. Keep it coming, LOL. --Kathee
Old 08-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

At this point, I would "stuff a rag" around the hose in the gravity fill and see if "LOW PRESSURE/SLOW FLOW" will push more water into the tank.

Be very VERY careful not to pressurize the tank as it isn't designed to withstand internal pressures greater than the weight of the water it holds......

What I'd suspect will happen is you'll get air/water sputtering out of the vent tube as water fills the tank beyond where it only fills currently.

How to fix it??? Probably will find the vent hose is "drooped below the top of the tank" and what's happening is it's siphoning water, filling the vent so no more air pressure can escape, so the gravity fill can't "free flow" water into the tank against that "full vent hose"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
=This is my update, and thanks to all who have responded. Will call Texas when the sun is higher there. So here's the current situation- we all know sensors aren't "very" accurate- no response needed here for that. My fresh water showed about 1/4 full, yet I wasn't able to fill it with the gravity feed. Back flow. So we put a 17 gal muck bucket under the drain to see how much was in there and gee, there was just at 17 gal in there. Along and along I tried to fill it using very low flow thru a typical water filter - the Camco taste pur that we used on our LQ. No matter how slow I cut the flow it still took none and just back washed/flowed. The hubs took off the cover to the inlet hose inside under the cushion... and it is a straight flow into the tank. The air return is not kinked either. So now folks: why can't I fill my tank? I've got one of the attachment filler "nozzles" coming Friday.... do I wait till then? Hard to believe I can't get a slow fill. Again thanks to all of your input. Keep it coming, LOL. --Kathee
Just a note... I've been at work since 5:30 am CDT
Old 08-24-2021, 08:32 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Can you post a pic of the tank and hoses? Can you verify that the vent line is open? If you can blow thu the vent line (maybe some plastic tubing in or over the vent) freely then it’s open If you hear bubbling then the water is above the vent. Is the trailer setting level when you try to fill the tank?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Courser Farm

Angry Frustrated....

In response to all your good questions and thoughts.... later we shall lower the front end of the trailer- it is "auto leveled" and certainly is level... will lower the nose and see if that is the issue. Spoke with Service Manager who wasn't sure we had a gravity fill.... spoke with the guy who did the walk thru and told me it won't fill without the pump on. What?? Serv Mgr says bring it in and drop it off- no I said, we live across the chesapeake bay from you- I need an appointment.
"We don't do appts" "we have a parking lot full of campers for repairs". So then I told them they can have it back! Called our salesman and told him my issue and told him to cut a check to pay us back, that he'll have it tomorrow. Of course he assures me that now that HE knows about it, it will be fixed as soon as possible. Please gawd, let the drop in elevation of the nose fix the issue....... I know you can't wait to hear......
Old 08-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:
In response to all your good questions and thoughts.... later we shall lower the front end of the trailer- it is "auto leveled" and certainly is level... will lower the nose and see if that is the issue. Spoke with Service Manager who wasn't sure we had a gravity fill.... spoke with the guy who did the walk thru and told me it won't fill without the pump on. What?? Serv Mgr says bring it in and drop it off- no I said, we live across the chesapeake bay from you- I need an appointment.
"We don't do appts" "we have a parking lot full of campers for repairs". So then I told them they can have it back! Called our salesman and told him my issue and told him to cut a check to pay us back, that he'll have it tomorrow. Of course he assures me that now that HE knows about it, it will be fixed as soon as possible. Please gawd, let the drop in elevation of the nose fix the issue....... I know you can't wait to hear......
Do you have this valve... see arrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_154235_LI.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	917.1 KB
ID:	35403   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201020_154259.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	35404  
Old 08-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #13
bobbecky

Is your 'gravity fill' really that or is it just the vent with a cover over it on the side of the rig? Do you have an area with valves that has a fill position on the water valve? If you do, when connected to city water, you just turn the water valve to the fill position to add water to the tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	35406  
Attached Images

bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #14
Courser Farm

valves....

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...1&d=1629831445

I don't know if these thumbnails will show up, but the answer to Javi is NO. LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-5487.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	35407   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5488.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	35408  
Old 08-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #15
Javi

Quote:
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...1&d=1629831445

I don't know if these thumbnails will show up, but the answer to Javi is NO. LOL
Can't really see it in the photo because of the angle.. but there should be a vent with a wire mesh cover inside the fill in addition to the one with the twist cap..

Is there?

If so when you put the garden hose in the fill opening and turn on the water you should hear air escaping from the small screen covered port. You can also try covering it with your thumb and see if it changes the sound..

I can tell you that the tank has to vent in order to fill... and as I said over the phone it isn't all that unusual for the vent hose to be to deep in the tank and it will get covered with water and not vent.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #16
Courser Farm

Javi- I blew into the tank with my lips around the "hole" and it spurted a small spray of water out of the vent so I don't think it is clogged. The vent is plastic like a tiny colander but flat. After the boss gets home from bushhogging we will do like a cow and tip it. I could do it but want him here so no blame on jane. I am putting our TPS sensors back on this rig right now so I'm not totally wasting time. tick tock
Old 08-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Your fresh water fill is not connected to your "utility center". In fact, they are on opposite ends of the trailer. The utility center is in the front basement and the fresh water tank gravity fill is on the roadside rear corner of the trailer. I believe the issue you're having is an "air lock/water lock" in the vent tube that's preventing "gravity fill" through the 1" fill line. The vent lines are "routed by the factory" with a dip in them to prevent water from sloshing/siphoning out the vent when towing with a full tank. That creates a "hard to fill tank" in some trailers. Yours is one of those "some trailers"... The next 50 off the assembly line may not have the same problem, then maybe 40 of them would.... It's "water in the vent line" blocking the air from escaping that's causing the gravity feed to "plug up and splash out of the fill port"....

Lowering the nose of the trailer probably won't help. The way I think your tank is installed under the rear dinette seating area, the vent hose and gravity fill connection are on the forward edge of the tank, so lowering the nose of the trailer will just "tilt the water level toward the fill port" and likely make it harder to push water into the tank.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:19 PM   #18
Courser Farm

No Cows Were Hurt in the Solving of This Problem

Happy Camper here. Well, happy home on the range. Alan cut a piece of cheap (read not nice and heavy) garden hose about 2 foot long and screwed it to the hose etc and gently gently shoved it down the fill hole.... and Eureka! it immediately began filling. Had NO backflow or back wash at all! Cancelled our hateful trip to the dealer and popping a top. THANKS SO SO MUCH TO ALL YOU PATIENT PEOPLE WHO OFFERED SO MANY SUGGESTIONS! I hope someday to be able to give some constructive help to others. Happy trails folks!
Old 08-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #19
Javi

There ya go...
Old 08-24-2021, 01:49 PM   #20
Sarge2

Once again.... I love it when a plan comes together!
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, tank, water